Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey y'all. Yesterday, I met with the NUT & the program coordinator. It turns out that I have to meet with the surgeon (on 03/07/14), get an upper GI (fun?!), and lose 15 lbs- THAT'S IT!!! The only thing standing between me & this surgery is a measly 15 lbs!! (Ok, I realize that losing ANY weight can be very difficult, and that 15 lbs = a bowling ball worth of blubber, but I'm choosing to look at it as a 6-wk challenge!).

So, there are 2 things that I am TERRIFIED about. Please, let me share them with you!

1.) The dreaded head hunger. I see so many people saying they 'wish they would've known about this" in advance. Well, thanks to you folks, I do know about it in advance, but what can i do?? I already take omeprazole daily for GERD. I'm also in voluntary counseling 3x/month to deal with the root causes of my overeating/emotional eating. Is this enough to prepare? Do I need to write Pasta & ICE CREAM a break-up letter or something? I've already given up sweets, which was/is very hard for me, but I want to get ready now so I can deal with the changes post-op.

I really, really love food. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with it (but I probably was at some point in my past, like college). I'm trying to tell myself, 'I don't need to have food funerals, because in a year or two, I can have a bite of this or that if I really want it". And that's true. I think that's one of the best advantages of the sleeve. Still- major MAJOR life changes are afoot. I'm committed to these changes, but scared. I have sworn to myself and my DH2B that I will commit to following doctor's orders 100%. <---It seems like all the successful WLS people I know do this. So how do you prepare for/deal with head hunger?

2.) Actual pain. I have never been admitted to a hospital. I've never had surgery, and I've only received 2 stiches in my entire life (had a mole removed a few years ago). I cried like a baby (could also have been that anesthesia the doctor shot into my neck, but still...). I am SO SCARED of pain. I am a wuss when I have blood drawn & feel like I'm going to pass out. I did pass out once. I've only had an IV once, when I went to the ER the morning after a drunken bicycle accident (I was 23, it was 8 yrs ago, leave me alone :). I couldn't STAND to even look at the tube in my arm, and needless to say, that was the last time I BUI'ed. (FYI-in Flagstaff, where I went to college, you COULD get cited for a BUI (biking under the influence)). In high school, my teacher was reading aloud from "The Hot Zone", talking about the ravages of ebola virus, and I passed out in the middle of class. Just fell out of my chair and woke up on the floor. Yes, mortifying.

My point here is that I am a complete wuss and I feel like I'm going to pass out/vomit if I see an IV or (God FORBID) a drainage tube coming out of me. I'm so, so scared. Just as an FYI, I am generally a tough cookie. I work in a difficult industry and occasionally see terrible things happen to my clients. But I just don't have experience being a patient for anything worse than a respiratory infection or a weird mole. THIS IS MAJOR SUGERY...I'm scared.

These are the things that are freakin' me out. I'm excited for a variety of poor health conditions to improve! I'm excited to shop in regular stores again!! I'm excited to hopefully live a long, healthy life and meet my future grandchildren!!! I'm so thrilled about beginning a new, healthier chapter in my life. I'm not worried about friends or family because if they don't support me, f*ck 'em. I'm mostly excited & positive about this whole experience but those 2 things just keep nagging at me.

Thank you for reading & letting me vent. It feels good to get it out. Good luck to all of you on your journey!

-Sarah

I have not been sleeved very long but I can tell you already that the pain of recovery (not really all that bad) and all the negative side effects not even come close to the positive things that I am feeling!

I have not been sleeved very long but I can tell you already that the pain of recovery (not really all that bad) and all the negative side effects not even come close to the positive things that I am feeling!

That is great to hear!

WEll good for you for making this decision. It will be the easiest thing you have ever done for yourself.

You can tough it out for 48 hours! I promise.

If you don't get an IV you don;t get to be put under, get meds, iv fluids. So you just tough it out and move on.

Not everyone gets a drain. I did and it wasn't a big deal. I didn't really notice it unless I was nude. I wrote snug pants and a zip up jacket and tucked it in my underware and pants or in my pocket.

The sooner and more you are up and walking after you wake up the less pain you will have from the gas. I did not have any pain other than that gas. It sat on my breastbone and it was no joke. Just ask for meds when you are in pain. I took a shower the next morning after my surgery and I felt amazing, I was up and shopping on Sunday evening ( I had surgery friday afternoon) with no issues. I flew home monday and it was a comfortable flight.

You will be just fine. Let's put something into perspective for a second. There are children who have to have huge IV lines and pics and all sorts of treatments and they tough it out. You can get through this pretty simple surgery! I promise,

Share your concerns with your surgeon.

I had a super easy recovery but I did prepare myself for the worst. I spent 3 months on this site reading everyone's experiences and have learned a lot.

Talk to your surgeon about your fears. I have to believe there are things they can do to make it less scary. For example, I was injected with a local anesthetic before they inserted my IV. Though the shot stung, it made the IV insertion. So much better.

Once in my hospital room (which is where I woke up) I had a morphine drip. I slept with the trigger in my hand. I pushed that button every time I thought about it. I did not have any real discomfort in the hospital. Mostly, for me, it was that deep stitch. And that felt like muscle pain.

By the way, you can't get too much morphine, as it's regulated. My point is that I made sure I was hitting the button to keep the meds a coming. I think it helped.

No real pain at home, either. Again, just that darn stitch. You'll. feel that for a while.

Good luck on your journey!

Everything you mentioned is normal and has been experienced before with other Sleeve recipients. The Pre Surgery Prep nurse is awesome and will see too your nervousness and nausea. they are there to make you feel as comfortable as they can to assure you that all is going to be fine.

I don't have issues with head hunger. I too love food. I cooked in restaurants for many years so love to cook as well. Once they cut away 80% of your stomach they take with it the hunger hormone which i can tell the difference now. I have no cravings. Which is amazing for me.

I didn't have a morphine pump. My Post op surgery nurses were on top of my pain issues and had it under control quite well. I spent one night in the hospital and was home early afternoon.

I want to congratulate you on detoxing from sugar BEFORE your surgery. Kudo's for that. I did the same thing and am grateful for it.

I didn't have any drain tubes hanging out of me. So not sure if that was just my experience or if that's a common practice after The Sleeve procedure. Perhaps if you don't Opt for Laparoscopic then perhaps is when a drain tube is needed.

You will do just fine. They will take very good care of you. Will address the fear, nausea as soon as your admitted.

Sincerely, Sherri

Definitely ask your doctor lots of questions. Some people have a drain, some don't (I didn't). IV's are pretty standard, but they really don't hurt as long as you don't watch them put them in ;).

Head hunger is something we ALL deal with. Eventually, we all go through those moments. They're not hard to deal with if you're equipped to deal with it emotionally (you know it's coming and you have a game plan on how you're going to handle it when it comes). For example, if you're a spiritual person you might pray through it or turn to your bible or whatever holy book your faith might use. If you have good friends that are willing to talk anytime, you might call one of them up to talk through it. Or you can drink Water, go for a walk, write in a journal ... Whatever you think will help you get through it, plan on doing that whenever you feel the urge to eat something you shouldn't.

You are well on your way to success - these are all very valid things to worry about and it shows how much you WANT to be successful! You're gonna rock this! :)

Head Hunger isn't pain...it's when you think you are hungry...it's all in your "head"... I found a cup of something hot (decaf tea/broth) would help a lot...

but overall you seem to be in the right place in your head :)

Absolutely let them know about your anxiety...they can give you something to help with that. I am not a needle person either, I have fainted when they tried to draw blood because I have little, rolling veins... so I get nervous about it everytime and feel like I'm going to pass out....so you are not alone!

OMG you guys, thank you so much for all of the wonderful, caring advice! XOXOXO to all o' y'all!

If you don't get an IV you don;t get to be put under, get meds, iv fluids. So you just tough it out and move on.

LOL, TRUE!

When they do any needles do not watch them. Turn your head to the other side and focus on your toes on the opposite foot. I try to think about my toenails. It works.

Once the IV is in you don't really feel it. I had my first last year when I had pneumonia. I got to the point where I was moving around and trying to hold my phone and the alarm would go off that I had stopped the flow. It didn't even hurt.

You will be fine.