Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs And Cocaine

Sooo true! Carbs should be on the forbidden law books and illegal in our country. Of course, just like a coke addict we'd find us some carbs in a dark ally if needed

Not all carbs are bad...your body turns everything you eat into sugar...does not matter if it is meat of dairy or anything else...

We do need some good carbs, like veggies and fruit...Cocaine we can live without and don't need it..

food will always be a demand on us..We must chose wisely and there are carbs that are good for you...just saying!

Pssssst, hey buddy, want some cake?

RJ's, I believe the focus is on high glycemic foods... refined sugars and processed foods.

"'fast-burning carbohydrates—just like cocaine—give you a rush. As with blow, this rush can lead to cravings in your brain and intrusive thoughts when you go too long without a fix. "

I completely and totally, whole-heartedly believe this. To this day, when I smell bread (and believe me, i can smell it within a 3 mile radius), I think my eyes immediately dilate.

Great article Arts, thanks for posting!

I tell you Momo,

If I have a cookie, I am in PAIN with longing for more Cookies or bread or carbs for 3 or 4 days... Man, it is NOT worth it (to me)

What a great article! I love the part where the rats choose sugar substitute over cocaine. That right there should tell us all we know.

I wish I'd been more receptive to giving up carbs before I got sleeved. I can't help but wonder what it would have done for me.

Pssssst, hey buddy, want some cake?

RJ's, I believe the focus is on high glycemic foods... refined sugars and processed foods.

Oops!

"To this day, when I smell bread (and believe me, i can smell it within a 3 mile radius), I think my eyes immediately dilate.

My office is just down the road from an Aunt Millie's Bread Co. bakery/distribution center. Every time I walk out of the office I am assaulted by the wonderful/horrible smell of fresh baked bread. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am gluten intolerant, so I can't enjoy it either way. :)

What a great article! I totally stole it to post on FB...thanks for sharing! :)

Okay, I'll give up carbs...

Now, lets bring on the Colombian marching powder!

Devils Dandruff?

No?

Oh, okay, I'll retreat into my gut-wrenching longing for warm crusty bread, smothered in full-fat, slightly salt-crystalled butter... but I shall refrain...

and have a yoghurt :blink:

Great article, Arts. Seriously.

Carbs, are most definitely, my achilles heel..... <sobs>

Great article! Frightening...

Madame, you can still have the butter AND the salt...

(but maybe not the bread)

And I, having grown up in the 60s, admit that I HAVE reformed but I have NOT repented!!!

Okay, I'll give up carbs...

Now, lets bring on the Colombian marching powder!

Devils Dandruff?

No?

Oh, okay, I'll retreat into my gut-wrenching longing for warm crusty bread, smothered in full-fat, slightly salt-crystalled butter... but I shall refrain...

and have a yoghurt :blink:

Great article, Arts. Seriously.

Carbs, are most definitely, my achilles heel..... <sobs>

Excellent article! thanks for sharing it.

Actually we don't need to ingest any form of carbs - the body makes what it needs from fat, Protein etc. Ketones are actually the prime fuel that the body and brain prefer. yes fruits and veggies contain a plethora of micro nutrients that we don't get elsewhere - so they are great in that respect - in terms of fuel i will take lean Protein please.

Not from me - from my team of nutritionists at the surgeons office. From putting this into practice over the last few years - I tend to believe them ;)

Great read. I also agree with others on this thread about the concept of low glycemic (good) and high glycemic (not so good) carbs, even as it applies to fruit. Here is a quick link to common foods on the glycemic index: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm Try and shoot for low numbers on this index when choosing your fruit carbs. For example an apple has glycemic index 39 and a banana has 62 glycemic index . Some fruit is sneaky. For example, Water melon 72. Even though it is quite fibrousAnd stay away from fruit roll up at glycemic index 99. Carbs are essential not only for brain function, but also muscle function. The muscle may be able to derive the glucose it needs from fat and Protein, but I believe the stored glucose won't be ready soon enough for high intensity exercise. Explosive exercise like Weight lifting, Tabata and cross fit or even non explosive exercise like endurance running (after 45 min or so) needs a solid source of carbs in order to not hit the proverbial wall in the middle of the workout. I find steel oats to be an excellent source of carbs to fuel the high intensity demands of cross fit. Apple with Peanut Butter also works well. To the good-fat-as-fuel argument, BTB has said often that a source of good fat fuels his running better then carbs do. It all depends on your insulin response.

Edited by Fiddleman