Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just going to get this rolling. Here is an "official" 5:2 fourm.

Not all links are equal, just some reading if your interested...

This is where I linked to the 5:2 FAQs page:

FAQ: meat consumption. From the original fast diet site. That second paragraph says it all!

Vive the Veg-olution!

Lots of buzz about at the moment around ‘demi-veg’ and part-time vegetarians (or ‘flexitarians’ – one of those clunky words that may well never take off, even if the activity does). Last week, the International Development Committee pointed to increased meat consumption as a catalyst for recent global food crises. And we all know that too much meat (particularly of the processed variety) is linked to all kinds of health issues.

One recent European study found that the biggest consumers of processed meat increased their risk of death from heart disease by 72% and cancer by 11%. The World Cancer Research Fund advises limiting intake of red meat because of its links to bowel cancer. By contrast, a six-year study published last week in the Journal of the American Medical Association and reported in the London Evening Standard found that ‘the mortality rate among vegetarians was 12 per cent lower than in omnivores, while demi-veggies had an 8 per cent lower death rate than meat eaters’.

This really is food for thought – and it fits in neatly with The Fast Diet mantra of ‘mostly Plants and Protein’. Filling your plate with veg at the expense of meat, even for two days a week, could have a significant effect on your health, your waistline, your pocket and – yes – the planet. As Einstein once said, ‘Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.’

Perhaps full-time vegetarianism is too seismic a shift for some of us, but we could all do with moving towards more plant Proteins, legumes, herbs, veggies. And, really, there’s no sacrifice. A veg-based meal relies on spicing, texture, colour, crunch – and once you’re in the zone, it’s not so hard to come up with great meatless meals (there are tons of ideas in The Fast Diet Recipe Book of course). I had lunch at Ottolenghi in Notting Hill a fortnight ago: bliss on a plate, and no meat, not a sausage. As the Standard says, maybe it’s time to join the vegolution?

how many meals on a fast day? and other questions.

http://feedfastfeast...t-by-the-horns/

http://www.52fastdie...ting-t7857.html

a little 5:2 research-what is the dif between slow and fast losers on 5:2

If you have the time, read it, 12 page article on fasting, fun, fact filled and a little heady....inspirational, confirms the real reason we are all doing it, longevity and health.

http://www.scribd.co...ur-Way-to-Vigor

Have not read yet (will tonight), but by same author, on the fast diet...

http://www.scribd.co...n-the-Fast-Diet

This was posted else ware, but I thought it would be good to have it in our "bag of tricks" here as well...

http://www.obesityhe...an-fail-part-2/

Edited by feedyoureye

This should keep everybody busy that are interested in the 5:2, keep in mind this is for people who are at least a year out, have hit the wall, or started regaining... have not reached goal after a loooong stall... the rest of you, ring the life out of your Dr and Nuts plan before going here.... Not all people lose weight on this plan, it is not a quick weight loss plan, it is a lifestyle protocol that is a plan to improve longevity, and some people lose weight on it too. It is not a quick fix. That being said, some people here who could just not get the last few pounds off, or were starting to gain, have found success with this protocol.....

2 1/2 after WLS I had gained 22 pounds, and had never gotten to goal... I felt like I had tried everything, and this plan got the regain off, and I am now at goal, maintaining my bounce range through the holidays so far! I am not alone in that.

Edited by feedyoureye

This link is for those vets that have questions or input:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/289313-the-52-diet/

This link is for Vets to post with their success storries with the 5:2:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/265117-52-evangelist/

Please feel free to add additional links here about the 5:2 or related medical papers of interest....

Thanks for posting this.

Many of us vets who have been using the 5:2 protocol also believe it will be perfect for maintenance with a few modifications.

some reading if your interested...

OMG girlfriend

i have trouble reading and understanding goldilocks and the three bears!!! :o

i'm gonna read and get all this???? :huh:

wellllllll, i'm gonna grab a pitcher/gallon of Water - and start!!!!

i'm sure there is a lot of great info that i will appreciate learning about

i have heard of, but never tried the 5-2

i'm afraid i have gained 4 lbs - and i need to stop there!!!!

thanx for researching and putting all these links together :)

you are aces and have done so well :)

know you can't come around the neighborhood as often :(

so when you do, my eyes and ears open wide!!!! :)

wish me luck, gonna start reading now

shhhhh.....no interruptions please - unless you bring me a fage yogurt with fresh blueberries :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Can we get this pinned?

Thanks Butter!

I will post anything I find in the future... really once you get down the couple of rules and suggestions, its pretty easy. Keep in mind us vets following this plan do not eat "anything we want in any amounts" on feast days. We keep it WLS normal... around 1100-1500 cals depending on the person, how much exercise and such...and around 500 on fast days, keeping it clean, lower carb, 50 gms Protein and plenty of Water and veggies. Most of us eat later in the day... keep the fast starting the night before going as long as we can... I only have one Protein Drink that lasts until around 6pm then a normal dinner (around 350 cals) Let me know how it goes for you if you try it here:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/289313-the-52-diet/

It gets easier after the first week or two. Most look forward to fast day once they get in the groove. DO watch the Documentary...worth it.

Edited by feedyoureye

Good work, Kim! Folks, the research she has assembled for you is excellent and if that doesn't help make a case for 5:2, we are just two of many who have tried and succeeded with 5:2.

I am 3 1/2 years out. Around year 2 1/2 gradually started adding back weight until I had regained almost 30 pounds. Tried several things to kick start weight loss and find a way to maintain and stumbled into 5:2 FastDiet and started it in June.

Since them I lost all 30 plus am additional 10 so I now 10 points below original goal reached in 2010. Now, as Kim said, it has become a lifestyle and perfect way to maintain OR lose.

Thank you for compiling this great information. Sounds like just what I need. My surgery was nearly 2 years ago, had no major problems, lost a bunch....Lately, I find myself eating mostly carbs, even though they usually do not agree with me! Time to get back to a healthy, clean, protein-filled way of eating!

Edited by Jswilbur

Hi All,

Long time since I've been on the boards but my new year's resolution is to come back. My surgery was June 2010. I've had weight gain issues. I'm probably about 135 lbs now--still a healthy weight but 1) I'm afraid of continuing to go up and up and 2) I really did feel better at 120 lbs. Sooo, what to do? Considering 5:2. Actually, I'm doing a modified 5:2 this week because I have a (routine) colonoscopy on Thursday. My doctor has a two day fasting protocol. I am on day one. so far, so good.

Hey all,

First fast day went great. It was easier than I expected. I think I had a little over 500 calories. Jazzed.

Hey all, First fast day went great. It was easier than I expected. I think I had a little over 500 calories. Jazzed.

Way to go! Once you do it for a while, you will find your body/mindset actually waiting for fast days! Lol