Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

looking for people banded with TLBC (now Slimband) our contracts now null and void

Hi,

I am looking for people who were banded with TLBC in Toronto (now Slimband) to see if they have been advised that they are no longer going to support us free of charge. I called their last week and I was told that they no longer can afford it financially and it is not fair to their new memebers to honor those old contracts. They honored them for a awhile but since Dec 2013 they can no longer and as patients we are no longer obligated to seek services(fill and defills) from them since we don't have any contractual obligation with them. I can't seem to find a contract that I would have signed with them, not even sure if I got one. Does anyone else have a copy of their contract? I can recall being told that I had lifetime support .I still have a lot of questions that I didn't get to ask when I called because I was frustrated and emotional about the situation but I plan to call back and get more answers. If anyone has a simular experience or has more answers I would like to hear from you. I'm not sure what I am goiing to do with this information, I am contemplating contacting a lawyer to see if they are obligated by the contract or what my options are but I am trying to reach out to others who may be facing this same situation.

Hope to hear from someone.

Tamara from Sudbury, Ontario

Edited by tboyd

Here's a link to a thread started years ago for TLBC.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/57768-tlbc-clinic-toronto-ontario-canada/

If you know some of the doctors name use your PC to search for surgeons at the top of this page to find others who might share your experience?

Hi Tamara: I am in the same boat. I live in Sudbury and called this week and was livid. They never told me it was a financial decision just said it was management's decision. I have contacted all my fellow bandsters here in town and we are not happy. We were promised free support for the remainder of our lives and then they do this to us. They could have at least send an email, letter or called us. That is only common sense and good business relations. I too was very emotional and upset. I was banded in 2006. They are going to get bombarded with calls. I am also considering legal action. We should contact each other verbally if you wish.

When Slimband, took over, there was no contract sent to us. Since I was operated on by Dr. Joffe and Dr. Yau, we have to check our contracts for the TLBC. I will check my emails to see if there is any info. We were told verbally that they would continue to take care of us. I was also surprised to see that Nancy was no longer with them. Not sure what happened there.

Hi I was banded by tlbc in 2006. I called and the told me that they dissolved TLBC because it went bankrupt so they were not obligated to cover the those patients. Total fabrication, but anyway that is a different story. I said dissolving a corporation does not mean it went bankrupt. But I wasn't going to argue with someone who answered calls for a living. Interesting note in the background I could hear the other support staff making fun of the other callers, they were so loud.

When did Nancy leave? What about Cathy?

Feel free to PM me on this issue.

Hi Tasiapg,

Thanks for the reply Tasiapg and Nerdine. I'm not sure where to start with this and if we even have any legal rights, I'm afraid of the fact that we don't have a legal contract, there is lots to look into. I think it would be good to connect via telephone and chat. Give me a call, 222-8848 (home) or 662-7255 (work). I am also in contact with someone else is Toronto who mentioned that she was starting legal action, I will contact her and let her know that I found more TLBC members. I think a letter from a lawyer to them asking for an explanation is a start. I have a friend who is a lawyer so I may set up an appointment.

I didn't know Nancy left.

Hello Everyone,

II'm from Toronto and I now find myself in the same boat. I called last week for another appointment and got the news ($200.00 for a fill). I can't see how they can justify $200.00 for an appointment that lasts 10 min. They are probably just trying to get rid of us. Can they do this to us? Especially since Dr. Yau still works for them....If anyone has any insight please share. I'm worried about what all of this will mean for me in the future and wondering if legal action is the way to go......I so don't need this stress. :(

On a funny note, my dad is retired and has volunteered to hang out in front of the clinic and protest :)

Hi Slimbad,

I am trying to gather a list of people who have been banded with TLBC just in case we need to contact each other and so we can share information we may gather along the way. Can you send me your name and contact information (email) to tboyd67.wftw@gmail.com. Also, just wondering, do you have in possession an actual written contract from them when you did your surgery, I don't and it seems others don't as well. I though I just misplaced it but I think it was just verbal. That worries me.

Hope to hear from you.

Tamara

I have a whole file where I kept all of the TLBC stuff. I have everything from pre op assesment and receipt, to notes from their seminars, and not one single note about life time support. I also thought I misplaced my contract, but I'm now starting to think there wasn't ever one. I'm so pissed off at myself that i didn't think to get it in writing. Hindsight truly is 20/20. Tamara, I'll email you with my contact information.

Ok we have rights I have in house counsel at my place of work. I suggest we do not discuss our contracts on a public forum. We only need 10 for a class action. I have 5 including myself. I also have a referral for the best class action law firm. I think others will join quickly as the word spreads. I won't discuss what I was advised on a public form but we have cause. I will send an email to you now.

Thank GOD I am not the only one! TLBC did not dissolve they had to change the name due to a copyright infingement!!!

I was banded in 2008. I was told the exact same thing during the time I was in the middle of a medical investigation. It is totally disgusting that they think they can do this. I was told that i had no furhter support as they just don't have the manpower. I paid 18,0000 for lifetime of support and adjustments. I was given a final FREE fill in December and going forward I would have to pay $200 for fills.. I called back to get some information from my file and was told that I had to pay $25.00 since my file was in archive and purged from the system. As for Nancy, the BEST nurse ever!!! SHE will always be the BEST and Sharon can suck eggs!! I know where she went and she can be easily found if needed. The government will never approve the band in my opion because it will never be successfull in comaprison to theother procedures. If anyone needs reliable adjustments I know where you can have them done by a credible nurse who worked for TLBC at a resonable cost. Now I havent had any adjustments because I not wan to void my warranty BUT as far as Slimband is concerend we have no warranty. I think it absolutely terrible how they have handled this whole situation. I was thinking of getting a new reoporter to do a story. THere were several done prior on the new owner of Slimband.

OH and the best part was that THEY deleted my account from the community when they got there new program!!! unreal!

I have already contacted the reporter Tom Blackwell from the National Post. and informed me what was going on and he may be interested in doing a story. You should contact him also. My warranty will be over in 2 years on my band however I am thinking of having it removed. Slimband told me that OHIP would cover the costs of the removal. I have gone to my doctor and we have asked for a referral to see Dr. Yau and I haven't heard anything yet. Look above at Tamara's email and send your information to her. We are collecting emails and contact names.