Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teachers with Tummy Tuck ? recovery time

I have spent about an hour searching this forum but can't seem to find the answer. Are there any teachers who have had a Tummy Tuck? If yes, how long was your recovery time? I am trying to decide if I need to wait until Summer (2014) or if I can schedule surgery for my Spring Break (we have a 2-week break). Thanks for any input.

I'm a para, special ed, in high school. I have a couple of questions. First, what do you teach, and second, how old are you. Are you having a full Tummy Tuck. I'm 57 and am used to bouncing back much faster than what I've been told. Granted, my experience has been very different. I lost my mom the day before surgery, but I had scheduled for two week off, took the third because of scheduling issues with my doctor. Then rolled into Christmas vacation AND had two snow days. First day back will be tomorrow, 5 weeks to the day from surgery, and while I could have gone back sooner I am really glad I had all this time. I find that the more I do the more my stomach aches. Yesterday was my first day in Spanx instead of the heavy duty surgical compression garment, and I was sore last night. So I guess my answer would depend on your answers to my questions.

I am 45 years old and I teach 3rd grade. I am having a full Tummy Tuck and a breast lift. I have already had my first consult. Now, I just need to schedule a surgery date. I am getting cold feet about surgery for spring break. . . just not sure what to do (?)

Would they freak out if you had to take a week off after break? I didn't have any breast work done so I can't speak to that, but as I recall in third grade you're still up and down a whole lot (circle time and such). I don't think 2 weeks would have been enough for me, but also remember I was dealing with the stress of my moms death. Who knows how much that affected my healing.

I haven't had a Tummy Tuck, however I have had a couple friends who have. Based on their experiences and road to recovery, I highly recommend you wait until summer.

I really could not extend my time beyond our already scheduled 2-week Spring Break due to State Testing, etc. At this point, I am leaning more towards scheduling it for summer.

If that is the case then I would op for summer. It really is major, major surgery!

One day after school was out, I was on a plane.

I had a lower body lift, breast lift, and butt lift in June. Since it is major surgery - let me Stress - MAJOR SURGERY, recovery time is a slow process and you will need time to heal. I am happy I waited until school was out. I recovered durning my summer break. I did not have any compilations following my surgery. Even then, I dreaded going back to work in the middle of August, because I was still moving kind of slow.

I needed the entire summer, and encourage you to wait till then.

Smile,

Sweetpee

Day 2 back at work after 5 weeks, I'm planning on taking this Friday off. Don't have to but the stars are aligning to make it feasible and just knowing I have 2 days left in the week is making it easier. I'd say 5-6 weeks, minimum!

Thanks for all of the input and replies. I have decided to wait until summer. There isn't a rush to have the surgery, and I can wait until June ;)

Glad you waited! I am on week two back (week 5 post op) I have started wearing my id, lanyard and keys to my back because it simply hitting my stomach every step I took caused spams! Yikes! Very glad I had a compression garment in the the car!

Edited by farmgirl04

Hey - I am 11 mths out now from a TT and BL. I am a teacher in a comprehensive school (high school) 11-16yr olds. I took 6 weeks off work to recovery. Like everyone has said it is major surgery and it takes the wind out of your sail... not so much with the pain, that is bearable, but the energy levels and swelling.

Don't get me wrong it is soooo worth it, but you really do need plenty of rest to avoid complications.

Good luck!