Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probiotics For Constipation?

Unfortunately, Probiotics haven't helped me at all. My PCP recommended Colace as she says it's very gentle and I can take it "forever." I take 4 a day and that seems to help, although I still have problems every now and then. My gastroenterologist also told me that Colace was OK, and also gave me a prescription for Lactulose (a very mild laxative.) It was given to me in the hospital when I had gallbladder surgery and it did the trick.

I'm very concerned about Constipation post-surgery and plan to stay on the Colace and use the Lactulose as necessary. I also take Benefiber but I'm not sure if it's helping or not. Constipation is truly awful.

My doctor's office recommends Benefiber and not laxatives. I thought Probiotics were to be used to help keep the good bacteria in you GI system in balance. I have taken them in the past for this reason, but not to help with Constipation.< /p>

I have friends who swear by Smooth Move Tea. I believe it can be found at Wal-Mart. I have not tried it myself but from what they say, it is not the best tasting stuff but it does the job.

I used to use this... great stuff but tons of cramping. . Wouldn't even think of using it now

Gamegirl,

Which one caused you cramping; Benefiber or smooth move tea?

I am pre surgery and have been taking a probiotic for about six or seven months now. But I take it for all the good bacteria it puts into my system. My surgeon agrees and wants me to continue after wls. As I have increased Protein in my diet, I have needed something to help with the Constipation. I started taking Miralax and that helped considerably

Gamegirl, Which one caused you cramping; Benefiber or Smooth Move tea?

I think it was seela that said that. I don't have issues with Fiber, and smooth move is senna which I take from time to time, but that one can "over correct" the problem somewhat. I still do take it once in a while.

Gamegirl, Which one caused you cramping; Benefiber or Smooth Move tea?

I think it was seela that said that. I don't have issues with fiber, and smooth move is senna which I take from time to time, but that one can "over correct" the problem somewhat. I still do take it once in a while.

Proof, I shouldn't be posting at 4 a.m. in the morning.

Why are you up so early? I had to fly at 6 fricking am. What's your excuse?

GG -- maybe try Gelatin. My son used to have chronic Constipation, and we'd give him Jello Water to move things along. There are better sources for gelatin than Jello. We buy the Great Lakes brand from Amazon now (pic below).<br><br> <br><br> Here's a link to a fellow Protein Shake drinker who uses gelatin to combat constipation:<br><br> <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154543103&page=1'>http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154543103&page=1</a>

My friend swears by the beef gelatin and I have it in my cart on Amazon but haven't bought it yet. It's full of Protein as well and she says you just mix with food and can't taste.

My friend swears by the beef gelatin! It's full of Protein and her brother started taking it after he had an accident and had to have his esophagus repaired and stomach partially removed as a teenager. He accidentally drank some acidic Fluid thinking it was Gatorade! Anyway her whole family uses it now and they swear it does more than just help the joints. I've got some in my cart on Amazon now, just haven't checked out yet.

Gamegirl,

Which one caused you cramping; Benefiber or Smooth Move tea?

Smooth move tea.. lol.. benefiber is awesome

<br>

Well no one asked me but I was up early because I caught my daughter sneekink her boyfriend into the house. Again. Good times! (Somebody please just put me out of my misery)!

My first year post, I took a probiotic daily, but not for this reason. With the altered stomach, I felt my digestive system could use the help until it figured this whole new stomach out. I took them along with my Vitamins, Biotin and Calcium regimen. I also ate prunes daily, too, and everything moved wonderfully for me.

I think you can find natural alternatives through balanced nutrition if things aren't moving along so well. I believe it is just one of those ways your body communicates to you that it is needing something you aren't giving it.

Find what works for you.

Just FYI probiotics are not to cure or aleve Constipation. It's something you take daily to overall regulate your GI track and the good bacteria. It's not going to help to take it once in a while for constipation.

My nut told me take a probiotic every day.. Cause it so healthy for your Tummy. I would use colace for any Constipation issues.

I woke up and wasn't able to get back to sleep. I have been dragging all day. Hopefully, I get a better night of sleep tonight.

I woke up and wasn't able to get back to sleep. I have been dragging all day. Hopefully, I get a better night of sleep tonight.

I like your excuse better than mine! Lol... I removed the doors to her room and her closet! Let him sneek in now! (Evil laugh)