Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mediterranean Tilapia

I recently purchased a cookbook at Kroger called Taste of Home, Healthy Cooking. I LOVE this new cookbook. I'm trying to get better about cooking and not relying on convienience. So, I like to find easy recipes that don't take long to fix. I've gone through the book and marked a bunch of recipes I want to try. I try to stay away from the ones with bread or Pasta, but there are still plenty in there. Plus, they have a section called dinner In 30, with quick recipes. I tried one tonight called Mediterranean Tilapia and it was delicious! Hubby loved it too. Oh, and the book has all the nutritional info for each dish too.Here's the recipe:

6 tilapia filets (6oz)

1 cup canned Italian diced tomatoes

1/2 cup water-packed artichoke hearts, chopped

1/2 cup sliced black olives

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Place filets in 9x13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top with tomatoes, artichokes, olives, and feta cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

**note- I used frozen tilapia and even put it in the pan frozen. It just takes a few more minutes to cook. Also, I drained the tomatoes first. This recipe is a little high in sodium if you use the canned ingredients but it low in calories, low in fat, and high in Protein.< /p>

Makes 6 servings

Nutritional Info: 197 Calories, 4g fat, 446mg sodium, 5g carb, 1g Fiber, 34g protein

post-196939-0-37935700-1392079441_thumb.jpg

to cut the sodium, use no salt added canned tomatoes and use fresh herbs & peppers to make your own authentic fresh Italian tomatoes. :)

I have also made the frozen fish in a greek style. Put one tablespoon of Caesar salad dressing-low fat on top of the fish. chop 1/2 cup of mushrooms. Arrange around the fish. Season mushrooms with herbs, garlic and squeeze fresh lemon on top of mushrooms and bake. The fish is creamy without all the calories and the mushrooms have a zesty lemon taste. Bake the same as your recipe (when dressing starts to brown, it is done)

i know what i am having for dinner. and i just happened to have the ingrediants in my pantry. but i got to use cod. wish i had tilipia. it goes down easier. cant wait for dinner now.

I think the cod will do just fine!

I ove tilapia, but would never corrupt it with tomatoes and the other stuff! :rolleyes: I hope that you enjoyed yours tho'! Karen..aka.kll724 B)

Edited by kll724

I recently purchased a bunch of Taste of Home cookbooks for $3 each from our local dollar store. They have some beautiful recipes in them. I have marked quite a few to try. The cooks books were likely sold so cheaply because they are from 2011 and 2012 but I didn't care about that.

If you google the recipes, you can will find them on the internet & then you can see how others rated the recipe & their suggested improvements.

I'm always looking for new recipes. I find that variety of food is key to sucess in any weight loss program. I also believe that we only get to eat a small quantity of food so it should be full, flavorful, delicious food. If something is mediocre, I don't want it. I only get 1000 - 1200 calories a day - I want them to be yummy calories. :)