Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. in Calgary

The Weight Wise program does both LAP-Band and Gastric Bypass and is the only one in Alberta to do either laprascopically. That's why I'm going up there all the time. I'm only 33 and don't want to look like I've had open heart surgery at this age. I might actually want to wear a bikini some day! LOL! :eyebrows:

So it sounds like you are in for the Lapband then?

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I'm getting banded in Dec at TLBC by Dr. Yau. Did you go there? If so, How was it? I'm nervous, yet excited for a new life. Do you know who to go to for fills in Calgary?

Twigs

I'm sorry, but GOOD GAWD, why aren't you figuring these things out BEFORE you decide to get banded?

What if there is no one in Calgary who does fills?!

Andrew went to Dr. Cobourn (as you can see from his signature), and some of the people who do fills only do them on Dr. Cobourn patients (because Dr. C trained them for his own patients).

I got banded in Calgary on September 25, 2007 through the Weight Management Clinic (paid for by Alberta Health).

I was first referred to the clinic in May of 2006, but did not get invited to attend (i.e. get thru the waitlist) the actual clinic until October of 2006. From there I attended the mandatory classes, saw the dietician, attended supplementary workshops, have been seeing one of the psychologists regularly and had the surugery.

I waited just under a year after I got into the clinic to get banded, but I would suspect that the wait will just keep getting longer as the program gets publicity.

There are four doctors associated with the Calgary clinic. In addition to the two mentioned by Andrew, there is a Dr. Church and one other, who I have not met. All of the doctors are also general surgeons, so the lap band surgery is only a small part of their practice.

I understand that Calgary got approval to do 100 lap bands this year (however I am not sure when that year starts and ends - I don't think it is from January on and I know that I am one of the 100).

I know my dr. has said that they will not likely be able to 100 surgeries, just because there is a lot of work and support needed and they don't have the resources.

I know the wait is long, and I know I have to count myself very lucky, but I have to say that I have been very happy with the experience and ongoing care that I have received.

I had a significant complication after the surgery (triggered by the surgery, but not lap band related, rather about one of my other health issues) that landed me in the hospital for almost 2 weeks, and Dr. DesCoteaux saw me thru the entire ordeal. I am not sure what would have happened if I had had my surgery elsewhere.

I have heard from others though that they have been very happy about the care they have receive through the other clinics in Canada and elsewhere.

If you are considering the surgery, I would suggest that you get your family dr. to refer you to the Weight Management Clinic in Calgary (currently located at the old Colonel Belcher, eventually to move into the old Children's Hospital location) as soon as possible. even while you research your other options (you can always say no thanks when your turn comes).

Good Luck :bounce:

I will be going back to Toronto for my fills. I just thought if there was someone good in Calgary, that might be easier. I don't mind travelling to Toronto though. I'd rather go there and deal with whoever did my surgery in the first place. Plus the fills are included in the price. Were you banded in Calgary?

Thanks for your info. I now know of 2 doctors who will do fills in Calgary...I heard Dr. DesCouteaux is one of them. I heard he is a very good doctor. Sorry to hear of your complications. I hope you are better. That is my worst fear too. I am so ready for my surgery in the next few weeks and looking forward to a better, healthier life! All the best!

I really like Dr. DesCoteaux. He also did a previous surgery for me as well (not lap band related). He is very "unsurgeony" in that he will take the time to listen and is quite supportive. As with any Dr., you need to be prepared on what to ask when you see him.

He is new to lap band surgery, so he can't claim to have done thousands (or even 100), but as far as my surgery and ongoing treatment, he has been great and I don't have any concerns about his skill as a surgeon. Because of other, complicated medical history, he asked for a second opinion before the surgery and so I also saw Dr. Church, who I quite liked as well.

I have heard that Dr. DesCoteaux does fills for others who haven't had the lapband surgery through the CHR, but I don't know if Dr. Church does. Currently all lap band surgeries are done through the Peter Lougheed.

At this time you are required to stay over night in hospital (they seem to be keeping people overnight in the day surgery unit - not the most pleasant because you don't get a room and many of lights are left on overnight, but I was sure glad to have a hospital bed and not to have to try to get up the first night from laying flat on the bed :girl_hug:). The next morning they do the Fluoroscope x-ray, then you see the Dr., then you go home.

Calgary does require the pre-surgery 2 week optifast/ non starchy vegetable diet and they also provide diet guidelines for all stages post surgery. From what I have read on this forum, the guidelines are pretty conservative and fit in with many other clinics. My understanding is that you won't get a fill for at least six weeks post surgery and I believe the CHR is only using the 10 cc inamed band (although I could be wrong about that).

Hi JJSmiles,

I'm in the prosess of thinking of the procedure and wanted to know who did your surgery and if you can reccomend anyone.. I'm in Saskatchewan.

Thanks.

BGP

Hi Andrew

I'm getting banded in Dec at TLBC by Dr. Yau. Did you go there? If so, How was it? I'm nervous, yet excited for a new life. Do you know who to go to for fills in Calgary?

Twigs

I was done by Dr. Coburn, but there are plenty of people that were doen by the TLBC & Dr. Yau here.

I have the info for the 3 Docs that will do the fills in Calgary. Dr. Botha who does my fills will only do Coburn patients, kinda as a favour, but Dr. Mitchell & Dr. Descoutoeux will do them irregardless of who did you band .

I will be going back to Toronto for my fills. I just thought if there was someone good in Calgary, that might be easier. I don't mind travelling to Toronto though. I'd rather go there and deal with whoever did my surgery in the first place. Plus the fills are included in the price. Were you banded in Calgary?

I was banded by Dr. Coburn in Missasauga Ont.

I think that coming to Calgary would be easier & cheaper. Is there no one in Edmonton that will do fills?

There is not much point in flying back to TO when you need a fill & besides if you are too filled you could be SOL. A fill in Calgary is $125 at the most plus the drive. Flying to TO for free fills at $500 per flight is too pricey for me. I'll pay for mine in Calgary.

Andrew

Hi BGP

My surgery was done by Dr. DesCoteaux (see my previous entries on this thread).

I don't think you can access him or the surgery in Calgary from Saskatchewan, since the service in Calgary is covered under Alberta Health Care and is specifically part of the CHR's Weight Management Clinic (i.e. you can not pay for this service at this time).

I may be wrong about this, but I have a feeling that at this time, only Albertan's, and in particular, Calgarians, would qualify for the service.

Hi Andrew, What process did you follow to claim $1036 from AB Health? I spoke to them the other day and became very frustrated. Was told to send in my receipts, but they'd only give me $50 for the surgeon's time. There's got to be more to it than just $50?? Did you have special forms to complete? A note from Dr. C? Any info you have to share is most appreciated. By the way, was banded Nov 22/07 by Dr. Mumford. Those folks out there are amazing. Appreciate your help, once again, Andrew....

Hi Andrew, What process did you follow to claim $1036 from AB Health? I spoke to them the other day and became very frustrated. Was told to send in my receipts, but they'd only give me $50 for the surgeon's time. There's got to be more to it than just $50?? Did you have special forms to complete? A note from Dr. C? Any info you have to share is most appreciated. By the way, was banded Nov 22/07 by Dr. Mumford. Those folks out there are amazing. Appreciate your help, once again, Andrew....

I will send you a PM with the forms and the fax number. AHC recently redid thier web site and the form is no longer there so I have to track a recent one down.

Talk to Rose at the clinic & tell her that you need a detailed billing to submit to AB Health Care. She will know what you are talking about and she will either send you a hard copy or email you a pdf. Once you get the form from me, there is a section that Dr. Mumford needs to fill out, but it is not a big deal. Dr. Coburn did mine no problem. You have to fill out the rest.

Take the detailed receipt from Rose, the form filled out by you & Dr. Mumford, and a copy of the invoice you got from the clinic and fax it to AHC. Mine took about 6 weeks to come back.

I am also in the process of trying to get about $1200 back from Blue Cross from my health spending account so if you have one of those you may want to look into that as well.

Andrew

I don't know if the weight management clinic in Calgary will sell it to non-patients, but I bought mine through the clinic - 943-2611.

I have seen other people on other sites refer to slim fast, low carb/ high Protein shakes. You might also want to look at some of the Protein Shakes, sold through health food stores and see if you can find one that is comparable to Optifast, although I think the reason that dr's ask for Optifast is that is meets all your nutritional needs.

In each pkg of optifast you get 225 calories, 22.5 g Protein, 7.5 g fat, 2 g Linoleic acid, 0.5 g of Linolenic acid, 16.8 g carbohydrates, 16.8 g of aspartame, 500 of sodium, 750 of potassium and a whole wack of Vitamins and minerals.

I would recommend you contact your clinic in Mexico and ask for their advice on what to do.

Have you made arrangements for a fill Dr. here in Canada? I would strongly advise you to make ongoing arrangements for who will be doing your fills BEFORE you go to Mexico.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the info.I did find a Dr to do my fills Dr Mitchell at Peter Lougheed Hospital Calgary for $120 a fill.

I just stayed on Slimfst for my preop which worked.I was banded Feb 11th and had a good experience.

Nicole

P.S. I didn't reply before as I'm not computer minded and couldn't find the thread.