Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From one extreme to the other!

Hi,

I've been diabetic for many years, in latter years controlled by metformin, gliclazide and victoza injection.

I was sleeved in Oct 12, and just last month was taken off my injection - having had the gliclazide dosage quartered before I got out of hospital.

Now, even though I'm off the injection, I'm finding my blood sugars are going low suddenly - but then can be high just like an hour or less beforehand! I'm having a hard time with this, due to obviously having my food/drink intake limited with the sleeve.

How does everyone else deal with this - and what sort of diet are you all on? are you sticking to low carb, or what sort? I've not had any bread products since before the sleeve.

Any advice for me out there please?

Maybe it's time to follow up with your doc again. Gliclazide can drop your sugars too low, but metformin doesn't have that effect. When are you taking your sugars? Are they still high 2 hours after eating? Do you track your food intake with a site like MyFitnessPal? It might help you pinpoint some high carb meals that you should be avoiding.

I wasn't on insulin, but even when I started my pre-op diet with the clean eating and low carbs, I was hitting as low as 3.4mmol/l and I ended up with some of the side effects of hypoglycemia (the chest pounding was the big one) and I had to have my Gliclazide dosage reduced even before the surgery.

Now post-op I'm off both the Gliclazide and the Metformin, but I still eat a fairly low carb diet, and try to make sure that any carbs going into my system are complex carbs and not simple carbs.

Edited by Jdub

Us T2 diabetics really need to regulate our carbs in a measured way.....like it is medication. Exercise and what you eat in terms of carbs ideally should be kept constant in timing and amount. (easier said than done I know).

Yes, please consult your diabetic Doctor - too low is very dangerous and not to be trifled with. Too high can be dealt with on a sliding scale. I'd suggest a discussion to that effect with your PCP or Internal Med diabetic Dr.

I'm checking my sugars about four times daily - morning, night and after meals - sometimes in between too if I'm not feeling so great...

I haven't been so good at logging my food intake up until now, as I work out of the house and just so tired by the time I get home, but need to make more of an effort with that.

Will keep that in mind about the difference between gliclazide and metformin and how they effect a person.

Thank you,

Hey there, I have had the exact same problem at 4 wks out...I was on purees after one week, and now am eating regular food.

I called my surgeon's office and talked with the nurse at length. My sugars were going into the 50s after I would eat fruit.

Turns out this is really good news for us...the drastic drops mean that our own pancreas are working, and they are over compensating for the small amount of carbs we take in.

They told me to avoid fruit the first few weeks and v concentrate on Protein and veggies, or eat Protein whenever I ate carbs.

They also said that it will calm down and my body week adjust so that I can eat the carbs later down the road....

Thanks for this - i'm still fluctuating a lot, but will try not to worry about it as much :)

Its strange though, since I got sleeved, I've discovered that I can actually tell when I'm low, as my mouth tingles - never discovered this in all the years of being a diabetic before!