Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Hi there, I am new to this forum. I have my first consultation with the surgeon next Friday March 30th:) . I am so excited but also nervous.

I have been reading through a few posts and it is so good to see that the majority of the feedback is positive.

I will be having my surgery done in Dublin and I was wondering if any of you have any advice as to questions I should be asking the surgeon next week.

Thanks so much. Brenners x

Welcome, Brennars!!! I love your homeland! DH and I plan to retire there, or move before retirement if we can afford it. We love it in Ireland!

Congrats on your decision to be banded, I can't wait to get mine. Here's a link to a forum that has many threads to help you:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/lap-band-faqs-f73.html

You'lll find a lot of frequently asked questions as well as a thread about what to as your surgeon. Good luck!

A kind soul sent me a list of questions, and I've taken them and added a few and tweaked the list, here it is:

Questions to ask during consultation:

2) Research the doctor.

What kind of follow up care is provided? (ie: fills, unfills, endoscopies, fluroscopies, port revisions, removal, etc).

Ask to speak to about 5 or 6 of his patients before you make a decision. Ask those people if they have any complaints or issues with their care before, during and after the procedure.

How many of the procedures has he done?

What types of complications can occur from this procedure and how frequently do they happen? (ie: perforations, etc)

What types of complications has he personally ran into doing this procedure?

What is his policy when a complication occurs during a procedure? (ie: does he discuss options with family or immediately convert to bypass or other WLS).

Is he Inamed approved for the procedure? If not then who qualified him to perform the procedure and can you have literature to verify this?

3) Research the procedure.

How is the procedure performed? Will you use the Pars Flaccida approach?

What type of sutures do you use? Can I request glue and not staples?

Will I have a catheter placed?

If I am on my menses, can I wear a tampon?

What will I need to have prepared when I get home in way of food items?

What are the short term issues?

What are the long term issues?

How will I be able to take my pills?

Will you write today for liquid pain meds?

Do you want me to take antibiotics post-op? If so, will you write for Diflucan?

4) Follow up care.

What is the schedule for fills?

When can I get my first fill?

How is the fill procedure performed? (ie: with or without fluroscopy)

What is the cost for fills? (under fluro and not)

How often will I need to be seen?

Will I have access to a Nutritionist?

How do you handle unfills?

Is there a direct line in case of Emergencies?

Does your doctor have email address?

Should I continue to take Metformin?

What Vitamins should I be taking?

Will I need to crush my pills? If so then for how long? Are there any pills that cannot be crushed? If so then how will I be able to take them?

Here's another list, some of these are duplicates of the one above, but others are not. This is a list I took to the information seminar with me and asked some selectively:

PROCEDURE

How many lapbands has the surgeon performed?

What types of complications have you personally ran into doing this procedure?

What is your policy when a complication occurs during a procedure?

What kind of band will be used?

What size?

Are you Inamed approved for the procedure? If not then who qualified you to

perform the procedure and can you have literature to verify this?

What are the chances of infection? Does an occurrence of infection always mean the band must be removed?

How often do your patients need their band removed (or any other additional surgical procedures)?

Since I carry a lot of weight in my abdomen, does that increase the complexity or risk of complications with a laparoscopic procedure?

Does my abdominal fat increase my chance of needing fat pads removed from my stomach?

Does that have any risks associated with it?

What are the chances I will need my gall bladder removed? Is there anything I can do dietary-wise to reduce the risk of gall stones?

Are sutures always used to place the band? Is there any complications that arise from the "stomach wrap" around the band? Is it true that the sutures are permanent and do not dissolve?

AFTER CARE / RECOVERY

What should I expect during the recovery period? What is normal?

What kinds of self-care could I be doing to help my recovery?

Will my activities be limited during the recovery period? If so, which activities and for how long?

When can I return to work?

What help might I need while I recover? (driving, lifting, etc.)

What symptoms should you call a doctor about?

How will I take my birth control pills and HTN pills? Are they crushable?

What programs do you have pre- and post- surgery to help me succeed?

How much support do you provide during the insurance approval process?

FILLS

What is your fill schedule?

When can I get my first fill?

How is the fill procedure performed? (ie: with or without fluroscopy)

What is the cost for fills? (under fluro and not)

How often will I need to be seen?

Will I have access to a Nutritionist?

How do you handle unfills?

Is there a direct line in case of Emergencies?

Does your doctor have email address?

What Vitamins should I be taking?

Will I need to crush my pills? If so then for how long?

Are there any pills that cannot be crushed? If so then how will I be able to take them?

PREGNANCY

Once pregnant, will I have to get a partial unfill or be completely unfilled?

Should I expect any issues/complications with a pregnancy after being

banded? If there are any what could they be and how will they be addressed?

After being banded, are most babies delivered via c-section or can they be delivered naturally?

If my baby needs to be delivered via c-section could that damage the port and tubing?

Are there additional Vitamins I should take while pregnant?

Welcome to LBT Brenners

Best wishes on your appointment...there is some fantastic questions above...Now you can go in prepared...keep us posted.

:P becky

:biggrin1: Hello,

I was banded on 3/21/07...last week ! Stayed overnight in the hospital, came home on liquid narcotic pain medication, which I used every 4-6 hours for a few days. I now need no pain meds at all.

Questions for your doctor:

1) How long must you be on the preop diet?

2) What does the doctor order to prevent postop blood clots? Does he use an injectable blood thinner before and after surgery, i.e. Lovanox, Heparin ? Will you get out of bed the same night as the surgery? Will you wear pneumatic appliances on your legs while in bed at the hospital?

3) What is the postop diet?

4) When will your first postop appt be ? Your first fill?

5) Which of your current meds are crushable, chewable or available in liquid form? You may need prescriptions. What is he giving you for pain meds at home?

6) If he cannot accomplish your lap banding laparascopically, will he convert to an open procedure or just stop and try again after you lose more weight?

Anyways, these are questons your doc may explain at your first appointment, but are good questions to ask if he doesn't.

Good luck !

Hi Brenners!!

I've been floating around on this site for about a week now & was mad to find an Irish voice of experience too! :P :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's a great site..

Would I be right in saying I saw you post on Rollercoaster? I tried signing up to that site but kept getting an error page!

Anyway, I'm having the op done in UK with healthier weight ctr..

looked at AC in Dublin too... didn't not choose them for any reason in particular only that I booked with UK first...

I'm going for consult next Mon & booked for surgery 16th Apr...Fingers crossed..

I'm assumiing you're with AC? Have they group support meetings?

What's your history to be at this turning point?

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

I had my consultation on Friday and I have booked to have my lap band done on April 26th. I cant believe it is finally going to happen! I am so excited but also anxious.

I met with the surgeon and thanks to all of you for posting the list of questions. I asked lots of questions and I was happy with all of the answers. I have to go to their clinic on Thursday for my pre-op tests.

Lunasa, yes I am having it done with ACS. I know its probably cheaper to go to UK, Belgium etc. but I figure for after care and fills etc. its much easier to have it done in Dublin.

The surgeon has asked me for at least 2 weeks and if I can manage it 4 weeks to stick to a diet low in carbs and sugar and alchohol. I have started today cutting back my carbs.

I look forward to sharing my journey with all of you and again thanks for advice so far.

Brenners

hey there brenners

my name is nikki from drogheda and i was banded in ACS on the 15th of december and i wish you all the luck in the world with your journey feel free to ask any questions as i had very helpful girl on here who was also banded in dublin guiding me on how it would be ..although it can vary differently on results and experiences and its an emotional rollercoaster for most of us which can be a little unexpected ,its great to have people who really do know what you mean .

good luck talk soon

nikki

Nikki, Im from Mornington and I work in Drogheda!! What a small world.

How are you doing since you were banded? How have you found it? When I read threads on here I only seem to remember the bad stories. I know that so many people have found that it has changed their lives and Im hoping that I will be one of those.

My story is that I am at the moment 296lbs. This is not my heaviest. Last year I was aroung 320lbs but managed through OA to loose some weight. I have tried everything, lipotrim, diet pills, hypnotherapy, weight watchers (about 20 times!!!) and OA (Overeaters Anonymous). The one that worked the best was OA because instead of trying to control my weight myself I let God take care of it. But the meetings I was attending stopped and that was that.

I am so excited about having this done. I cant believe its happening so quickly. Dr Jerome asked me to try to stick to a high Protein and vegetables diet for at least 2 weeks pre-op. How did you find this. I have done Atkins in the past and I presume its something similar to this.

I am having my pre-op tests done on Thursday and the only thing Im concerned about is trying to find the clinic. I have printed off directions from ACS website but Im not familiar with that part of Dublin. Im sure I wont get lost.

How did you find getting up and about after the op? I work full time and Im taking almost 2 weeks holidays. Im hoping that will be enough.

I hope you dont mind all the questions. Its so good to have someone who has had this done with ACS and from the same area!! Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

So looking forward to hearing back from you Nikki

Brenners x

Hi Again Brenners....Hello Nikki

Brenners...it's not cheaper in UK...with flights & the exchange rate (which sucks) it's working out dearer..but I don't really care.

I had my consultation yesterday..I travelled to London for it & everything went well. I left with boxes of Soups, shakes & puddings for a pre op diet I've to follow for 10 dys pre op.. My date is April 17th.

You should Jump into the April 2007..head start for spring thread.

That's where all the april bansters are..

I'm nervous but excited too...I'm actually more nervous about the 10 day diet before hand!!! It'll be hard around family & friends etc... I'm actually away with them for a week during that 10 days! I've only told my sister so far but I'll prob have to tell my mam too so that they understand the sudden change in eating habits!!

Brenners.. I once looked into OA & made contact with my local group, but I felt scarlet about actually going..:embarassed:

Can you tell me a bit more about it?

Lunasa, thats great news. You must be so excited about the surgery, I know I am. Im interested in hearing about you having been given shakes, Soups etc for your pre-op diet, my surgeon only wants me to cut down on sugar, carbs and alcohol for at least 2 weeks beforehand. But I suppose each surgeon is different. I would nearly prefer to have been given shakes etc as it takes the choice out of having to eat. Im sure you will be fine just keep thinking that the pre-op diet will make the whole procedure easier on your body and also kick start your body into losing weight even before you have surgery.

Thanks for the tip on the April thread, Im new to this and any advice is appreciated.

In relation to OA, I found it great to be honest. I, like you, was very scared and embarassed when I first went but I decided to give it a try. The meeting I attended only had on average about 4 people there each week and we were all such an amazing support to each other. It stopped being about losing weight and started me focusing on taking things one day at a time and handing each day over to God. Dont get me wrong Im not the most religious person, and to be honest the whole God thing freaked me out at first but it doesnt even have to be God. It just has to be a Higher Power. It follows the same 12 steps that AA follow except the word alcohol is changed to food. The meeting I used to go to was about a 1/2 hour drive and it was becoming harder each week for me to go. A couple of the other girls stopped going and just before Christmas the meeting wound up. But I have often thought about setting a meeting up closer to home. They have a great website www.oa.org you should check it out.

It is definitly something that will always stay with me and something that some day I would love to go back to.

Anyway, thanks for the advice about the April thread and keep in touch.

Brenners x

Hey Brenners, well done for taking the step to inquire about Gastric Banding and then to arrange to go ahead! I have just arranged a Consultation for 2 weeks time for ACS in Dublin after building up to it for about 12 months of failed dieting. It is great to hear that you have been and can share your experience. From my research on the web it appears I definatly fit the criteria for this but how exactly do they evaluate your suitability at the Consultation?

hello Allure..

It's great to have a few Irish on here!

The consultation will assess your BMI... Most require it to be over 40 or 35 with co-morbidities ie high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea etc...

they will also evaluate your dieting history, how long you've had weight prob & how you've dealt with it & yoyo dieting..

they will also assess how you will cope with life after surgery..ie.. committment to lifestyle change & your understanding of having to live with & commit to those changes.

I am focusing on the behavioural aspect of what this band will help me achieve.. I want to end my yoyo paterns & have a balanced relationship with food.

I had my consultation yesterday in the UK with healthier weight centre & all went well. My BMI was 40.4 which surprised me as I thought it was 38..

My blood pressure & all was fine which also surpeised me...I though it was high, as I wake up in the mornings with a dead arm..that because of the weight of me sleeping on it! Nice... I hate that...

Anyway... I'm all set to go for 17th April..

Brenners...as for the pre op diet it is to shrink your liver & every bander's doctor has different requirements to do that..

I will be on a weeks holiday during that 10 days which will be interesting. I know I won't be able to ONLY do the shakes but if I have to eat out I will stick to Fish & Veg or salad which is also high protein!!

the pre op diet is more nerve wrecking than the surgery!!

I'm gonna add you both to my buddy list so we can keep in touch..

As a personal goal for myself I have signed up to do the Flora Womens mini Marathon in June.... 10k..so I have a physical goal set & am looking to achieve that...

My focus is not on weight loss as I will be throwing the scales out... I am not gonna get wrapped up in that game anymore..

I'm leaving these issues behind me now & when I can walk 10k I KNOW I will have achieved that goal... and weight loss will be a side effect of having reached it!!!!

Hi Lunasa & Allure, yes it is so great that there are a few of us Irish lassies on here!

Allure , Lunasa has pretty much covered how the assessment is done. I have not yet been accepted for the surgery on April 26th it is all pending my test results. I am having these tests done on Thursday at ACS clinic. They will do blood tests, ECG, blood pressure etc.

I do have borderline high blood pressure so Im hoping that it will be ok for surgery, however I had a miscarriage in February and had to have a D&C done under general anaesthethic (sp!) and I was fine after with no complications. I told Dr Jerome this and he was pleased.

I am quite surprised that at my age (37) with such a high BMI (48) I done have serious health issues so far. I do feel my body starting to ache and I definitly dont have the energy for life as much as I would like so that is another reason why Im doing this. I have a 6 yr old son and I want to be there for him and my great husband. My husband is so supportive of me.

Talk soon Brenners x