Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gluten Intolerant and Sleeve, Anyone have and advice?

I had an idea for the past couple years that I had Gluten Issues but I was trying to get everything else in my life on track and get my weight down. I have Diabetes (Insulin dependent), fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, RA, OA & Psoriatic arthritis and a few other issues. Well now 1 year after Gastric Sleeve surgery and 93lbs down I am having enough issues with the Gluten that my Dr says I need to go Gluten Free.

Does anyone have any experience with these issues and have any words of wisdom you'd be willing to share?

Also I know there are a butt load of sites out there that have GF recipes, but what im having issues finding are places to get GOOD & CORRECT information about it and about all the new and different flours out there and other ingredients that I will now need to use. I live in a small town and there aren't many "Health" food stores to get info from. I would love to hear any help you are willing to offer to make this easier and less confusing for me. katrina_thatsme@hotmail.com Thank you in advance :}

Katrina :unsure:

I'm not gluten free, but the sleeve "rules" mean that most of us don't eat many gluten-containing foods. I hardly ever eat bread or Pasta for instance. Protein, vegetables, fruit, and dairy are my staples. Most gluten-free recipes are to modify gluten-y foods to be gluten free. You don't necessarily need to do that, since you probably don't need them anyway. If you are not celiac or do not have a diagnosed intolerance, then a little bit of gluten now and then will not hurt you. If you are trying to avoid all gluten ever, you will need to pay attention to things like ice cream, sauces, gravies, salad dressings as well as the things that obviously have wheat. So it just depends on what your goals are.

I have serious auto-immune issues associated with "Leaky Gut" or "Wheat Belly". I do not eat wheat, corn, soy, white sugar, nightshades, capsicums, rice, any kind of grain or legumes really. My "flour" is ground almond meal, flaxmeal, coconut or hemp.

I have serious auto-immune issues associated with "Leaky Gut" or "Wheat Belly". I do not eat wheat, corn, soy, white sugar, nightshades, capsicums, rice, any kind of grain or legumes really. My "flour" is ground almond meal, flaxmeal, coconut or hemp.

By capsicums you mean sweet peppers? I had no idea they caused any issues for anyone!

I am GF with auto-immune issues. One of my best tips is Bisquick Gluten Free. It is in Walmart and a ton of other supermarkets. I use it like I used flour. I have a ton of other inexpensive short cuts and tips. Just private message me anytime. I know it can seem overwhelming and even scary but you can do this, eat well and get to healthy! Blessings!

Capsicum, that whole family of peppers and pepper spices. The AIP, the Auto-Immune Protocol is extremely strict, it is a diet of exclusion and then you slowly reintroduce items. I have been eating this way since the end of September and when I ate a Christmas cookie I was messed up, like someone had injected me with horrible drugs.

feel free to private message me. my H is GF, and i cook mostly primal for us... we stay away from packaged GF products. they are expensive, unhealthy and my H cross reacts to the corn products in them.

specialty products like almond flour, rice Pasta, certified gluten free oats can be ordered easily online from Amazon.com, vitacost.com, etc.

just stick with simple Protein and veggies in the beginning, and you will be fine. :)

you can also get great deals on almond flour and such at Drvita.com that's where I've been ordering my stuff.

I do not have Celiac but I do have a lot of other health issues which most of them are auto-immune diseases. I’m not going Gluten free because of "the fad" I’m doing it because I have been told Gluten is the reason for a lot of my pain and inflammation. I don't eat bread or Pasta except a bit once in a very great while and have no problems cutting those out. But I am finding there is gluten in all sorts of things I would never think had "wheat or gluten".

What I’m trying to get info on are other people who have actually had to cut Gluten out of their lives either because of Celiac or having Gluten intolerance. What they have found to be an easier and more useful way. I don’t need recipes, I’m hoping once I learn the basics and am no longer so confused that I will be able to change my recipes into being gluten free. In a lot of the books I have found and info on the net, they tell you “What Gluten is what to avoid and give a crap load of recipes that I would never use.

So I’m just looking for some “REAL PEOPLE” experiences with this. Thank you all in advance for any help you are willing to give on your experiences, trials, failures, what your family and other people will actually eat that aren’t also GF.

Katrina

Do you ground your own flour, or do you buy it already ground? And when useing it if it calls for a cup of flour do you use the same amount in the almond, flaxmeal, coconut?? and what have you found with baking, ive read you have to add something to make it sticky like xantham or guar gum, which do you prefer?

Thank you in advance :} Katrina

Do you ground your own flour, or do you buy it already ground? And when useing it if it calls for a cup of flour do you use the same amount in the almond, flaxmeal, coconut?? and what have you found with baking, ive read you have to add something to make it sticky like xantham or guar gum, which do you prefer?

Thank you in advance :} Katrina

i avoid must of that stuff. sometimes i make stuff with almond flour, but i dont bother with baking, etc. its not the kind of stuff my H or i need to eat. we stick mostly with Protein, veggies, some fruit and the occasional Protein Shake. for Snacks my H eats greek yogurt and nuts and seeds mixed with a small amount of dried fruits and dark chocolate. makes my life easier and leaves less pans for us to wash.

I am gluten free. I have problems with inflammation and the doc thought it might help. It does. Think Adkins diet with all the veggies you can eat. I feel great. Lots of energy. I second the comment on gluten free biscuick but we shouldn't eat those products any way.

My daughter is celiac and I have 3 autoimmunes myself. It is amazing at the things that contain wheat you would never think. Like you can't lick envelopes and certain toothpastes. I buy the gluten free bisquick also and we like that. Walmart carries a ton more gluten free products. I will say for us it was trial and error with consistency and taste. Not everything you make tastes good. When baking you will have to try and see what tastes best to you. Gluten free is definitely a lot less moist usually. It took us years to find bread she would eat but schar makes a good bread but she always toasts it. As far as food you can make almost any meal gluten free pretty easily now a days. Feel free to ask any questions you need to.

schar makes a lot of products that people seem to like. the problem with schar is most of their stuff is corn based, which isnt a good choice for a lot of people with gluten/wheat issues. :(