Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many procedures in one op?

Whilst I have been set on breast reduction and lift, I am now considering a Tummy Tuck or lower body lift.

Is it better to get everything over and done with in one surgery? How manageable is it? I live on my own - would I need any help, even short term?

Thanks for any advice.

I have had a TT and breast lift and reduction at the same time. It wasnt too bad. But my mom helped me for the first 5-7 days. I was able to get up to the bathroom okay and all but it was nice to have the support and drive me to follow up appt.

I am all for doing as much as possible at one time. Once you go under make the most of it.

Good luck

You can only bee under anesthesia for so long. PS puts a BIG stress on your body. But, the breasts, whether it is a reduction with lift or aug with lift and a Tummy Tuck can be done at the same time...normally. Dr Niebles will only do 2 procedures at one time. The MMO (which is the breasts and tummy) is at LEAST 8 to 12 hours.

My surgery was 9 hours - two surgeons. It is a controversial subject with many opinions. I think really researching and understanding the trade offs is the way too go. I am glad I did alot at once - it is behind me now..whew. But, recovery took a long time. I am 3 months post op now and feeling and looking pretty good though!

Thanks all. Sounds like one op is do-able.

GJ, how long did you need to take off work?

I tooksix weeks although many do less.

I tooksix weeks although many do less.

Thanks, sounds like it would need to be done over the summer as I can afford to take six weeks off then.

Apprehensive about the anaesthetic (bad time post sleeve op with anaesthetic) but ok about the rest of it - for now, lol!

Thanks, sounds like it would need to be done over the summer as I can afford to take six weeks off then. Apprehensive about the anaesthetic (bad time post sleeve op with anaesthetic) but ok about the rest of it - for now, lol!

Can I ask what happen with anesthetic? There are a lot of choices about anesthesia. Another food reason to get a consult so you'll know how the team would approach your reaction/issue.

I have a close friend that's had three knee replacements (one failed). She was awake and under light sedation because she can't have general. They had to do one procedure at a time. She listened to music. Watched movies. Chatted with the team. Posted on Facebook. Crazy!!! They helped her figure out when she's want to use headphones. Lol.

Problems are just solutions waiting to happen!

CBT, had a bad reaction. Felt ok and was ready to get up and walk within 2 hours but every time I tried to walk, I passed out! First night and day, I had to be held up on toilet and was on oxygen. It took 40 hours before I could stand without fainting and the consultant told me it was the anaesthetic.

Cosmetics surgeon told me that their anaesthetic was different to the bariatric version - he said if they had people sick from the anaesthesia, no one would ever have more than one procedure! Did reassure me a bit...

My surgery was done with twilight sedation combined with an epidural. I had no post op sickness (like I have always had with General) and since the epidural apparently had pain meds in that lasted a day or two - i really had minimal pain. I think the thing is to just discuss this stuff at your consult, all surgeons are different and we are simply not educated enough to know the pros/cons and inherent risks. I just know this worked for me.

I had the same sedation as CGJane, without any problems either. I am happy this was used during my PS.

Thanks to you both, will ask surgeon about options for anaesthesia. The more I look at my body, the more I realise I need more than a boob lift. Did you do any muscle building before the op?

I was in good shape before surgery - did strength and aeerobic training. Not sure what difference it made but my basic shape was decent under the extra skin. I didn't have enough fat to Lipo but of course plenty of people have plastics with still some fat to lipo etc and get great results.

I don't have enough fat to Lipo, just skin to remove :-(

Checking out Pilates classes as I want to get some muscle and shape to my butt, back at the gym for t

Toning the rest of me.

Thanks for the advice, lots to think about.