Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No loss in 1 yr

After losing 25 lbs in the first 2 months, (Oct.- Nov. 2012) I haven't lost a single pound since. I'm frustrated and my surgeon can't explain it. I recovered too easily and have no food restrictions or side effects from the surgery. Miami Valley did the surgery but I have seen a nutritionist at Kettering med center. MVH insists on my eating solid foods while Kettering says that if that isn't working, go back to Protein Shakes. I'm stuck at 180. Any ideas ?

It sounds like you have a few issues to address. Firstly, you seem to have doubts about how well your op was done - NO food restrictions! Wow. I would be getting an independent medical review that ends with confirming your sleeve was done appropriately - or not - in regard to size/volume. Once that is confirmed, get an endocrine system full check - I'm particularly thinking of your thyroid function. Underactive thyroid is very common, and should be excluded. Even "subclinical" results (normal, but only just) can cause many symptoms like full blown thyroid dysfunction, including weight gain. Finally (or perhaps first), are you recording your diet? Many, many people on this forum will tell you they need to eat less than 1000 cal per day, low fat, low carb and zero alcohol in order to lose weight.

With such a limited outcome over a year (unless you didn't have much to lose in the first place) you need to be systematic - and diligent - to get to the bottom of this.

Good luck.

Edited by Sydney Susan

It sounds like you have a few issues to address. Firstly, you seem to have doubts about how well your op was done - NO food restrictions! Wow. I would be getting an independent medical review that ends with confirming your sleeve was done appropriately - or not - in regard to size/volume. Once that is confirmed, get an endocrine system full check - I'm particularly thinking of your thyroid function. Underactive thyroid is very common, and should be excluded. Even "subclinical" results (normal, but only just) can cause many symptoms like full blown thyroid dysfunction, including weight gain. Finally (or perhaps first), are you recording your diet? Many, many people on this forum will tell you they need to eat less than 1000 cal per day, low fat, low carb and zero alcohol in order to lose weight.

With such a limited outcome over a year (unless you didn't have much to lose in the first place) you need to be systematic - and diligent - to get to the bottom of this.

Good luck.

Excellent advice.....I concur....

i agree with SS. also i think because we are in this situation you need to consider self-sabotage. we have all done it, that is why we are here.sadly. if your surgery is validated, and you are in fact sleeved, and your labs are all normal. do try a do over. do the shakes for 6 weeks, then 30mgs of Protein for three meal, and no carb Snacks. drink all the darn Water and take the power multivites. if you are sleeved, that is unchanged. (anyone with a vertical sleeve can still drink Hershey syrup) you did do this surgery for a reason, get you mind set, get a goal, take baby steps, in one direction, go to the gym, and be good to yourself, no not snack bad, you don't reward alcoholics with booze if they have been sober for a few months.. please keep a good thought and keep us posted

I am 20 months out and was a slow loser but now going in reverse. Total I had lost 60 pounds, gained 10 pounds back. So disappointed...now finding it extremely hard to lose or stick to diet. Also, cravings are back for sugar. Exercising like crazy and mot seeing scale move. Drinking my Protein Shake in morning but may not be enough. Anyone in my same boat that has had success breaking through and losing the regain?

Hi Pia,

I'm the one that started this thread. I totally get where your coming from. It is frustrating. I have had some success with logging my food on an app called Calorie Count. It keeps track of all kinds of things including the amount of Protein I eat every day. Protein is key. Even with Protein Shakes if you don't get enough protein you won't lose. You can also print 30 days of your food log for your dr. or nutritionist to take a look at to see if they have any ideas on tweaks that can be made to help you see more success .

Thanks SMhagood,

Do you think it is possible that I've stretched my sleeve?

hi pia...me too has put on weight....took some medicine for gout...and weight has gone up..must be Water retention...

but it is depressing...

After losing 25 lbs in the first 2 months, (Oct.- Nov. 2012) I haven't lost a single pound since. I'm frustrated and my surgeon can't explain it. I recovered too easily and have no food restrictions or side effects from the surgery. Miami Valley did the surgery but I have seen a nutritionist at Kettering med center. MVH insists on my eating solid foods while Kettering says that if that isn't working, go back to Protein Shakes. I'm stuck at 180. Any ideas ?

Can you tell me a little more about the tracker you use. I too am struggling me need to track better roses if that will help.

I can totally relate to smhagood. I was so happy after my July 16,2013 surgery in Tijuana. I lost

30 pounds and then in January all weight loss stopped. I am still thrilled that I am off all of my

diabetes and cholesterol medicines but am very frustrated that I have not lost, in fact, have gained 5 pounds back. I was faithful and putting everything down on my fitness pal but no loss and I began eating more without any problems.

I stopped looking at this forum because it depressed me even more to see how much others were losing.

I am back on track and would like to hear from others that have stalled for over 6 months and then got back to losing.

I just needed to get this off of my chest and it happened when I saw someone that I could relate to.

Would like to know how others are dealing with similar situations. Thanks in advance

Hi I too lost only 22 lbs in the first 2 months...then no weight loss...i even put on 2,3 lbs. now i am slowly loosing thank God.i made a few changes in my diet. Started green tea, veg juice,boiled vegetables and egg whites.

all the best. we have to really work hard at this.

I am just starting to exercise so I have not lost anything yet. I did a walking video ( I will begin slow because I have knee pain, from weight and thin cartilage problems. I am also beginning on my exercise bike). I am trying not to eat any carbs at night and will have my Protein Drink instead of wheat thins. I am looking for advise from those who are finding success. I did not get this surgery to starve myself or become a vegan or anything wild. I am 61 years old and just want to get healthy and live a longer, less painful life. Thanks

Edited by honib52