Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there a slower loser?

I had my surgery in Dec. I'm three plus months out and only lost 18 lbs total.

I'm 43, 5'5", BMI of 39

I didn't lose weight before the surgery so the 18 lbs is total pre and post.

I keep track of every bite and exercise.

Anyone else this slow? I mean from the beginning, I'm not talking platos.

With an initial weight of 210, your starting BMI is lower than most I see here, so it is not fair to you to compare rate of loss. Instead of focusing on the scale, let's focus on the program.

How compliant are you with the guidelines? If you are compliant, then you have nothing to worry about. Your excess weight will come off. No, it will not come off overnight, but as long as you stick to the program, you will lose.

If people are not compliant, then they will struggle, but I think we all know this. So, I would suggest focusing on compliance, not the scale. It measures weight, not fat.

If you insist on measuring your success by the scale, then over the long run, it will be a measure of your compliance. Simple as that.

Very true and good to hear.

But I am truly wanting to find people similar to me and MY experience. Maybe people in the same boat to talk to and share ideas.

Hmmm ... I wish you well on your journey.

I don't believe in "slow losers". We are all going to lose at the rate we are designed to. The main thing is that you are losing. Try not to think of it as "only" 18 Lbs. Those 18 Lbs are no more or no less important than the next 18 Lbs you will lose.

Also try not to compare your journey with anyone else's. Just like all the cars on the freeway, there will always be someone driving faster than you. Stay strong!

I think it's easy to say things like that if you're not the slow loser.

I want to meet people who are going through what I'm going through. There has to be more out there like me.

Come on people, where you at?

Hi,

We have similar starting weights, I'm told now (after surgery) it is much harder for us to lose and we won't see big numbers like other people who started at a higher weight/BMI. Its depressing. I lost all my weight pretty much during the presurgery liquid Protein thing two weeks BEFORE I even had surgery. Then some more the first week after surgery when I was unable to eat.

I Have only lost 5-6 pounds since the first week after surgery 7-8 weeks. My nutritionsit said it is not a stall just my rate of losing. I don't know about you but it is frustrating for me. The nurses and receptionist at my general Doctors office even asked me when I was having the surgery - when was it sceduled, this was 7 weeks after I had it!!! I've even had the thought occassionally that I could have lost 5 pounds in 8 weeks without the surgery and did before easiliy....but I know that is just negative thinking and try to stay away from those thoughts. If I could have done it and kept it off without surgery I would have, but didn't. I can only hope surgery will prove different over time.

We may just be slow going but over time we will be healthier even if it takes forever. We just have to keep following directions an hope it will come off eventually.

Keep positive and good luck.

It's so nice to know I'm not alone. I knew there had to be others.

How do you stay motivated. What foods work best for you? Slow losers must need different tricks.

I am finally starting to see results. It's taken a lot of time but my pants are getting looser. I've now lost 25 lbs since Dec. 5, so four months out. Slow but I'm happy it's starting to show in my clothes at least. I'll have to buy new pants soon!

Egg, I'm glad to hear it it's picking up for you. I was not a quick loser either, being post menopause and with a 36 BMI to start with. Some tricks I have for picking up the pace a bit:

• Don't sit for more than an hour. Get up and walk around for 5 minutes at least once an hour. It's a pain, but it really helps.
  • Walk every single day, even if only for 15 or 30 minutes. Two 30 minute walks a day or even four 15 minute walks a day helps a lot.
  • If you haven't already, try altering your combination of carbs, fats and Protein. I switched to very low carbs, about 40-50% fats, and 40% protein. Some people are just more sensitive to carbs than others.

Good luck to you :)

Thanks! All good suggestions. Thanks so much.

NMJG what are some examples of what you eat a day? I am also losing slowly, I track my foods on myfitnesspal but I have noticed that I am not getting enough Protein in.

I'm like you Egg! I was sleeved 2/3 and have lost 23lbs. I follow the rules, just a slow loser.

Kmo, I don't want to highjack this thread, so I'll pm you.

NMJG thank you!