Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my band put in Sept. 2012 and I have lost I think so far 94 lbs , I will lose 150, when I get to my goal and I love my band.

I just thought I would ask , why does your surgery say it is gastric sleeve , are you getting sleeved or the lap band , their are different weight loss surgeries , that's why I am asking ,and there are some different issues with the different types , well I was just curious, good luck on wich ever you are doing.

>I selected the VSG (vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) because of it's "finality" and less complications than the band. The downside is that it is more dangerous than the band during the initial surgery and, if complications post surgery do happen, age comes into play regarding successful recovery. Weight loss is quicker with the Sleeve. Personally, I think the Band would be a safer way to go for older patients that have no co-morbidities and less weight to loose. The band can be reversed relatively easy. The Sleeve cannot be reversed - and, as previously mentioned that is one reason it appeals to me. I don't need anything that I know I can undo and/ or cheat with. Do your own investigation, talk to people who have had the surgeries, discuss it with a Bariatic surgeon, attend a seminar, make sure you have your spouses' and family support and then make your OWN decision. Thanks for the good words. Of course, I added that last bit of "wisdom" at no additional charge assuming you have not had the surgery yet?

The only reason I asked is because there are different sites on here and you posted on the band site , and didn't know if you might have been meaning to post on vsg weight loss surgery site, well like I said good luck in what you choose to.do.

I just thought I would ask , why does your surgery say it is gastric sleeve , are you getting sleeved or the lap band , their are different weight loss surgeries , that's why I am asking ,and there are some different issues with the different types , well I was just curious, good luck on wich ever you are doing.

I selected the VSG (vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) because of it's "finality" and less complications than the band. The downside is that it is more dangerous than the band during the initial surgery and, if complications post surgery do happen, age comes into play regarding successful recovery. Weight loss is quicker with the Sleeve. Personally, I think the Band would be a safer way to go for older patients that have no co-morbidities and less weight to loose. The band can be reversed relatively easy. The Sleeve cannot be reversed - and, as previously mentioned that is one reason it appeals to me. I don't need anything that I know I can undo and/ or cheat with. Do your own investigation, talk to people who have had the surgeries, discuss it with a Bariatic surgeon, attend a seminar, make sure you have your spouses' and family support and then make your OWN decision. Thanks for the good words. Of course, I added that last bit of "wisdom" at no additional charge assuming you have not had the surgery yet?!? :-)

Debby3Sons .... I realized I was on the Lap Band Forum shortly after I made my post. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Joanne M Holl is still my hero, however .... :-)

That's fine I was just a litt confused , and was not sure if you meant to post on the vsg site , some times we get confused and post on the other sites when things are new, and Yes Joanne is a GREAT person and helpful.

Debby3Sons .... I realized I was on the Lap Band Forum shortly after I made my post. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Joanne M Holl is still my hero, however .... :-)

I'm almost 76 and banded in 2009, then rebanded in 2013. I'm down 100 pounds. I'm having some GERD problems but I don't think they have anything to do with the band.

I rediscovered the book Bandwagon Cookery. Because I was banded so long ago and am basically lazy, I've been neglecting some of the basics, but McMillan is doing a good job of re-teaching me the basic stuff.

We may be old, but we can still improve our lives.

Cheers to ALL on this First Day of the New Year....are we all ready for another Action Packed Adventure???

Edited by Jack

Hi,

I am Joanne Holl's eldest granddaughter. I inherited her computer (and cat) and decided I need to clean the desktop, so I don't get so sad everytime I log on with my Gram's icons on the screen. Anyways, my grandma had a link to this site on her desktop and the first thing I clicked on brought me to her picture along with her post. Especially because I think my grandma was one of the oldest patients to have the Lap-Band surgery and because I just feel my grandma would want me to leave an update to inform you of her passing...

Joanne M. Holl, 84, passed away at her home as a result of metastatic breast cancer on Saturday, March 21, 2015.

My grandma was truly an inspiring woman and one of the best grandmothothers a girl could wish for. Thank you for listening and I wish you all success.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

Edited by celestialsciences

Ohh. I'm so sorry to hear of Joanne's passing. I just started posting again today and read her post from 2014. I was going to answer her post after I finished reading the subsequent posts, then I read yours. She did seem like a very sweet and inspiring person. I know you are going to miss her. Thank you for your post. Take care.

so sorry Stephanie for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss

@@celestialsciences

Your grandmother was such a nice lady. I never got to meet her in person, but spoke with her several times on here. May she rest in peace.

@@celestialsciences --

Stephanie,

I extend my condolences to you and your family. It was a few minutes ago that I stumbled upon this topic that your grandmother began. It took seeing your note to make me realize that the topic goes back a while. I was acquainted with Joanne at SparkPeople.com. She was always warm and supportive to the members of its lapband group.

Thank you for letting us know. The subject matter here makes for an intimacy among the members despite our being strangers in day-to-day life.

@celestialsciences Stephanie, thank you so much for letting us know. I was just thinking of her today and just this morning typed her name on a list of all the people who helped me so much when I was starting out with my lapband. Sending best wishes and condolences to you and your family.