Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez in Piedres Negras

Anyone here with Dr. Alvarez? Can you tell us your experience? I have researched alot of surgeons and this guy appears to down right AWESOME at the sleeve and even does an over-sew to insure no leaks!!

Please post any experience you have going over the border and how well you liked your experience..

Thanks !!

I had my surgery two weeks ago with Dr. Alvarez. It was a great experience. He is very friendly and checks on you at least four times a day. They have two girls there who are there for you and your family, in case you need anything. It is not like the US as far as nurses go. There are 3-4 patients there at a time and there are 4-6 nurses and 3 doctors there most of the time. You don't have to wait for anything, they are right on the ball and meet every need you have. If I had to do it again I would go back.

My boyfriend had surgery with him at the beginning of January. He has had no issues. He can certainly eat much less than I could when I was at his stage in the game, so Dr Alvarez must make his sleeves pretty small.

I was sleeved by Dr. Alvarez on Sept 27, 2013. I'm down 97 pounds. I am so glad I choose him. I love my sleeve. I had a great experience and my care was great. I never had to ask for anything other than an extra blanket. Any questions let me know.

Okay, I want to use Alvarez to do my daughter's sleeve, but am afraid with all the violence and boarder mess going on. Plus, someone on another thread stated in '06 he did not have the credentials he states he has. So, are you at all worried about the crime on the boarder or his credentials? Did you actually contact the societies he states he belongs to? Did you negotiate the price on the website at all? I really want answers to these questions. He looks absolutely brilliant on paper, but squeaky clean sets off my alarms too.

Pegsbored,

After much research we both( my Fiancé and I ) used Dr. A. He is all that he says he is and MORE!!!!!

We are both ICU nurses here in Texas and wouldn't let some of the surgeons here touch us or even our dog with a ten foot pole. Hehehe

We had our surgery on march 15th, 2014 and as of today I am at goal.!!!!!!

If you want pictures let me know-- Dr. A has probably been the best experience I have ever gone through in my entire life!!!

Starting weight 285-290.

Today's weight- 205 !!!!

We are also in his next book coming out soon in the testimonials section.

Oh and I forgot to tell you that the violence and everything that you hear about is more so and probably in Juarez or any of the other border towns but Piedras Negras is pretty calm and plus you don't ever have to worry, they come over the border pick you up at the holiday inn express that they put you at and take you directly back over the border straight into the hospital which is less than a mile from the Border......it was absolutely an AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!!

BECAUSE I HAD THE SAME CONCERNS YOU HAVE!!!

I'm so glad you posted this! I'm getting sleeved with Dr Alvarez on Tuesday, and I'm totally excited/nervous about it. Thank you!

You will do great. 10 months out today with my surgery from Dr Alvarez. I'm down 156 pounds and still losing. I can't thank him enough.

I had my surgery done with Dr. Alvarez on July 8th! I am down 29.1 lbs and doing great. I went there after seeing how successful my sister and her mother-in-law's surgery had been. He is a top notch guy with quality staff. I would recommend to anyone!

I two spoke with Susan and did the history and health check. I will go through the gastric sleeve surgery with Dr Alvarez in Piedras Negras Mexico in Feburary of 2015. It will cost me $8500 plus passport and round trip to and from San Antonio Tx. I have to deposit $1000 dollars first though. I'm working on that now. Then I'll send $1000 per month until February 2015 and go with the rest leftover to pay. :)

I also have been doing a lot of research and have decided on Dr Alvarez. I recently was finding that some of the doctors over in TJ do the sleeve cheaper, but I just can't get past how confident I feel in all I have researched about Dr Alvarez. To me it is worth the little more money to have a sense of "calm and confidence" I feel. I am aiming for the last week of January 2015. I am very excited and eager to start this journey. Thank you to all who post about your experiences...that is a tremendous help for those of us researching. Thank You!

@@ShawnS16 yes :) exactly! I can't found any reason not to choose Dr Alvarez. The more I read about him the more excited I get. :) Tijuana is just a little to far for me. I am in Louisiana and Dr Alvarez is much closer than the other doctors. His fee is a little higher but I believe it is worth every penny. It's cheaper for me to travel to San Antonio Tx then to San Diego California. By the time I pay for everything I would be better off going to Dr Alvarez anyway. I'm sold! :) :)