Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0976852659/

This is such a good book. Every pre-op for any kind of bariatric surgery should read it, in my opinion. I read it pre-op and I'm re-reading it 8 months post-op. I might just read it once a year. It is available as paperback or ebook.

What would you add to a recommended reading list? We can pin this thread if there is interest.

i bought good carbs, bad carbs., and wheat belly..am reading them right now..the book you mentioned is on the way.....

i bought good carbs, bad carbs., and wheat belly..am reading them right now..the book you mentioned is on the way.....

Do you mean Good Calories, Bad Calories?

Do you mean Good Calories, Bad Calories?

Yup that's it!!!!!!!!!

I remember when I lent a friend the GCBC book. She was mad when she realized exercise causes hunger so the efficacy of exercise to lose weight is very poor. She rejected it and went on a Pasta diet....... *shrugs*

:-)

So I am pre-surgery, so my books focus on learning about the procrdure. ..Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, Big Book of Gastric Sleeve, The Sleeved Life.

I have had these for awhile and goback to them regularly. .Why We Are Fat, Good Calories Bad Calories (all of Taubes books are great).

I would like to get the workbook for emotional eating mentioned above, so I will order that next time I am on Amazon. ..

The Fast Diet- It is a super simple book, you hardly need it to follow its principles, but it is the single concept that got me to goal and through the holidays staying at goal this year...http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ not a diet, but a protocol.

The Emotional First Aid Kit is vital. Can't recommend it enough.

For general food and diet issues, I love:

"The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals" by Michael Pollan

Not about surgery or dieting, but a really eye-opening read about what we eat.

"Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes

I really loved this book and its low-carb view. I'm convinced that empty carbs are the ultimate enemy.

"Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food" by Jan Chozen Bay

Really, that's what we're trying to do.

"Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think" by Brian Wansink

Really, that's what we're trying NOT to do. :)

The end of overeating by David Kessler

I'm reading it right now and it fantastic!

"Stranger Here" by Jen Larsen - this is her account of the weight loss process she went through. Definitely not sugar-coated, and there are parts that I definitely disagree with, having gone through the experience of the weight loss surgery myself, but the book is definitely thought - provoking. If it rattles your cage a bit or makes you uncomfortable a bit, it makes you examine your own motives and that can be a good thing. One thing is for sure: weight loss surgery does not fix what makes us unhappy, that which originates from our thinking and from the way we approach life.

Im reading this book now and there so many things that I can identify with. How she feels about herself, how she feels about surgery, the doctor visits, approval process and I'm just up to her telling her friends. I would recommend it.