Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. In My Area No Longer Does Lapband. Ugh!

We're not arguing about the band... just trying to correct misinformation about the sleeve. It's one of the complications of this newly integrated site. I originally read the post because the title suggested there would be talk of other surgeries than band.

Why would someone who doesn't have a band or plan on getting a band come to the lap band forums and argue with people?

I'm a member of this forum just like you. I did not come here to bash the band, only to correct all the misinformation nana keeps spreading about the sleeve. I do not need to be banded to post here or to share my experience. The day I make up phony information about the lapband please come to the sleeve forum and call BS on me.

I didn't say you were arguing about the band. Why are you over here arguing period?

I'm a member of this forum just like you. I did not come here to bash the band, only to correct all the misinformation nana keeps spreading about the sleeve. I do not need to be banded to post here or to share my experience. The day I make up phony information about the lapband please come to the sleeve forum and call BS on me.

I am not posting misinformation, if someone IS interested in the Sleeve they can just go to any seminar or ask their surgeon if they have staples or not, it's just that simple.

This is a lap band forum and you are talking/arguing about the sleeve. Maybe the rest of us don't want you mucking up our lap band boards with your crap.

Correct. My surgeon does not use staples. I also do not have "rapid emptying of the stomach." My stomach functions exactly like any normal stomach. It's simply smaller.

Butter,

If you are going to post on the Lap band forum, please come in peace WITH accurate information. Can you please share a study of how YOUR Sleeve was performed WITHOUT staples?

SAGES, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, which MOST TOP credible US surgeons are a member, of including this link below of demonstrating system review of staple line reinforcement of the Sleeve, if the Sleeve did not have staples, why would many surgeons have issues with staple line breaks?

http://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archive/a-systematic-review-of-staple-line-reinforcement-during-laparoscopic-sleeve-gastrectomy/

Hello...

http://www.nationalbariatriclink.org/bariatric-blog/tag/gastric-dumping-syndrome/

Here are other links and studies on Sleeve and Bypass Hypoglycemia issues long term..

Hypoglycemia in Gastric Sleeve and Bypass patient clinical trial study

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01581801

Sleeve Dumping syndrome and hypoglycemia

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22773085

Hope this helps you.

I see what your problem is now. You don't live in the real world. You are the type that believes there needs to be a scientific study to prove the earth is round and the Water is blue.....otherwise it just isn't true. Scientific studies are great, except they rarely have enough real world variability or significance due to lack of resources, time, money, controllability....so on. I married a doctor who does full time research so I hear about it all the time. You posted 3 links. 1 was a cartoon which said ALL sleevers get dumping. Haha...nice cartoon but from what orifice did they pull this information? The 2nd study has no results, therefore it has no value....none. The 3rd showed that 33% of 25 patients had dumping symptoms after 12 months. Not a much of a study. Certainly not enough to call it a golden fact, however even if it is the norm....dumping can easily be averted by compliance with post op eating protocols which is of course a requirement with all WLS.

Lastly, I have no scientific study showing may lack of sutures. Nor do I I have one showing my weight loss or the results of my TT or my bald head. But they are real just the same. But bless your heart you seem to need studies or else everyone is wrong. Why don't you instead go to the sleeve forum and do some inquiries? Ask for some real world experience. Or better yet....just quit spreading misinformation about the sleeve.

That article only refers to 'leaks', not the reasons for the leaks. Nor does it refer to the number of surgeons impacted... we don't know what caused the leaks (staples or other issues), whether patient behaviour played a role or not, or whether the leaks were spread across many surgeons or a relative few.

I'm really not sure why you are so keen on making people anxious about staples and staple lines. What is your concern? What are you trying to achieve? Staple use is widespread - well beyond bariatric surgery - and widely accepted.

That article only refers to 'leaks', not the reasons for the leaks. Nor does it refer to the number of surgeons impacted... we don't know what caused the leaks (staples or other issues), whether patient behaviour played a role or not, or whether the leaks were spread across many surgeons or a relative few.

I'm really not sure why you are so keen on making people anxious about staples and staple lines. What is your concern? What are you trying to achieve? Staple use is widespread - well beyond bariatric surgery - and widely accepted.

She seems convinced her sister's complications are due to the staples, but not sure why. Perhaps a doctor told them so....but again how could he be certain. Still I doubt the staples used 30 years ago are the same staples used now....nor is the technique the same which makes a huge difference. But again, I have no scientific study backing that up so I'm probably wrong.

I do have staples in my arm...and screws. But as if yet they have caused no dumping.

I see what your problem is now. You don't live in the real world. You are the type that believes there needs to be a scientific study to prove the earth is round and the Water is blue.....otherwise it just isn't true. Scientific studies are great, except they rarely have enough real world variability or significance due to lack of resources, time, money, controllability....so on. I married a doctor who does full time research so I hear about it all the time. You posted 3 links. 1 was a cartoon which said ALL sleevers get dumping. Haha...nice cartoon but from what orifice did they pull this information? The 2nd study has no results, therefore it has no value....none. The 3rd showed that 33% of 25 patients had dumping symptoms after 12 months. Not a much of a study. Certainly not enough to call it a golden fact, however even if it is the norm....dumping can easily be averted by compliance with post op eating protocols which is of course a requirement with all WLS.

Lastly, I have no scientific study showing may lack of sutures. Nor do I I have one showing my weight loss or the results of my TT or my bald head. But they are real just the same. But bless your heart you seem to need studies or else everyone is wrong. Why don't you instead go to the sleeve forum and do some inquiries? Ask for some real world experience. Or better yet....just quit spreading misinformation about the sleeve.

Oi! Butter, I like academic studies and journals and all things cerebrally interesting! :blink:

Oi! Butter, I like academic studies and journals and all things cerebrally interesting! :blink:

I think they have their place, but so does real world experience. I also believe that not everything has been studied objectively, if at all, and therefore we must sometimes base decisions on other criteria.

Of course I'm corrupted by living with a researcher.....who like nana....needs a scientific study to account for everything, but at the same time bemoans the lack of integrity and real world validity of most studies....due to the fact that often the studies are either lacking enough control or have too much, negating out real world variability. I could go on and on....like I said, I come home to it every night. My job is to listen to her frustrations without allowing my eyes to glaze over too much.

My favorite story was how her colleague wrote a grant proposal asking for government funding to explore the correlation between drinking cow's milk and cancer. After all, over 90% of all cancer patients have drank cow's milk....therefore the milk must cause cancer. I'm not sure if his grant got funded.

I agree with you. Real world experience is entirely valid. I wouldn't be on this website, if I thought I could glean everything I'd like to know from research papers alone.

That being said, they're often very handy in crystalizing chains of thought - which is often very much required on this website.

I proffer in order for people to do their own analysis and deduce their own reality.

And lo! How scary that reality can be sometimes!

Im a self pay lap band patient the cost was 10k and i get 12 fills included in that price.

Hopefully i wont need to use them all to finally find the green zone.

After the 12 adjustments Ive found that the prices vary from 165-220 in my area depending on whether or not any xrays are taken.

My post regarding out of pocket lap band pay & fills was in response to the post made on the first page of this topic. Im. sure ive screwed up the quote:

Being self paid I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford fills. Idk NaNa, I have to think of any WLS super hard. I'm scared and nervous, but I'm still doing research. Thanks!