Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

teen sleeve and excess skin?

I am surprised that at 18 you want such a drastic surgery!!! Also, at your age, you will have a lot of elasticity in your skin. You have age on your side. Between you and me, I have a grandson that is 18 and if he approached me about having WLS, I would try to talk him out of it unless he had a ton of comorbitities. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a negative nelly but at 18 I just think about all the years you have ahead of you to follow the regime required with the surgery. Good luck to whatever you do!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! I am wishing you all the best! I had a friend in high school who had her stomach stapled in 1980. While she still has struggled with weight issues all her adult life, it has been 20 -30 lbs instead of the 100+ lbs I have struggled with. I think you are being given a wonderful opportunity to have a much healthier adult life. My only regret with my surgery is that I didn't have the opportunity to do it sooner!

About the loose skin, you will just have to go through it and see. You have age on your side for sure. Also if you exercise faithfully as you lose that should help too! Best of luck with everything!

I think of it as look at how many years you will have to enjoy your healthy and active body! Best of luck to you and wishing you all the best :) :) :)

Oh, and I have no idea but if I had to guess, I'd say that your chances of getting out of this with minimal skin issues are very good at 18!

Edited by woo woo

The one thing I wish I had done was do this years ago! If you are fully aware of the lifetime commitment you are about to do and really thought this out then I am happy for you. I strongly caution you that if you do not make the life changes necessary to maintain your weight loss then it will be for nothing. Be very very honest with yourself and even more aware of your old actions and thought patterns for why you are reaching for food. This must be fixed if you can do that then congratulations. You are only 18 so your skin should shrink back pretty good. It takes time for the skin to shrink but it does. For some of us not as good as others but it still shrinks some. Best of luck to you! :)

Hi

When I was 18 i had managed to get up to 206 pounds at 5'7". I was shocked when I went over the 200 mark. I immediately started counting calories and exercising. I lost 60 pounds 206 to 146. I had no skin issues at all and wore a bikini for years. Everyone is different but age is definitely on your side. Good luck!

I am 19 soon to be 20 had my surgery on 12/18 honestly so far my skin is doing well. The flabby skin is mostly on my arms which hopefully can be toned out. Good Luck :)

I am so glad I found this site. I'm 17, female, and my surgical date for the gastric sleeve is February 18th. Excess skin is one of the biggest concern of mine as well. Seeing my mom go through the gastric bypass process and all the excess skin she's accumulated has gotten me a little nervous.

I am 17 also and having vertical sleeve tomorrow morning! Let me know if you'd like to chat

I'm 15 and I had the gastric sleeve done 3 days ago. My cousin did this surgery also and she's 1 year and 2 months out, she has a lot of flabby skin but she's getting a Tummy Tuck for it.

I had my surgery this past Wednesday so I'm 5 days post op. I am experiencing that "why did I do this" feeling and I've been feeling hungry the past two days which have me fixated on food & all the junk I'm craving right now (ie. French fries and a burger) .. Have any of you experienced a feeling of hunger a few days after post op like I an right now... I'm in complete torture... I can't wait for the purée stage so I can at least have some squash and mashed potatoes (to curb my starch craving)

Your 18 you should be fine I lost 100 at age 15/16 and did fine,no did however have breast implants at age 22 bc I was always ashamed of them, bc of my teen weight lose they where not as full as all my friends. That's one of the best choices (other then my sleeve at age 28 ) i ever made for myself

Edited by DreamBig

First of all, I had no idea that teens could get approved for this type of surgery (what an eye opener!). I just came across the news story of a doctor in New Jersey who talked about the benefits of performing this surgery (story link: http://primesurgicare.com/dr-seun-talks-young-adults-lapband-surgery-ny1/). Do you expect most teens to have their skin shrink after this type of surgery? I'm wondering if sending this doctor a few questions may help? Maybe there is a separate service to address this issue?

thanks all.