Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs And Cocaine

Excellent article! thanks for sharing it.

Actually we don't need to ingest any form of carbs - the body makes what it needs from fat, Protein etc. Ketones are actually the prime fuel that the body and brain prefer. yes fruits and veggies contain a plethora of micro nutrients that we don't get elsewhere - so they are great in that respect - in terms of fuel i will take lean Protein please.

Not from me - from my team of nutritionists at the surgeons office. From putting this into practice over the last few years - I tend to believe them ;)

I'm with you! Yes, the body will make what it needs from any of the three macronutrients, but firstly/immediately from carbs. It will only convert fat and protein if you haven't eaten in a few days or if you just completed a marathon. LOL

So bring on protein, protein and more protein, please!!! B)

Soooooo.... As I sit here reading all this information and eating a "Yoplait Light" I notice it has 16g of carbs in it...At the risk of sounding stupid, how many Carbs are ok to eat a day? I had surgery Dec.3rd 2013.

Soooooo.... As I sit here reading all this information and eating a "Yoplait Light" I notice it has 16g of carbs in it...At the risk of sounding stupid, how many Carbs are ok to eat a day? I had surgery Dec.3rd 2013.

People set carb limits differently but the recommendation for those who are insulin resistant and carb addicted is to divide your protein/fat/carb ratios into 40/40/20. For me, at an 800 calorie diet that's about 80/36/40 gms respectively.

I say anything under 50 gms is good for low-carb sleevers, but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on this topic too.

Gamergirl ....Thank you very much for your reply>

People set carb limits differently but the recommendation for those who are insulin resistant and carb addicted is to divide your protein/fat/carb ratios into 40/40/20. For me, at an 800 calorie diet that's about 80/36/40 gms respectively.

I say anything under 50 gms is good for low-carb sleevers, but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on this topic too.

I think somewhere in my materials it says to aim for no more than 100 carbs per day. That said, I aim for the percentages GG states above, but overall I think I end up between 40 and 60. It's not an exact science if I want any variety in my diet. But what you say is telling: a yogurt can easily be the difference between going above and staying on target in this formula!

If you are hitting your calorie and Protein targets, it is really hard to go over 100 grams of carb a day in my experience. I found this to be true on 800 cals and 40 grams protein, and I find it true now on 1200 cals and 60+ grams of protein. I am almost always under 60 grams of carbs.

If you are hitting your calorie and Protein targets, it is really hard to go over 100 grams of carb a day in my experience. I found this to be true on 800 cals and 40 grams protein, and I find it true now on 1200 cals and 60+ grams of protein. I am almost always under 60 grams of carbs.

This reassures me quite a bit. You are correct, since 100 gms of carbs would have 500 calories, and 60 gms of protein would have 300 calories, unless I was eating non-fat protein (hunh?) I would be way under 100 no matter what. Phew!

Remember, not all are so carb insensitive. Just research and "practice". I found this book to be helpful, and from a food standpoint I do much better on a VERY low carb diet. I try to avoid ALL, and that get's be between 20 and 50gm on most days. BUT I am NOIT saying this is a good approach for you! For me sugar and simple carbs make be sooooo hungry... Addictively so. The book:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388311057&sr=1-3&keywords=good+fat+bad+fat

I am a vegetarian, and my Protein all has some carbs in it. Gluten has the most protein per ounce-104 cals-21 gms pro and 4 gms carbs, but you can't live on gluten alone! During the losing phase, I tried to stay under 100, and now in maintenance I am closer to 175 a day. The trick, I believe is using low glycemic index carbs rather than HGI carbs most of the time. It may or may not be why it has taken me so long to lose, but I did lose to goal and still eat a lot of carbs. If I get into pure sugar and highly processed "white" carbs, I will get the carb monster. Otherwise, not so much. For a long time I thought I might never lose weight because I was not willing to eat meat/fish/foul.... but LGI works as well for Vegetarians.... and protein drinks...

Ever heard of Rabbit starvation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

I remember hearing about it when reading about the Donner party.

...It is similar to documented cases of “Rabbit Starvation” which is dying from eating only rabbit meat which has little fat. Thus the Donner Party, which was stuck in the Sierra Nevada in the winter of 1846/47, resorted to cannibalism when it did little good, that is, after everyone had not eaten for a long time. (Though it should be mentioned some new research suggests they were not as cannibalistic as once thought.)

(may be offensive to some)

http://www.eattheweeds.com/cannibalism/

Edited by feedyoureye

Wow. Amazing reading

fye - I found that information on rabbit starvation a very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

great artical thanks for sharing

WOW! just WOW! And all true! I really need a donut now. :)