Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going tomorrow to discuss lapband removal

I was banded June 2010. The first year went great. I lost close to 75 lbs. One day I went to get a fill and the dr filled me so tight, the min I took a sip of Water I felt a horrible pain and vomited immediately. Ever since... 2.5 years later I have struggled. I vomit almost all I eat. I've been several times to be tested for hernias, upper gi, endoscopy , and barium swallow. They never find anything wrong. Therefore I am done. I haven't been tested in about a year. I got tired of forking out money. Now, I am DONE. I want it out. Ive read several stories on here. I guess I know to expect a week off work. But what I'm most concerned over is the scar tissue. What other side effects will u get from scar tissue? What else should I expect? Any advice ? Kind words ? I am solo emotional over this, but I need it gone. I need to start anew.

i have a question. is your band still filled? instead of removing it, can you deflate the band so food moves through it more easily. i am truly sorry you are going through what you are. and you did so well. i hope you get the answers you want tomorrow.

I agree with Terry. I recall the first 60 days after surgery I could eat anything but the band still held me back from eating as much as I could before. But, when it had no saline in it steak, chicken, pizza, anything passed through with no problem.

You might also try to find another doctor who has a clue?

You said this is ever since a fill? Did the doctor remove some Fluid?

If not, not only do you need an unfill but you need a new doctor desperately. You should never, ever be allowed to go years with a band too tight.

Sorry to hear...are you going to get the sleeve?

As per your story...was it a year before your first fill?

Was it your one and only Fill?...... How much?

And did it remain filled for the 2.5 years you've had problems....

Issues such as yours are something we all should be concerned about...at least I know I am....so knowing as much background info helps a lot...

If you could not sip Water, I'm surprised the Dr. let you leave the office that way....or did He/She take some, if not all of the Fluid out....and did you go back at another time and have some Fluid put back in....a second fill....

Let us know what the final outcome is.....

Im so sorry I was so vague in my story telling lol. I will def answer questions.

Okay, I was banded june 2010 and 1 month later I received mt first fill of .5cc then 1 month later I went for another .5cc. I was good for a while. Then I worked my way up over the course of a year to 4cc in a 10cc band. I stayed there for most the year doing amazing. The fill that changed everything the dr put in a full 1cc instead of half. The min I vomited the Water, he removed half of the cc. I swallowed the Water and it went down w no issues. 2 days on liquid n 2 days mushies then I ate normal food. The normal food would not stay down. Went to the dr he did barrium swallow n said nothing was wrong. He unfilled me anyway. I waited 1 month n started the fill procedure all over again. Year 2 I never had a sweet spot. Always vomiting. Performed endoscopy, upper gi, barium etc. Found nothing wrong. Ive been completely empty for the past year n half. Still vomit most of my food. Acid reflux is insane. I switched drs and this dr seems much more into my issues. He also thinks a 14cc band will solve mt issues. I just honestly want a break. I loved my band. I dont regret getting it. I may have one put back in in the future. I dont think the sleeve will work for me due to acid reflux / gerd. I tried as long as I could try. I ate slow, stayed away from all whites, chewed.. to no avail. I hope this helped you guys to understand my story better.

Im so sorry I was so vague in my story telling lol. I will def answer questions.

Okay, I was banded june 2010 and 1 month later I received mt first fill of .5cc then 1 month later I went for another .5cc. I was good for a while. Then I worked my way up over the course of a year to 4cc in a 10cc band. I stayed there for most the year doing amazing. The fill that changed everything the dr put in a full 1cc instead of half. The min I vomited the Water, he removed half of the cc. I swallowed the Water and it went down w no issues. 2 days on liquid n 2 days mushies then I ate normal food. The normal food would not stay down. Went to the dr he did barrium swallow n said nothing was wrong. He unfilled me anyway. I waited 1 month n started the fill procedure all over again. Year 2 I never had a sweet spot. Always vomiting. Performed endoscopy, upper gi, barium etc. Found nothing wrong. Ive been completely empty for the past year n half. Still vomit most of my food. Acid reflux is insane. I switched drs and this dr seems much more into my issues. He also thinks a 14cc band will solve mt issues. I just honestly want a break. I loved my band. I dont regret getting it. I may have one put back in in the future. I dont think the sleeve will work for me due to acid reflux / gerd. I tried as long as I could try. I ate slow, stayed away from all whites, chewed.. to no avail. I hope this helped you guys to understand my story better.

Thanks for clearing that up....if it were me, I would suspect I could not tolerate the slightest amount of restriction,

Oh wow! Yes, i'm thinking just maybe a bigger band wld alleviate some of the restriction and vomiting that you're having.

There's even an 11cc band.

But it just sounds like you're not interested in having any band at all right now.

I'd be worried about regaining the lost weight. You've come so far but you're right, at what cost???

What if you do replace the band w/an 11 or 14 and just not fill it? in case your weight does begin to slowly creep back in the wrong direction some months later and then decide to take low to moderate fills (just in case)...

I'd hate to leave w/no band at all....

I would LOVE to replace the band with the 14cc band. .. but I guess im scared ill end up w the same issues. Im completely unfilled n throw up constantly with the 10cc. I kinda think my body needs a break. Im scared of weight gain too. However I eat soooo much healthier now. I love green smoothies, raw veggies, raw eating, clean eating. I follow amazing weight loss motivators on instagram. I also have become anemic and my primary seems to think due to lack of nutrients from lapband. So it restricts the amount of exercise bc I get light headed, dizzy, and nauseous. I guess I am just tired... emotional... and at my wits end.Sigh.

Update: I went to see my dr today and he gave me two options. Having the band removed with little chance of getting rebanded due to scar tissue issues. Gaining all my weight back plus some and living with the fact that I didn't give it a 2nd chance. OR allowing the dr to remove scar tissue from my stomach. He' said with the smaller bands that scar tissue can form under the band causing restriction even though there is no Fluid in the band. He would remove the scar tissue and then replace the band with a 14cc band. He said it would give my stomach so much more room to breathe if I ever needed a full unfill or happen to slip. I really want to keep my lapband and try again with a larger band. I've just been through hell with this current band for 2.5 years and it's hard to focus on positive outcomes. I told the dr when he does the surgery if he finds scar tissue and things that would have caused me to vomit and experience acid reflux then go ahead n fix me up. But if he goes in and finds nothing wrong... I want it out. Bc that means my body just isn't accepting it.

Any thoughts ?

HI!

Im sorry I missed your other post on a topic I started, until just now.

I don't know much about scar tissue. My surgeon said we won't know for 6 months after de-banding whether there will be an issue with it or not. I had my band removed Sept 16th of this year.

In your post you said your doctor gave you two options, one of which was to remove the band and gain back all your weight...which is what I'd like to comment on. That is NOT a done deal. You do not automatically gain back all your weight, or any, just because you have your lap band out. I am continuing to lose weight - though much slower and I have to be vigilant about what I put in my mouth. But, then I also had to be vigilant about what I put in my mouth when I had the band! So not so different :)

I love that you are eating healthy foods and have learned to love them. That will help a lot! Plus you seem very motivated to reach your goal however you have to reach it.

I just want you to know that even though lots of people regain their original weight if they have their band out, it doesn't have to be that way. And it doesn't just "happen" out of the blue. I'm not saying it's easy to continue to lose! But the same courage that you used to get the band in the first place will help power you to continue to lose weight after removal.

It seems you really want the bigger lap band. Would the deal be that the doctor would only give you a bigger band if he removes the scar tissue first? My suggestion is that you do very thorough research about that and have another talk with him about what that would entail. One question I would have is what is the usual impact of the removal of scar tissue in that area? Can that process cause it's own scar tissue? Would he be doing that at the same time that he removes the band?

If there is an opportunity to have your current band removed and then wait before doing anything else, that is what I would do. It would be a chance to see how you do with all you have learned and all your new eating habits.

You may pleasantly surprise yourself! The best thing would be to be able to get to your goal without the assistance of the band (in my opinion)

You asked for people's thoughts, and those are mine :)

I'm glad you have the option of getting a larger band if that is what you decide! And I like how you are thinking about it, knowing your body could simply be rejecting the band.

I hear you are emotional and tired and DONE. I also hear that you have your best interests at heart and if it turns out that no band is best, then no band it is. I love your energy and your personal insights and I think you can trust your inner wisdom as you make the decision.

Ask your questions and trust your gut.

~hiddn

I seem to be in the same predicament. I was banded 3 years ago, and have not been able to tolerate any fills. Threw up with all of them. My band is a small one, and I scar very easily. I feel a slight restriction even with no fill. The result is OK - I eat smaller servings now, and healthier foods. But I have not lost weight due to constant grazing, and no exercise. However, that's another few threads I need to visit. Just wanted to share that maybe just having the band in place is a good restriction for some of us. Anybody have thoughts on this?

HI!

Im sorry I missed your other post on a topic I started, until just now.

I don't know much about scar tissue. My surgeon said we won't know for 6 months after de-banding whether there will be an issue with it or not. I had my band removed Sept 16th of this year.

In your post you said your doctor gave you two options, one of which was to remove the band and gain back all your weight...which is what I'd like to comment on. That is NOT a done deal. You do not automatically gain back all your weight, or any, just because you have your lap band out. I am continuing to lose weight - though much slower and I have to be vigilant about what I put in my mouth. But, then I also had to be vigilant about what I put in my mouth when I had the band! So not so different :)

I love that you are eating healthy foods and have learned to love them. That will help a lot! Plus you seem very motivated to reach your goal however you have to reach it.

I just want you to know that even though lots of people regain their original weight if they have their band out, it doesn't have to be that way. And it doesn't just "happen" out of the blue. I'm not saying it's easy to continue to lose! But the same courage that you used to get the band in the first place will help power you to continue to lose weight after removal.

It seems you really want the bigger lap band. Would the deal be that the doctor would only give you a bigger band if he removes the scar tissue first? My suggestion is that you do very thorough research about that and have another talk with him about what that would entail. One question I would have is what is the usual impact of the removal of scar tissue in that area? Can that process cause it's own scar tissue? Would he be doing that at the same time that he removes the band?

If there is an opportunity to have your current band removed and then wait before doing anything else, that is what I would do. It would be a chance to see how you do with all you have learned and all your new eating habits.

You may pleasantly surprise yourself! The best thing would be to be able to get to your goal without the assistance of the band (in my opinion)

You asked for people's thoughts, and those are mine :)

I'm glad you have the option of getting a larger band if that is what you decide! And I like how you are thinking about it, knowing your body could simply be rejecting the band.

I hear you are emotional and tired and DONE. I also hear that you have your best interests at heart and if it turns out that no band is best, then no band it is. I love your energy and your personal insights and I think you can trust your inner wisdom as you make the decision.

Ask your questions and trust your gut.

~hiddn

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I didn't see this until now, I was never notified of a response. I truly appreciate what you wrote. I will def ask my dr those questions you posted. I didn't even think to ask that. I've been prayng and prayng and I feel like my answer is coming to me from all my wonderful friends n family who are encouraging me to try this one more time. My dr was just trying to be realistic , I don't think hew as trying to scare me into anything. Bc he was all for removing it too. He said if he removed the lapband that it is hard to go back in year or so later and place a new one bc of scar tissue. This scar tissue stuff confuses me. Anyhow he said I should do I fine if I want to replace it same time as removing the smaller band. My nurse also told me that folks who get the bigger band do WONDERFUL with the bigger band. So it's kind of reassuring. What were the reasons you had yours removed? Congrats on keeping the weight off and continually working toward your goal!

UPDATE:: I have decided to have the band replaced, and shockingly enough.... One week liquid diet and I have surgery this Friday at 7am. Wow! I'm nervous and anxious. Please send prayers and well wishes. I sure need em.

I had all the same problems over a two year period with a 14cc band with no fill.

I had semi-exploratory surgery six months ago with my surgeon being of the opinion that the band needed to come out. He told me at that time that he was taking out more bands than he was putting in.

I begged him to do all he could to save it. He fixed a significant hiatal hernia and left it in. A month later the problems came back with a vengence. My band was removed on Monday. I won't know until my follow up how significant the scarring is/was, but the surgeon told my husband he's got a lot of images to show me.

I am curious to see the cause of all my misery. I'm not sure that I will under go another procedure despite my surgeon's snappy PA advising me that all the band removal patients she sees, "just pack it on"!

Methinks she's packing it on i.e., the BS, since getting me to come back in means more money for the practice!