Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month banded and my port flipped

So I went in for my first fill today. The doctor gave me a shot of lidocaine and then stuck the needle in to find my port. He found it, but broke the needle and had to get another one. He poked me again, dug around and pressed really hard on my stomach for a couple more minutes with no luck. Then he gave the nurse a chance, she did the same thing for about as long...still no luck.

They took me back to the xray room and had me lay down. He inserted the needle again and dug around some more with additional pressing while the xray tech took a bunch of xrays. He still couldn't get it. At this point I am bawling my eyes out. It hurt so much.

Long story short, I have to go in next Thursday to have them open me up and flip my port around. This is bullsh*t. I went in for a fill and all I got was pain and my stomach gushing blood. I bled through multiple bandaids and my gauze.

Any of you experience a flipped port?

Wow that's too bad. I am sorry to hear that. How could it flipped so fast?

Wow that's too bad. I am sorry to hear that. How could it flipped so fast?

No idea. They didn't really explain much. I will probably know more once he opens me up and fixes it.

That's really too bad... I'd be pissed off as well. I hope your surgeon has a good explanation. I've heard of this happening here & there in some of the posts, but I can't help but think it's an error of sorts on the "installers" part. This is not an educated comment, just a feeling. Good luck.....I hope you're on your way soon.

Sorry to hear this.

Have u ever had them treat u like that during other fills? I just had my first fill. No numbing or local. Just had me do like a half sit up then he put the needle in and had me relax back down slowly. I hardly felt a thing. What happened to u sounds very aggressive on the medico's part.

Have u ever had them treat u like that during other fills? I just had my first fill. No numbing or local. Just had me do like a half sit up then he put the needle in and had me relax back down slowly. I hardly felt a thing. What happened to u sounds very aggressive on the medico's part.

This was my first fill ever.

I have had similar experiences, my band was placed on 9/27/13 and I have had several fills and the majority of them are very painful that require multiple sticks and end in lots of blood. I have asked about there being a issue with it because I have been told it should not be that difficult and the most they think is that it is laying sideways and because they can eventually access it nothing has been done. Yesterday was the worst, I was having issues so they took Fluid out first time was fine but didn't feel relief so they went for a second time and it was horrible, lots of pressing and pain 2 needles because 1 bent and ended with bleeding through my band aid and clothes.

Edited by Erica SRQ

That sounds horrible, and very similar to my experience. I have a palm-sized bruise on my stomach.

My situation was just like yours. Went in for my first fill and after 10 min of him poking around sent for an X-ray to confirm flipped port. That was on a Friday and Monday was in surgery to fix it. It's disappointing for sure :( I'm sorry you have to go through it

I had my port fixed today!

I had my port fixed today!

I'm hoping everything went well for you and you can finally get back to being you and healing up. Good luck :)

I had my band placed and after the first fill it flipped as well. They went back in and with a simple outpatient procedure fixed it, I just had my second fill and so far so good. I did not experience the painful procedure in the office like you did though because I knew mine had flipped, if I bent over it would stand on the edge and poke up. I am so sorry this happened the way it did for you, hopefully once it is repaired things will go smoothly for you! Take care.

Edited by pplp

Many have port flips after surgery. Don't worry they will fix it and tell him to give you a fill while he is in there.