Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great Article On Low-Carb/high Fat Diets

Why some doctors insist we get our Protein "from real food" puzzles me. I know they are encouraging good eating habits, but Protein shakes are nothing but a healthy Protein supplement. Just like a multi Vitamin. With a varied enough diet we wouldn't need a daily Vitamin, but no doctor would tell you not to take a multi vitamin would they? No, because they know most people do not have a varied enough diet, so they encourage the supplement. A Protein shake can be the same thing....as long as you're not too dependent on them all the time, they are a healthy and convenient nutritional aid.

Little miss muffit had it goin on when she was eating her curds & whey. We do too when we drink our whey.< /p>

If milk is considered "real food" (there is some debate if it really is people food) then Protein Shakes are real food.

Ugh. I continually worry about the fact that I can easily hold more than that. I see these threads that say "You should only be able to hold 1/4 cup" and it freaks me out. I can do 1/2 cup easily (not more, but still.)

Oh well. I'd be worried about something regardless.

Just to reassure....my sleeve has always held more than people say. But it never impeded my weight loss apparently. Why? Because even though it will hold 12 oz doesn't mean I have to eat 12oz. I don't pack it full (usually). I weigh and measure, and learn to eat smaller portions. They leave me feeling not hungry, which is the goal....never full.

And 18 months post op.....I still have a Protein shake most days. I like them. They are my chocolate milk substitute. They are easy and convenient right after a hard workout. They are nutritionally sound. Why some doctors insist we get our Protein "from real food" puzzles me. I know they are encouraging good eating habits, but protein shakes are nothing but a healthy protein supplement. Just like a multi Vitamin. With a varied enough diet we wouldn't need a daily Vitamin, but no doctor would tell you not to take a multi vitamin would they? No, because they know most people do not have a varied enough diet, so they encourage the supplement. A Protein Shake can be the same thing....as long as you're not too dependent on them all the time, they are a healthy and convenient nutritional aid.

The only explanation I can think of for this is protein thermogenesis. We burn a lot more calories to break down and digest protein than we do carbs. Perhaps we expend even a little bit more if the protein isn't pre-processed into powder? I can see how digesting a chicken breast makes my body have to work harder than digesting a shake.< /p>

I also wonder if some of it is because you can add all kinds of carp to a shake--fruit, Peanut Butter, more fruit and before you know it, you're holding a carb bomb in your hand but you tell yourself you're drinking protein.

Don't look at me like that! I'm not saying I did that! I had a friend who....

The only explanation I can think of for this is Protein thermogenesis. We burn a lot more calories to break down and digest Protein than we do carbs. Perhaps we expend even a little bit more if the protein isn't pre-processed into powder? I can see how digesting a chicken breast makes my body have to work harder than digesting a shake. I also wonder if some of it is because you can add all kinds of carp to a shake--fruit, Peanut Butter, more fruit and before you know it, you're holding a carb bomb in your hand but you tell yourself you're drinking protein. Don't look at me like that! I'm not saying I did that! I had a friend who....

You are not joking about that. I have a harder time finding shake mixes with a good balance of calories and carbs here in Australia (you are so lucky in the US to have such a huge (pun intended) market for bariatric products), so I started looking to see if I could find recipes to use WPI and make my own shakes. Well it turns out that lots of people's idea of a healthy Protein Shake has 500+ calories for like 10 grams of protein!?

I did find a brand of shakes I can tolerate for 170 calories and 30 grams carbs and not super expensive (called Musashi High Protein) so I am super happy about that!

Yes, I use the Premier RTDs almost exclusively now because prior to surgery I was a huge violator of "Oh, I'll toss in a banana, some strawberries, Peanut Butter, maybe some raw coconut…"

One and done. I need to "keep it simple, stupid" for my own sake.

One of the problems with too much Protein is the body can convert it into glucose/sugar and then there is an insulin response to Protein. The right amount of protein AND some of the fat along with it will be proven to be healthiest for us human beings.

When I ate 100% meat for quite some time I was eating 2-3lbs of beef per day. I did not gain, I did not lose and I felt great.

I can say if I did massive hits of protein it would effect my blood sugars.

The only explanation I can think of for this is protein thermogenesis. We burn a lot more calories to break down and digest protein than we do carbs. Perhaps we expend even a little bit more if the protein isn't pre-processed into powder? I can see how digesting a chicken breast makes my body have to work harder than digesting a shake.

Edited by bearman99

Yes, I use the Premier RTDs almost exclusively now because prior to surgery I was a huge violator of "Oh, I'll toss in a banana, some strawberries, Peanut Butter, maybe some raw coconut…"

One and done. I need to "keep it simple, stupid" for my own sake.

What's funny about this is that you would never have thought, even pre-sleeve, that you needed a glass of milk, Protein powder, one banana, half a cup of strawberries and a tablespoon or two of Peanut Butter for a "light" Breakfast right? but in a shake? No worries!

We too would throw it into a shake and somehow the connection of "omg you just ate half an apple, a banana and and and" never was made.

I SMH at the old me now.

One of the problems with too much Protein is the body can convert it into glucose/sugar and then there is an insulin response to Protein. The right amount of protein AND some of the fat along with it will be proven to be healthiest for us human beings.

When I ate 100% meat for quite some time I was eating 2-3lbs of beef per day. I did not gain, I did not lose and I felt great.

I can say if I did massive hits of protein it would effect my blood sugars.

The only explanation I can think of for this is protein thermogenesis. We burn a lot more calories to break down and digest protein than we do carbs. Perhaps we expend even a little bit more if the protein isn't pre-processed into powder? I can see how digesting a chicken breast makes my body have to work harder than digesting a shake.

You make some very good points. I agree, the fat helps with satiety and also in inducing ketosis from what I understand, since the body has to use the fat rather than carbs etc. But you are also correct in that excess of anything will have the same fat storing response, no matter that it was quality protein.

Complicated stuff, our bodies :)

I finally finished GCBC and immediately started Why We Get Fat. My husband us going to read the second one too. He has never really shared my obsession with nutrition science and diets but he did have a physical this week and the doctor wants him to lose 15 kg. He has already lost 10 kg previous to the physical by dramatically increasing his exercise over the last several months, but I think he has been surprised not to lose more. He did couch to 5k and has kept up his running ( now doing a 10k training plan 3x a week) along with cycling three days a week. I think he thought that would be all he would need and he is a bit shocked it isn't. I hope he gets some info out of the book because he would not welcome any feedback from his wife on his diet!

Thanks for the interesting read GG, it's nice to see the science behind what I know for a fact- when I eat carbs I gain weight very easily, when I stick to Proteins and veggies I lose weight. See, I am my own scientific study!

Thanks for the interesting read GG, it's nice to see the science behind what I know for a fact- when I eat carbs I gain weight very easily, when I stick to Proteins and veggies I lose weight. See, I am my own scientific study!

The perfect kind! I also feel a lot better when I eat fewer carbs. Less hunger, less bloated, and more energy. It's hard to argue against all that isn't it?

I finally finished GCBC and immediately started Why We Get Fat. My husband us going to read the second one too. He has never really shared my obsession with nutrition science and diets but he did have a physical this week and the doctor wants him to lose 15 kg. He has already lost 10 kg previous to the physical by dramatically increasing his exercise over the last several months, but I think he has been surprised not to lose more. He did couch to 5k and has kept up his running ( now doing a 10k training plan 3x a week) along with cycling three days a week. I think he thought that would be all he would need and he is a bit shocked it isn't. I hope he gets some info out of the book because he would not welcome any feedback from his wife on his diet!

Were there any huge surprises beyond what we already know about carbs, insulin, fat retention?

Were there any huge surprises beyond what we already know about carbs, insulin, fat retention?

Nope it just explains them well. I was a little surprised he is not particularly anti-HFCs, just equates it to sugar. I'm glad because I don't buy that it is any more evil than sugar. People look for bogeymen everywhere. Fwiw we don't use much corn Syrup in Australia. It's all cane sugar and yet we get fat too!

Gary Taubes has taught me to eat ore fat too and by my blood sugars I can see it's working. I've been losing weight all along with high Protein high fat limited Carbs. I could never read his book to deep fore but love the lectures.

Sorry steamywindows, I deleted the post you just made, it was a quote of the extremely long post made by Gamegirl early on, but it had no response and lots of code showing up mixed in... hope you don't mind....

Sorry steamywindows, I deleted the post you just made, it was a quote of the extremely long post made by Gamegirl early on, but it had no response and lots of code showing up mixed in... hope you don't mind....

Not at all! I had some sort of random act of posting issue, I hit the reply button and it froze. Thanks for deleting. I was trying going to say thanks, I really appreciated the post. A few years ago I went to a national obesity summit, and was intrigued by a presentation from a researcher from the states who had looked into the economics issues...both taxes and subsidies and made the point that years ago, (perhaps in Reagan's era) when corn producers were over producing the market, the government introduced subsidies, thus the food industry got a very very very cheap, readily available source of corn Syrup which of course as you know has found it way into nearly all processed foods...ugh. What goes on behind the closed doors of our benevolent governments eh? Good for economics, bad for population health!

Edited by Steamywindows