Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New looking for support

Hi my name is Yolanda I had the sleeve on 12/30/13. I feel so confused and alone. My doctor gave 3 stages I am on purée and soft foods. I spent all of my time thinking about what to eat. I started out at 202 the day of surgery I am now 186. I know I am not eating right. Today I had 1 slice of low fat turkey and low fat Swiss cheese and 5 wheat crackers. Water after 30 minutes . 3 hours later I had a small banana . One hour later 5 sick pretzels. Please help me figure this out. I know a lot people think I didn't need the sleeve and I was just weak and lazy. I did this for health reasons I am dietetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I also have a a vey bad back and in pain everyday. I am hoping the weight loss will ease the pain. Thank you any help.

Hello.

Taking off the weight should definitely help with the back issues..... I know it is helping me with the joint pains I used to have in my ankles and knees. Exercising and stretching has also made all the difference in the world as well. I can't help you too much with your food concerns bc I didn't have the sleeve surgery, so I am not familiar with the protocol for that surgery. I do know that all the surgeries require us to have most of our food nourishment in the form of Protein. To get that much protein in, I had to add liquid Protein Shakes as one of my meals. Best of luck to you.

In the early days, I wrote out a daily schedule of when to drink, when to eat and what to eat. It took away having to think constantly about food and it meant I knew that I was eating the right thing in the right quantities.

Don't worry, I promise it does get easier. You are only 3 weeks out and most of us felt the way you do. Take it a day at a time and think about how good life is going to be....

And no one here will think you have taken the easy way out - we know it's not! You had serious comorbidities - diabetes, high BP and high cholesterol - as well as being in pain. You have taken control of your health and well being, that was a brave thing to do and you deserve to do well.

So hang in there, there are lots of people here who will share and support you. Keep posting :-)

Ps Protein, Water and moving are the things to plan for every day...

A bit surprised to see crackers and pretzels as authorized post-op diet foods as even several months in, it is still being suggested I avoid as many carbs as possible. It is funny because you get conflicting info even from people in the same office. While the nurse supervising my program says avoid as many carbs as you can, the dietitian suggest a few in moderation.

Thank you all for your feedback . It made feel not so alone. Still haven't written down food journal. I made dinner first time I made ground turkey and black Beans. That also be lunch. oatmeal for Breakfast that has 45 percent less sugar . Banana for snack. I hope I got it right. Thank you all again.

Sounds like you are getting on track. Some of the foods that helped me at this stage included cottage cheese with no sugar added applesauce, light & fit Greek yogurt, ricotta bake (google World according to eggface for recipe), refried Beans and guacamole. There are lots of options and like other posters have said advance planning at this stage is very helpful. Track your Protein and Water to know that you are getting in enough each day and you'll do great. :-)