Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Vertical Plication without lapband results

In November, I got the lapband with plication and now it's March and lost 48lbs. I was doing great until I experienced a constant pain in my left side of my abdominal where the top of the band is. I had the pain for a whole day. I tried Mylanta and Gas X and nothing worked. I had some Vicodin and pain went away but the pain came back when it weared off. So I went to my lapband dr and found out I had erosion due to an ulcer. So the lapband has to come out. I was sad because I was doing good with the band but dr reminded me that I still have the plicatiion and should help me continue to lose weight. I have 60 plus lbs to go. So is there anyone out there with this experience or at least had plication alone share with mei their story and loss?

There definitely are some Plication-only people, just fewer and you may have to search on Plication to find them. There is a study going on as well, and a guy who is part of that. He only had Plication. Also there are Lapband people with Plication who have never had a fill, so it seems like it's the Plication that's working for them and the band is just a backup. Sorry yours has to come out but you are doing really well 48 down since November is terrific! Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. Sending best wishes your way.

Thank you so much Bandista. I really appreciate your input. I will definitely keep everyone posted on this so if anyone else goes through this, it can provide some help.

@@batntab

I had Lap Band surgery 10 years ago. (and 6 years ago had a child). I had great sucess with my band loosing the weight, but did experience during that decade, vomiting (not severe) sometimes food wouldnt go down, bloating, Acid reflux...but over all I would do it again in a heart Beat. I was never one to really exercise. my last band fill was 5 years ago after the birth of my child. After, I never again had a fill and most likely since I went back to my normal weight of 130, never consulted the Doc again. Last year started gaining weight...30 pound packed on..Had Endoscopy which revealed Band Way..way low slippage.

So now the band is out/./its been a month, creaping up on weight again. Getting Sleeve or Plication is my next way to go...

Any one had Either Plication or Sleeve after Band? Im considering going to Tijuana from Orlando.

@@Laura1014

My Update - it's been a month after my dr removed the band. So I've been using plication as my only physical restriction. Since then, I lost another 10 pounds, totaling 58 lbs. I feel that the plication does still restrict me and keeps me full faster. But I'm still using the lapband mentality of high Protein and no Water 30 min, during or 30 min after meals. I still keep my meals under 1000 cal but I eat anything. I feel the plication is keeping me from eating more. For me it's portion and it's working for me. I drink lots of water and I don't exercise BUT I do plan to in a few wks when I feel stronger and ready. A friend told me she did plication only and she lost 90lbs in a yr. But I can only vow on my friend and me and in short term. Keep me updated on any new experiences or info you find out. Good luck. :)

SLLEEVEGOOD: WHAT IS PLICATION? I HAD A LAPBAND FOR 4 YEARS, DID VERY WELL AT FIRST, THEN AFTER 6 MONTHS STARTED HAVING SEVERE PROBLEMS. HAD THE SLEEVE IN 2013 AND DOING GREAT. MY SON HAS THE LAPBAND BUT NOT LOOSING WEIGHT, BUT GAINING, I WOULD LIKE TO TELL HIM ABOUT THE PLICATION.

Hi Sleevegreat, plication is when they fold the stomach in half and sew it. It's like the sleeve only that they don't remove some of ur stomach.

So glad I found you. I had lapband w/plication 7/11 and lost 124 pounds..Life was pretty good and I had about 30 pounds to go to reach my goal. Well, on Thursday of this week I began having horrible upper abdominal pain and very bad pains in my left shoulder. Thursday night the vomiting began - bad vomiting - projectile and it was black. I was throwing up blood..had a slight upset stomach. I called my doctor and he said to come in 1st thing on Friday. I was up all night - thought I was going to die. I was at the doctor at 6:30am. He deflated my band as he said he thought I had a band slippage. He told me to return by 3pm and let him look again. Well, crazy me went on to work. I stayed there about an hour or so and somehow drove myself back to the doctor's office. I couldn't even walk into his office without assistance. Vomiting blood still continued and the pain was awful. I ended up in the ER. I had a flouroscope, Xrays and CT scan. By 11pm, I was in surgery. My band had slipped and scar tissue was bad. My band was removed but my plication remained in place. I was sent home the next day (Saturday afternoon). It is now Sunday AM. I hurt like I have been beaten. No vomiting (thank you God) and no shoulder pain. I must say, I do miss my band - it was a crutch. But I do still have the plication and I will loose the other 30 pounds. I plan to join WW again to help me...I am just not strong enough to do this on my own - that is why I had weight loss surgery in the 1st place. Will I have to have any other surgery? I don't know..I just know I could have died the way things were going..I don't ever want to go through that experience again. I will be chatting with you guys now since I no longer have my band. If anyone else has gone through this, please let me know how you are doing now and if the plication is going to be my friend. Also, what dietary changes will need to be made. I followed the lapband diet well, I just don't know if plication alone has some other restrictions or something you have found is a problem. Thanks for all your help and for reading this. I was so scared...

Melinda in Florida

Hi Short and Chunky, I'm sorry that you went thru that scary ordeal. I can relate. I too had the pain and went thru ER and quick surgery and was so scared. The lapband was my crutch too. It stopped me from eating too much and I cried when I heard that they had to remove it after being successful with it. After that, I refuse to insert a new one because I'm afraid it might happen again. My doctor told me to continue with the lapband guidelines and I should still lose weight because of the plication in place that will still restrict me. It's been about 6 wks and I lost about 10 lbs more (total of 57 lbs) and do find myself eating a little more but I stop and remember that I've been doing too good in the last 5 mo and refuse to undo everything I went thru. I began using WW frozen Entrees and it keeps me in control with the portions during the week. I do eat a little more when I eat out during wknds but I do feel some restriction with the plication as well. I do feel full with the plication and when I begin to burp I know it's a sign to stop too (when I had lapband I did that too-only difference the band would cause spasms if I overeat and this was my crutch, so I ate less to avoid the spasm, now I don't have that). My will power is low too but after losing 57 lbs and feeling great, I remind myself it's a new lifestyle and have to continue to work at it for my health and my family. I have to set an example and show everyone including myself that I'm not giving up and plan to never go back to that unhealthy state. Thinking this way is helping me go forward. I will keep u posted on my progress. Please keep me posted on yours. :)

Edited by batntab

BatnTab - well, things aren't going so well. I am exercising and walking 3 miles everyday. I am trying to eat like I still have my band, but darn it, I am hungry. I have managed to gain 9 pounds so now I am angry with myself. I am drinking lots of Water, gave up all diet soda and faithfully attend my surgeon's support group..I wish I had my will-power back. The doctor is not concerned - yet- and says this is normal and just to wait it out. It will stop and my body will start responding. He said it is the just my body adjusting. I hope it adjusts soon, I can't gain anymore weight! I have noticed that my portions are larger even though I still use my small plates - they are just fuller. This whole thing makes me angry, I just wish it made me angry enough to stop stuffing my face. Hope you are doing well. I keep re-reading your post for support and encouragement. Wow, I never thought about "not having my band". I guess the joke is on me. No additional surgery talked about yet (it has been 6 weeks) but I will be talking with him soon if the scale doesn't stop going up. I would be happy with just staying the same weight for right now.

Melinda in Florida

Hi Short & Chunky, sorry to hear that u r not doing so well. My loss has slowed down a little. I used to avg. 10 lbs a month. Since April 28 I dropped, 7 lbs, totaling 63 lbs today. I just started exercise this past Sunday to see if I can lose more. My dr said that I will hit a plateau. I can relate that I feel more hungrier and my will power is slipping and I gain a couple of pounds but I get upset and lose it right away. I do the 3 day military diet every other wk and it helps me lose a little more. I think ur dr is right. Ur body needs to adjust and maybe u hit that plateau. U might need to do something different to get results. That's why I started this diet every other wk. You can look up this diet on the internet and c if it works for u. Since we are eating under 1000 cal, this diet should be easy bc it's a little more cals. If u stick with it, u will c results the very next morning. The most I lost in the 3 day was 6 lbs and the least was 3 lbs. My daughter lost 8 lbs so it depends on every person. Check it out and let me know how it goes.