Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control Comes With A Weight Limit

I am sorry if you felt attacked. That was never my intent.

I think there is some misinformation in this thread, though. You can never be sure if Plan B "worked" or if you just were not pregnant in the first place. You have to take it within a very short period of time from the sexual encounter, before an egg would have implanted. It actually prevents the egg from implanting, hence you would never actually be pregnant. The chances of a given sexual encounter resulting in pregnancy are far, far from 100% anyway. That's why I asked above if people knew how Plan B works. It is not an abortifactant. It is an implantation preventer.

It is a well-established fact that obese people, and especially obese women, get a lower standard of health care than healthy-weight people. Of all the people who need to be informed about studies such as the above, obese women need to be aware. This was simply my attempt to raise awareness of new research that has a big potential impact on women on these forums.

You are correct. My apologies.

This is not about Plan B (whatever that is... perhaps what we in Oz call RU486, Misty?) but it is related to getting significant dosages of HRT or the pill due to being a higher weight.

I've recently been diagnosed with 4 Liver Adenomas (benign tumours but with both pre-malignant and rupturing risk), and learnt these are being diagnosed much more nowadays due to oestrogen prescription - pill and HRT. You can google this and there's lots around.

The usual treatment is liver resection, a huge operation! As I was diagnosed with a chronic leukemia around the same time, I was far from keen to hear this... But as it turns out my adenomas are v difficult to operate on so I've gone into a "watch and wait" management mode - a relief on one level but in another way I wish all could be resolved quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing fine, but ut has been quite a shock. I was only a sporadic user of the pill and took HRT for 2 years when my ovaries were removed due to cancer in my mid 40s - not a heavy user by any means.

I always assume I'll never win a lottery - either good or bad - but I'm staring down my (possible) third cancer and it makes me very aware that this stuff really has to be thought about.

If you are taking significant amounts of oestrogen in some form, I'd suggest a very detailed chat with your doctor. I was angry with mine when she insisted I come off HRT as I approached 50, but it was probably the best thing she could have done for me.

I'm sorry for what has happened to you, SydneySusan. I want to chime in and say that for some of us, HRT IS the best choice, and everyone should speak to their doctor and maybe a second or third doctor when making choices about medications to take or stop taking.

I had uterine cancer and had a total hysterectomy at age 32. The ovaries were removed because ovarian cancer is very common in conjunction with uterine cancer, both are stimulated by hormones, and ovarian cancer is nearly impossible to detect early enough to treat effectively. My hysterectomy saved my life.

If I had allowed my body to go into menopause at 32, I would have rapidly lost bone density, skin elasticity, hair health and color. I would have aged quickly and damagingly. For this reason I will be on estrogen supplementation until at least my mid-50s (20+ years unless medical science comes up with something better). It is much healthier for me to be on estrogen than off it.

One thing to note is that non-pill forms of HRT, such as Patches, sublingual forms, or injectables, bypass the liver completely. Long term use of any digested medication is a risk to the liver. Metformin, the most common medication for type 1 diabetes, is one of the hardest medications on the liver. That is why if you are on metformin, your doctor will order regular blood tests to check your liver function.

Misty I've read several articles about this the last couple of days... Frankly it doesn't surprise me.. And why on gods green flippity earth would someone use this as a regular form of birth control? My word, it takes all kinds.... <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-27/plan-bs-problem-with-heavier-women-isnt-news-in-europe'>http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-27/plan-bs-problem-with-heavier-women-isnt-news-in-europe</a>

Sorry to hear what happened to you too Misty - 32 is definately too early to go into menopause, and it would have been really tough on your body - going from relatively high hormone levels to virtually zip overnight. I was 46 when I lost my ovaries, and that was tough enough!

Given your comment about Patches, it's worth me adding that I was on oral HRT - I never seemed to absorb anything from the patches.

As you say, always important to check things out with your doctor.

My doctor said av age of menopause is 51 and she wanted me off HRT before then... And although I didn't like it (oestrogen has sooo many good effects on our body), I did manage it without too much fuss. I cursed her at the time, but followed her advice because I knew she held strong views based on sound research. Last week I thanked her for insisting. Perhaps she had done so because I was on oral HRT rather than patches???

Good luck with your health and weight loss "adventures". With all the exercise you do I'll bet you have bones of steel! I can't take oral Calcium so keep the dairy up, although that then impacts the reflux... and on it goes.

Do you ever get to Sydney? We need to have another Sydney get together and it would be good to meet up.

I tried to get Plan B recently and the Dr would not give it to me because of my weight at that time somewhere around 225. But in years earlier they had offered it to me at even a higher weight. They offered another emergency contraceptive that I couldn't even get covered by my insurance so I was basically Shit out of luck.

I tried to get Plan B recently and the Dr would not give it to me because of my weight at that time somewhere around 225. But in years earlier they had offered it to me at even a higher weight. They offered another emergency contraceptive that I couldn't even get covered by my insurance so I was basically **** out of luck.

I'm sorry this happened but they probably didn't want to give you something that may not work at your weight. I am sure am alternative formulation is being worked on for heavier women.

I can vouch for that - but as an ex fat person, let me tell you it's been a bit of a desert since I lost weight ;-))))