Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No post operative care from abroad for reconstructive surgery.

I wanted to post this for those of you going abroad for reconstructive surgery. I know all to well about needing the skin removed and wanting to feel normal again. But I am putting this out there, when you go abroad "as I did", you have no one here for post operative care. It is very important to at least line up a PS to go to afterwards. Trying to remove stitches and trying to wing it on your own...it is crazy. Then also remember the pain meds abroad are almost nonexistent! I was given tramadol for pain, it's like taking alieve for a Migraine...it just doesn't touch the pain.

Then there are other actors like seromas that you are not aware of. This is when the body forms a sort of blister when it is trying to protect you. It can be small or it can be very large. Mine was very large, I ended up going to the hospital and sent home, then sent to another Plastic Surgeon who basically took pics of me and and asked me questions about my experience, Then sent me home. I should've had drains put in, but I was so embarrassed I waited it out. Little did I know that the seromas could turn into bursa which is scar tissue, that may cause serious complications.

Please, I am not telling you to not have the surgery. I am saying be proactive and contact a surgeon near home and see if they will take you on as an aftercare patient. If I had been told this I would've saved myself a lot of pain.

I wanted to post this for those of you going abroad for reconstructive surgery. I know all to well about needing the skin removed and wanting to feel normal again. But I am putting this out there, when you go abroad "as I did", you have no one here for post operative care. It is very important to at least line up a PS to go to afterwards. Trying to remove stitches and trying to wing it on your own...it is crazy. Then also remember the pain meds abroad are almost nonexistent! I was given tramadol for pain, it's like taking alieve for a Migraine...it just doesn't touch the pain.

Then there are other actors like seromas that you are not aware of. This is when the body forms a sort of blister when it is trying to protect you. It can be small or it can be very large. Mine was very large, I ended up going to the hospital and sent home, then sent to another Plastic Surgeon who basically took pics of me and and asked me questions about my experience, Then sent me home. I should've had drains put in, but I was so embarrassed I waited it out. Little did I know that the seromas could turn into bursa which is scar tissue, that may cause serious complications.

Please, I am not telling you to not have the surgery. I am saying be proactive and contact a surgeon near home and see if they will take you on as an aftercare patient. If I had been told this I would've saved myself a lot of pain.

I went abroad to Dr Sauceda and had follow up done by my PCP. I DECIDED to do the stitch removal at home (by my caretaker) and it was easy peasy. He even removed one drain. I luckily had no complications, but I will tell you this - no MATTER WHERE you have plastics done there is at least some financial risk should you have complications. some insurance plans will exclude this. What I liked about the USA based surgery is you could buy "gap insurance coverage" which was not available to me going to Mexico. It was a bit of a worry for me because we all know how expensive a hospital stay is....

Dr Sauceda keeps you for 11 days - his reason being that infections and certain other complications are likely to show up in that early days. I network with a group of his patients on Facebook and in spite of good surgeon people definately CAN and do develop seromas post op and we all need to face that (and other) potential risk after plastics.

I did not have pain issues BUT, Dr S keeps you in the clinic for 3 days where they can do good pain management. I had my PCP doc prescribe pain meds "just in case" but I didn't really need them except for drain removal...ha!

Anyway - your post was a good reality check. This plastics stuff is great, but is not without risks....

When is the risk for seroma generally over? Once the drains are out?

I will ask my surgeon too (* this is my pet peeve on the board right now. I could rant about this statement needing to preclude every post I respond to. Maybe I should put it in my signature.)

CBT - I think the risk goes much longer as most peoples drains are out in 2 weeks (I went 3 weeks with my last two drains) and seromas seem to show up certainly during the first 6 weeks.

I am far from expert, but a common theme with the seromas are doing too much too soon. also, a couple of people on that Facebook group have had wounds re-open by getting in hottubs and doing other questionable activities too soon...haha. well, not funny, but you would be surprised. Anyway, easy does it, slowly return to normal. I think many PS LIE and tell people they are back to normal at 6 weeks. I think it is more accurate to say... you begin to return to normal at 6 weeks.... and slowly crawl up from there. I am over 3 months out and am pretty good but I do sometimes get a bit of belly swelling after intense exercise. The lympathic and drain system is really impacted by plastics and some people are more impacted than others.

CBT - I think the risk goes much longer as most peoples drains are out in 2 weeks (I went 3 weeks with my last two drains) and seromas seem to show up certainly during the first 6 weeks. I am far from expert, but a common theme with the seromas are doing too much too soon. also, a couple of people on that Facebook group have had wounds re-open by getting in hottubs and doing other questionable activities too soon...haha. well, not funny, but you would be surprised. Anyway, easy does it, slowly return to normal. I think many PS LIE and tell people they are back to normal at 6 weeks. I think it is more accurate to say... you begin to return to normal at 6 weeks.... and slowly crawl up from there. I am over 3 months out and am pretty good but I do sometimes get a bit of belly swelling after intense exercise. The lympathic and drain system is really impacted by plastics and some people are more impacted than others.

I appreciate your feedback and personal experience. You're right. PS give averages and those time lines are so individual. There's just a lot of biology and psychology involved in healing.

Did you do any lymphatic massage?

I really don't think there is a time limit on seroma's. But you are at risk early on post op. I followed the rules of my doctor, no trying to be super woman or early sex. You just need to make sure that you get a good post op PS or PCP that will work with you. Don't assume your PCP will take care of you. Mine was none to happy about me going abroad and sent me to the hospital.

I am sorry to read about your pain. I am grateful that you posted. I hope the worst is behind you.

I do have a great ps I'm working with. I do think surgeons in general are technical people so aftercare is something they have to work at. My PS practice seems to have this quality of good patient care in all the stages. It's always kind of an unknown until you walk through it though.

Post operative care after major plastic surgery is something that must be considered before going abroad. However, many people that live in the USA also travel many hours away from their home or across several states to have plastic surgery. People in New York may choose to go to LA. Some one in LA may decide to go to Miami. I live in Texas and decided to go to Tijuana, Mexico to Dr Victor Gutierrez. I advocate doing a lot of research before going to any plastic surgeon, weather it is close to home or far away. I knew my primary care physician would willingly care for me after my plastic surgery. He told me if I had any problems, he would do any thing he could to help. The local plastic surgery office said they would only see me if they got permission from my plastic surgeon in writing. They also stated he had to be Board Certified. Since my plastic surgeon is Board Certified, I knew it would not be a problem if I ever had to go to my local plastic surgery clinic. All of this information must be gathered before surgery. If you find that a doctor is uncooperative, maybe research going to another doctor that will be willing to see you after your surgery if that is an option. Clear communication if vital. I went to a local general surgeon to have my sutures removes, and he's did not charge me any money. It took him 3 seconds.

When I chose Tijuana, I knew there might be complications. But, from my point a view, Dallas to San Diego is only 2.5 hours flight. I could get a cheap ticket and fly back if I ever had a real medical emergency problem that was non life threatening. I knew I would much rather see my own plastic surgeon than any other doctor. Then there is also FaceTime or Skype. I took pictures and emailed my plastic surgeon and was able to get wonderful medical attention and advice that I needed.

Sweet pea! you look great, and I'm glad you were able to get that kind of service.

Hi J.Cross,

Thanks for the compliment. I believe everyone deserves to be treated with the best of care, althought we know that does not happen all the time. I sincerely hope things are improving for you. Hang in there and please keep us updated with your progress.

Take care,

Sweetpee

Post operative care after major plastic surgery is something that must be considered before going abroad. However, many people that live in the USA also travel many hours away from their home or across several states to have plastic surgery. People in New York may choose to go to LA. Some one in LA may decide to go to Miami. I live in Texas and decided to go to Tijuana, Mexico to Dr Victor Gutierrez. I advocate doing a lot of research before going to any plastic surgeon, weather it is close to home or far away. I knew my primary care physician would willingly care for me after my plastic surgery. He told me if I had any problems, he would do any thing he could to help. The local plastic surgery office said they would only see me if they got permission from my plastic surgeon in writing. They also stated he had to be Board Certified. Since my plastic surgeon is Board Certified, I knew it would not be a problem if I ever had to go to my local plastic surgery clinic. All of this information must be gathered before surgery. If you find that a doctor is uncooperative, maybe research going to another doctor that will be willing to see you after your surgery if that is an option. Clear communication if vital. I went to a local general surgeon to have my sutures removes, and he's did not charge me any money. It took him 3 seconds.

When I chose Tijuana, I knew there might be complications. But, from my point a view, Dallas to San Diego is only 2.5 hours flight. I could get a cheap ticket and fly back if I ever had a real medical emergency problem that was non life threatening. I knew I would much rather see my own plastic surgeon than any other doctor. Then there is also FaceTime or Skype. I took pictures and emailed my plastic surgeon and was able to get wonderful medical attention and advice that I needed.

Is your PCP located in N. Dallas? I am looking for someone to care for me after I return from Mexico as well (new to Texas/N. Dallas so I don't currently have one).