Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cigna- Gained weight waiting for approval

Did anyone who has Cigna gain weight while they were seeing the nutritionist and waiting for incurance approval? I had my first nutrition apt at the beginning of November and my last one will be in February and my weight has fluctuated the entire time (up and down). My BMI is 43 and my coordinator or counselor has not said anything to me about the weight gain and if this would be a factor in my insurance approval. I look up Cigna's policy and I don't see where it says anything about this. Anyone else have this situation and can let me know what their outcome was? Thanks!!!

Hi. I gained about 8 pounds from the time of my first MD visit to my last MD visit and Cigna approved the surgery despite my weight gain.

I also gained about 8 lbs. But, I haven't heard from Cigna yet. Submitted 5 days ago. Thanks SIJoe! I think you made us both feel better. RedStorm, hope you've gotten your approval. Good luck!

Forget CIGNA...we elected to have surgery because we cannot control our weight...so until we actually have the surgery, and for those with the lap band..get it adjusted, how are we going to control our weight? has anything changed?

I gained weight after surgery, after my first fill....it took me a few fills untill the band actually started to do anything....

It took about a week and I am approved. My surgery dated is March 18th. So excited and nervous as well.

Congrats :). I just saw this post.

I had Cigna. I was more in a delicate balance. My BMI was about 36 during the 3 month pre-surgery. If I went below 35 they would not cover it. I had to make sure that I didn't actually lose any and it was somewhat / slightly / unofficially encouraged to gain during this time. Stupid insurance game. After I got approved, I got on it and lost some weight :)

I had surgery back Dec 16. Congrats and good luck!!

I have Cigna as well. Didn't matter though as my BMI was a staggering 50 so gaining or losing, I was approved for the surgery no problem once all the documentation was provided and the paperwork submitted. Congrats on your surgery date.

I have cigna too, and my paperwork was just submitted last week. I assume my patient advocate is expecting a fast approval because she already put me on my pre opt diet. I did lose 3 pound by my third weigh in and at my last weigh in I did not gain or lose weight.