Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

How Bout New Zealand

Views
Started by Gizmonz, Mar 22, 2007 12:03 AM
343 replies to this topic
343 replies to this topic

laura5127

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Rob Fris
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 255
  • Weight Lost: 159
  • Current Weight: 96
  • Goal Weight: 128
  • BMI: 16
Posted January 17, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hey guys,
Just thought i would do an update, so im a couple of months away from my 2 years post op and my weight has not really budged since i got to 95kg. I have been bouncing between 91kg and 97kg for about the last year and can't quiet seem to keep myself on track to get under that 90kg mark. My goals are big for 2013 and instead of focusing on losing weight which of course i do want to do, my main focus is going to be on living life... i just want to have fun this year and put myself out there and not hold back. Right now im looking and applying for jobs (as i finally graduated uni in december YAY!!!) not only here in NZ but also in Sydney as my dad is working in OZ and my brother is just about to move over next friday. I have applied for a job at a travel company which im really hopeful for cos i think it would be amazing.
Got to run, i have work, maybe i will post again but wish me luck
Fingers crossed that this year will be amazing.

ChangingMyLife

Novice

• Surgeon: Robert Cable
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 427
  • Weight Lost: 44
  • Current Weight: 383
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 67.8
Posted February 3, 2013 - 4:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would pop into here and say hi. I live in the Bay of Plenty and have been approved for my lap band surgery. Surgery date is 20th February. I have been booked since early December but now that we are in February I am starting to get super nervous.

One of my silly fears is that the hospital will not have a hospital gown that will fit :'( I know this is probably a silly fear as my mum said "there will be people bigger than you who have had operations" but I'm really scared that there isn't. I have done really well with my weight loss since December and am really excited to start this new chapter of my life.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is the port really easy to feel?

PaleoKris

Advanced Member

Posted February 3, 2013 - 6:42 PM

Laura - Maybe try and mix things up a bit with exercise and food? In the first couple of years I had my band I had an awesome personal trainer at the gym in Dunedin (she knew what I'd had done) and she was making sure I wasn't doing the same thing too often so my body got used to it... Good luck with the job hunting and the weight loss. :)

Speaking of your mum getting banded - how's she handling it? - my dad got the gastric sleeve, I think (not actually 100% sure what he got done, oops.) late last year... Interesting seeing another family member going through what you went through and knowing that despite all the advice you can give they still have to figure it out for themselves... Looking forward to being back home soon for a visit (less than 2 weeks now!!!) to have an indepth discussion with him about food.
That and I'm SO looking forward to being in NZ again. Even if it is only for a fortnight. Sigh.

ChangingMyLife - Hi! Welcome! :) As I've been explaining to my dad recently (and as Dr Fris, my surgeon, said to me ... 7 years ago...), listen to what your body is telling you with regards to how your stomach feels. It's a big mental mess because your mind will tell you one thing and your body will just be like "Nope, not gonna happen" with food.
Oh, and try every food carefully after the op when you first have it... I found out the hard way that dried fruit is very difficult for me... And 1 chocolate covered coffee bean apparently makes eating impossible for hours. (I haven't dared to retest that theory since....). And yeah, my port is really easy to feel, it's just under the skin. I think it may have been slightly less easy to feel when I'd just had the surgery, but I can't remember (I'm down at my goal weight).
For what it's worth, the band does restrict food intake, and things do get a bit sensitive once you're at your goal weight, but the fun thing I've found is, since getting to my goal weight, when I exercise more I'm able to eat a fair bit more than when I'm sitting around doing nothing (3x more, this evening) - the band is surprisingly adaptive, which is good.

laura5127

• Surgeon: Rob Fris
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 255
  • Weight Lost: 159
  • Current Weight: 96
  • Goal Weight: 128
  • BMI: 16
Posted February 3, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hey PaleoKris, I think I will... I did a four day juice fast last week just to kind of refresh my body and i lost a couple of kg so current weight tody was 93.6kg. been walking a couple of days last week and hoping to do a bit more this week (hoping the weather will clear a bit more tomorrow). As for food, I think i will do a couple of weeks of optifast to kind of kick start my weightloss again.

My mum is doing well, i think she is about 6-7 months out and she has lost about 10kg (she started at 96ish and is down to about 86ish), she is going to get a fill tomorrow as well cos she feels she needs some more restriction.

Today is a big day as well because my brother, Ashley, (25yr), has just had a gastric bypass with silastic band. he went in at about 8am this morning and like you 'changingmylife' he was very nervous but he came through great, it's the first day of the rest of his life and I believe it will be the best thing he has ever done. he started at 199kg and 6' 2", he did 8 weeks on optifast but took a week off it over xmas but lost 10kg in this period.

The band is a huge adjustment but I don't regret having it done one bit, I'm not at my goal weight... I still have a good 30kg to go... as for the port as i still have a ways to go i cant feel my port unless I physically feel and press it... you should be able to find it though cos of course they need to give you fills. At first its an odd feeling but you get use to it. Good Luck... and i think we all get or got nervous before our surgeries but for me I knew it was my best chance to make any changes in my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Oct 25
    JerzyTomato74

Gastric emptying study on Monday, then when I get home I will have a fun-fill...

Show comments (2)
View All Updates