Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Debating on getting more fills

Of course I know that you aren't my doctor, and of course I will ask him all this when I see him, I just want the bander viewpoint please. No flames, por favor!!!

Due to an emergency unfill in Dec. after tightness in my chest, I now have the same amount of fill in my band as right after surgery (2cc). I am told to eat 1/4c of food at a meal, and if I'm still hungry continue to 1/2c. I try to stick with this and most times do a good job, though I could easily eat more (I really try not to because I don't want to end up in the ER again). Most times I can make it 3-4 hrs without feeling hungry again, though other times I do get hungry. Does that mean I am at restriction already or pretty close? Is that possible with so little fill? When I did have 4ccs I felt I didn't even want water--I could barely eat anything (the scale was going down at a frightfully fast pace, too). I was thinking to ask the doc to only put in .5cc this time, but I could do ok where I'm at.

Feedback, please. Thanks!

I only have 3 ccs in mine. What everyone needs to get to restriction is different. I have not had a fill in two years. I don't need it. Maybe in years to come I will but now I don't and really I don't think you need to either if having more made you sick. Some people have sensitive stomachs like mine which takes three weeks on liquids after a fill. I think you would be smart not to get anymore right now.

It's not now or never, so if you feel like you do need one in the coming weeks/months it will be available to you then. There's that. And if you're doing well on your small portion but don't yet have the duration, there's that. The important thing is you are really listening to your body. I'm going to see my surgeon tomorrow and they will have the fill all set, ready to go. I'm not ready to go. I'm feeling good where I am. My next appointment after that is in three weeks then we spread out to monthly for a while. I don't know how much Fluid is in my band. No priming took place and I've had four fills. I believe this surgeon is of the small frequent fills school. I know it's up to me to determine when the appetite is manageable or if it needs dimming. Good luck to you!

I am a little nervous. I was banded in November and have had two fills... Doctor says I have a total of 5 cc's in a 14 cc band. I feel I can still eat to much. Is this normal????

I am a little nervous. I was banded in November and have had two fills... Doctor says I have a total of 5 cc's in a 14 cc band. I feel I can still eat to much. Is this normal????

Hello newbie! Don't take this the wrong way? You will be better off starting your own thread/topic. There are only 4 people following this thread at this time. Your post is what they call a "Hijack". It's not as bad as it sounds and we all do it but in your case, if you start a new topic, you'll expose your question to hundreds of eyes and not just 8.

To answer your question, yes it's normal. I didn't feel any restriction till my 3rd fill. Eating properly(Protein first) is essential. You're in what we call "Bandster Hell". It's that period of time where the band is not adjusted properly yet and we still have that old appetite before surgery. Basically, you're still on a diet if you want to lose weight until your band is adjusted properly. Good luck. Hang in there, most all of us had to endure this phase.

tmf

PureVida, I love this topic and it's so different for each of us. What amount of restriction is the correct amount to be in the green zone? I think I could handle another .25 CC fill but I prefer to enjoy a little leeway with a looser band. I still struggle with the eat fast/big bite syndrome, so looser is better for me. It's going to be different for each of us. We can all adapt of course but some not as easily as others.

Sounds like you were in the red zone for too long? There's no harm in sneaking up on the green zone. My doctor did it with .25 CC injections. Probably took 2 more fills to get there but in the meantime, I learned many lessons on how I should be eating with restriction.

There are many on the forum who recommend getting fills under fluoro and gawd I wish my doctor had the equipment to give fills this way.

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

re: "Does that mean I am at restriction already or pretty close? " not exactly

and your variability of the sensation of 'hunger' is in a state of flux, as there are lots of physiological as well as psychoemotional adapations we make in the early postOp phase.

Further, as our bodies daily are adaptive to varous environmental stresses, a rolling normal state of 'homeostasis' occurs.

It's early in your recovery period to leap on the "if this, then that" conclusions regarding the Band.

We really are all different, on different days, and at different times of the day.

Our self-regulation mechanisms are complex and very interesting. Try Guyton's Physiology textbooks to gain a further look at what a complex question you have asked.

Short answer, 'whatever you think today, will be changing before long' as you further adapt to the postBand Life.

Cheers on your journey.

lap1, I don't know. I do know it's a 14 CC band but my doctor nor I have ever tracked how many CC's are in the band. I've never been interested in knowing the amount as long as the amount that is in there is allowing the band to work it's magic.

tmf

2muchfun, Thanks... I am just waiting for restriction.. And with 5cc's in my band you would think I would already feel that... Just don't want to stretch my pouch out.. It takes a lot to feel me up and then I am Hungary again after 2-3 hours!!!

I'm going in for a fill in a few days. I can eat Breakfast, eat rice and bread, I don't even feel the band unless I've eaten way too much and it kicks back. I can't go 3 - 4 hours without hunger right now. And I'm asking for 0.25cc.

If you're close, or think you're close, go slow. It doesn't hurt to go slow. In fact if you get too filled and overtight, you actually reverse all the good work by causing your stoma to swell and cause discomfort. I got a 1cc fill and was throwing up Water. I had it taken out and have since had 5 x 0.25cc fills with no issue, and I need another.

If you feel like another might be in order, take it really easy, especially if you think you're close.

I agree with prior posts, this is your journey what works for one, will not work for others, the highest Ive ever had in my band was 3.5 but because of tightness if chest I had it removed, twice! I build it up get to 2.5 and have to undo , so I know I shouldn't have more than that amount. Are you sure its not bored eating, are you drinking Water before you eat, as mudane and boring as it gets , its something we must do to keep our lapbands happy. I speak from personal experience, I start getting cocky and eating things I know I should but because it goes down ok, I'll do it again and again. I'm now suffering from a sore tummy. It feels like I ate something that rubbed the inside of my stomach. Its back to small bites, liquids, and soft foods, until I get it back feeling ok. And then I stress about stressing, sometimes its a vicious cycle, but this is what we signed up for. I wish you the best of luck!

lap1.....How many CCs in your band has little to do with restriction. Your personal anatomy, the thickness of your stomach lining and where the surgeon placed the band make the biggest difference. Many people go right up to the 14 CC limit before they feel restriction.

Stretching your pouch should be incredibly painful unless you're impervious to pain? I did not feel any real restriction till my 3rd fill and I didn't find the green zone till fill #6 and I believe my experience is quite normal.

To stretch your pouch you would have to fill it up(about 2 bites) and not have the food pass through the stoma. It would backup into your esophagus and then you would slime and experience a lot of discomfort. It would take months of this to cause a dilation of your pouch or esophagus.

Edited by 2muchfun

I don't have anything to add, but if you feel that you would be happier with .25 cc added to the fill, then try it. My surgeon's office will unfill within a week for no cost, if you are too tight. I am not sure how others are. Best wishes.karen..aka.kll724

PS(yes, try to stay away from ER's).

Thanks very much, folks! I guess I'm going to stay where I'm at. I can always add more later. For now I'm doing ok. I agree about preferring being looser than tighter. No fun there.