Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm almost 6mo post GS. On other places in our forum, I've seen recipes or other types of references to things like whole grain pastas, Aldi light wraps etc. I have had a few pieces of sushi and about half a corn tortilla, but other than that, I really haven't had a grain-based carb since surgery. To be honest, the idea of something like Pasta or bread-like substance does not sound good at all. For some reason, it makes me feel like--well "over-full nauseous" just to think about taking a bite of pancake/waffle/flour carb of your choice.

I'm curious if this is "normal"? Does it go away; I mean will I eventually be able to eat half a sandwich? I'm just as happy if the answer to the last question is no. I love spaghetti squash and I don't see the need to add breads back in. I'm just curious. Thanks!

Other than the occasional 1/2 of a flour tortilla for a wrap or a taco shell, or maybe one silce of toasted wheat bread for a sandwich, I don't eat many grain-based carbs. I just told myself when I got this surgery that bread and other grain-based carbs weren' going to be a part of my daily life. I've had Pasta once early after my surgery but it just didn't tatse as good as I remember which is a good thing for me so I just haven't had any since:-) So yes, I have the same feeling my taste and desire for foods have completely changed for the better.

All things in moderation, especially after surgery. I occassionally will have half a piece of toast, or a little brown rice (2Tb or so), but that's as much room as I give such things in my new tummy. Also, I find myself being satisfied with that, which makes me happy.

I'm with you guys...basically not adding Pasta or bread to my meal plan...no need...basically :)

I have spaghetti squash, yum... or smashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes... zucchini for layers in lasagna; there are ways to still be satisfied with similiar textured foods to make you feel like you are having the "real thing" lol... I made a pizza the other day with a cauliflower crust...believe it or not, it wasn't bad :)

One of my favorite Snacks are parmesan chips that I make and a little salsa... crispy and delicious ...

I don't EVER plan on putting them back into my plan like before sleeve... bad for me, bad for tummy ;)

Edited by BigGirlPanties

Heather, I'm with you. I have the occasional half slice of whole grain toast or cracker, but heavy carbs just don't sound appealing to me anymore. The exception is tortilla chips/salsa and pizza. I rarely eat pizza, but it does still call my name (at least my favorite NY style pizzeria does - the others do not tempt me at all).

I am relieved, to say the least, because refined carbs were a real problem for me pre-sleeve. Loved rice, potatoes, bread, etc.

I am almost three years out and I eat whole grain carbs. I couldn't eat more than a few bites till somewhere after year one. Everything sits pretty well now except flour tortillas. Even a few bites is too much. But I often have a sandwich for lunch on one slice of whole wheat bread. I and often eat 1/4 cup oats cooked in 3/4 cup Water at Breakfast. With dinner, I often have 1/2 cup of brown rice, sweet potato or irish potato. I occasionally eat white bread, pizza Pasta or white rice.

Lynda

I'm not a believer in "all things are ok in moderation." I'm happy not to eat these things now. I'd rather fill my belly up with other things.

And now I order sushi / rolls without rice- yum! :)

I don't eat bread and have only had a small bit of Pasta and I'm 10 months out. I just really don't like the way these things make me feel. I do however eat a piece of pizza every now and then. I won't give up everything! ;)

Edited by Dorian

Heather, I'm with you. I have the occasional half slice of whole grain toast or cracker, but heavy carbs just don't sound appealing to me anymore. The exception is tortilla chips/salsa and pizza. I rarely eat pizza, but it does still call my name (at least my favorite NY style pizzeria does - the others do not tempt me at all).

I am relieved, to say the least, because refined carbs were a real problem for me pre-sleeve. Loved rice, potatoes, bread, etc.

I used to be all about the carbs! Rice, potatoes and especially cakes and breads. This is why I was wondering how permanent this was. I admit that I have been playing with some black bean brownie recipes and although there's nothing inherently "no-no" about the versions I've made, having just one a night has significantly increased my carb intake for the day and I've noticed that I have more trouble being hungry soon after and more willing to look around for other things to snack on. So, I've decided that for now, I'm going to stop baking those--maybe keep the recipe for holiday time.

I'm with you guys...basically not adding Pasta or bread to my meal plan...no need...basically :)

I have spaghetti squash, yum... or smashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes... zucchini for layers in lasagna; there are ways to still be satisfied with similiar textured foods to make you feel like you are having the "real thing" lol... I made a pizza the other day with a cauliflower crust...believe it or not, it wasn't bad :)

One of my favorite Snacks are parmesan chips that I make and a little salsa... crispy and delicious ...

I don't EVER plan on putting them back into my plan like before sleeve... bad for me, bad for tummy ;)

I love your "alternates"! I've made cauliflower crust pizza twice now. It's so good that I haven't even opened the CarbQuick that I bought and I don't know that I plan to any time soon.

I'm not a believer in "all things are ok in moderation." I'm happy not to eat these things now. I'd rather fill my belly up with other things. <br> And now I order sushi / rolls without rice- yum! :)

Curious about riceless rolls. Can you explain or describe? Thanks

I'm not a believer in "all things are ok in moderation." I'm happy not to eat these things now. I'd rather fill my belly up with other things. <br> And now I order sushi / rolls without rice- yum! :)

I thought it was a reference to sashimi. Is it not?

I'm not a believer in "all things are ok in moderation." I'm happy not to eat these things now. I'd rather fill my belly up with other things.

And now I order sushi / rolls without rice- yum! :)

No rice for either raw or not: raw fish with a little sauce, maybe a speck of avocado. Or regular cooked rolls with no rice: made the same way with either seaweed or soy paper on the outside- they can also wrap it in thin slices of cucumber.

Here's a photo I took earlier this week when eating with a friend: rice at top, no rice at bottom

post-175202-0-85480100-1393900855_thumb.jpg

Black Beans are healthy, naturally occurring carbs. And a great source of Protein. I eat as many beans as I want.

mmmmmm...mind if I ask how you make parmesan chips (this could be a very dumb question?)....thanks