Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They said I'd be ok,they told me I could eat anything in moderation. They told me my overall health would improve. What they didnt tell me was the horror stories of what it would be like if things went wrong.. My story started 3yrs ago when i agreed to the bypass.I wanted the band but was told they wouldn't do it because i wouldnt loose weight fast enough. So I agreed to the bypass,hernia repair,and a gallbladder removed.My life changed that day, but not for the better. Oh their was weight loss,over 200lbs, and yes my blood sugar was under control. sleep Apnea....no effect. Since the surgery its been problem after problem.unable to eat most things,bowel movements are impossible without laxatives. Teeth falling apart due to Vitamin deficiency.Mental health?? what health, Be sure to find out what you can,ask questions do believe doctors know whats best for you,they dont tell you the rest of the stories,only the successes.

Edited by ajustice

Sorry to hear you have had a rough go of it, its good to hear the good and bad as this is a major surgery.

I had to do a 6 month program which I was given a lot of info good and bad, also spent hours doing my own research...knock on wood, I have had no issues post op but its good for pre ops to hear the risks because not everyone goes thru a great program..

Best of luck to you in the New Year

Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. Wls can be such a wonderful thing for most of us but it's good to get a reminder this surgery has risks. It's definitely something anyone pre op should balance in with making such a life altering choice. Good luck to you!

Dear Brian, I am so sorry to hear of your problems. My husband has been overweight since he was a baby. For 10 years my husband and I attended seminars, studying, reading, contemplating. We waited until the sleeve because he was terrified of the consequences of this major surgery, and I sure didn't push him. He still had that look of terror at our last pre-op visit, and the doctor said you should be scared. You have morbid obesity. Anything can happen. Please try to find the positives and seek advice. There are false teeth worn by many. We all suffer the bowel problems, either diarrhea or Constipation, my husband still has sleep apnea post surgery, his blood sugar is stable (like yours as you say) at 110-120 after many years of it averaging 300-400 morning and night, and many ER trips unconscious by Rescue with 40 blood sugars at 3 am. At 66, he is alive, and doing good, 1 month post op. I am going to pray for you, and as for your mental health, please find someone to talk to and help you with this. When you get that help, I believe you can emotionally and confidently deal with the other problems. I will deal with any problems so long as my husband is living, and I know you have loved ones who feel the same about you. God's Grace, and my best to you. I was sleeved also, and no longer on Metformin, and breathing better with my asthma.

There are so many things that they don't tell us. I have been going through this process for almost a year and I have reached out to every single resource I could find. Youtube and this website has been my guiding light. There are complications that are associated with surgery. Some people have totally different experiences. I think that it depends on your support systems and your expectations. It is helpful to have someone that can be blunt and informative. The sugar coat is no good. Having the procedure and gaining advantages is work within itself.

I am pre-op and I'm trying to prepare myself for complications but I'm not sure if one can really do that. It's scary. It's life changing. It is more than a small decision. It will impact you for the rest of your life. Now that you have gone through with it, you need support, support, support. You need people that you can talk to about nutritional requirements. Someone that can talk to you candidly about things such as having to poop and how your body will change. Most importantly, you need someone to reach out to about how your life and mind are changing. Once again referring to support, reach as far as possible. A dietician, a therapist, your doctor, your family, your friends, people on this board, youtube, other bariatric sites. Reach, reach, reach! There is support out there and I think that you have come to the perfect place.

Was it easy? Will it be easy? No one should ever been encouraged that this is a simple process. This is some hard stuff and it will take guidance and a helping hand. Just know that this is not going to last. You got through the process and the surgery. That takes soooo much courage! Now channel your strength into your recovery. You can do this!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and know that this is temporary and that you made the right choice.

I agree. The same with me. I use sensodyne toothpaste. That helps. As far as food. I still do soft foods. Chewing is a chore. I hate it because of the sensitivity and i dont throw up soft foods. Mentally i was so worried about my body image. Hell i had more confidence when i was Fat. Reality speaking i am healthier. The problems physically have always been there just couldnt be assessed because of the excess weight. We have to change our mindset. Its a journey. Thank God for this site. Its gonna be alright.

Sorry you have had trouble on the path to being healthy. While I have loved the surgery, not everyone comes out with no complications. I did a TON of research beforehand; it boarded on obsession. I learned the good and bad of the surgery; I came to the conclusion that the benefits outweighed the risks for me. I think the best thing to let people know is that there are risks, as with any surgery as well as with obesity. You definitely have got to be prepared as well as informed prior to this life altering surgery. I wish you the best of luck and hope you will get better and find some happiness.

I prepped myself for years, got on three or four sites , asked a million questions, and started a group of over 50 people having their surgery sept 2012. we have stayed together on FB through the last years and its been invaluable. we are a private group so we can say or post anything openly and private. and boy do we! i had few complications immediately post op but i was weak and still very unable at over 400lbs. my heart condition atrial fib got increasingly worse til i was on disability for 7 months. finally got it under control in july but by that time i had lost my job, i freaked a bit and jumped at the first travel nursing offer and came to NH from DC since august. i have lost over 200 lbs , my dm type 2 has improved, bp better, arthritis not as great as i hoped, i still live with daily pain and have some difficulty with stairs. but i can chase my grandson, get up off the couch easily, fit in any chair , finally dont have that nagging worry in the back of my mind..... will i find a seat big enough, a bathroom stall accommodating to my size, and if i had to fly i would only be in my own seat not crushing some poor stranger who is hating me for my size. Many in my group have had worse complications- belly pain, gallbladder issues, and bowel problems. hang in there it does get better!

I understand. I am now 5 weeks out of the hospital. I had surgery GB on August 12th, 2013 and after many, many complications and a medically induced 3 week coma I went home on Jan. 3rd, 2014.

I understand. I am now 5 weeks out of the hospital. I had surgery GB on August 12th, 2013 and after many, many complications and a medically induced 3 week coma I went home on Jan. 3rd, 2014.

Coke52 I hope you are doing better. Praying for you