Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Addiction rearing its ugly head

Im frustrated and mad at myself! I quit smoking back in May. I did this because I was sick of the consequences of being a smoker. It was also ruining my relationship with my husband, and I didn't want my son to think smoking was ok.

I held strong and didn't even look back. Until 2 weeks ago...I was literally dreaming about smoking, then came the cravings. Well, 2 days ago I broke my non smoking streak. I of course am completely hooked already. I started Wellbutrin this morning, and hoping that will help the cravings....but I fear it's cross addiction. Im raising the white flag. I've never been a fan of shrinks...but at this point I don't know what to do. Im calling my ins. on my lunch hour. Im praying there is an addictionologist that I would be covered to see. Anyone else struggling with cross addiction?

Yes, food and alcohol. Alcohol not a problem in terms of overt drunkeness, but certainly contributed to my weight problems. I am in the process of interviewing some therapists right now. I realize that this was the missing piece of the puzzle during my medically supervised weight loss 3-4 years ago.

Bless you. I feel for you. I'm a former smoker. I quit cold turkey the day I started having trouble breathing a rushed to hospital. Diagnosis: COPD. Trust me, you want to quit before ths diagnosis. I wish I had quit earlier. It has been almost a year and there are times I still want to smoke. I don't. I'm convinced I will die if I take up smoking again. please get all the help you can. Have you tried Chantix, nicotine Patches. I will pray for you. I know your pain.....but please stop before you know my pain of COPD.

I really hated to see this post :( I quit smoking 2 years ago because my son was diagnosed with asthma. Although I didn't not directly smoke in the same room as him or around him, the smoke was on my clothes and was affecting his breathing when he hugged me! I had no idea that could affect him just being on my clothes. I threw the cigarettes straight in the trash on the way home from the doctor and stopped and bought a electronic cigarette and used it for one month. Let me tell you it helped a lot! It was more the habit than anything. Every time I felt like I wanted to smoke, I took a few puffs off of it. I loved smoking and honestly would still be smoking today had it not been for my son. I knew all of the affects on my own health that it had but I just didn't care. I am so incredibly glad I quit and wish I had done it long before. I was 27 when I quit and had smoked since I was 13 years old! I really hope you kick this addiction in the rear! Good luck! P.S My cross addiction has been shopping!

When I decided to have sleeve surgery, I knew I would be required to quit smoking by my insurance company. I quit back in March with a combination of Chantix & a nicotine vape. I only used the vape for a couple of months & by then the cravings & habit had been broken. Good luck to you!

I think that I am struggling as well. I live with depression and anxiety and see a shrink and a counselor. I also struggle with chronic low back pain. Unfortunately, pain meds are too much of a temptation for me, so I try to avoid using them, but just had a back procedure. Going through the weaning off/withdrawal process now and feeling pretty miserable this week. Anxiety is through the roof. I'm going to try and add meditation because everything I've researched states it can really impact the above issues in a positive way. My hubby just had gastric bypass surgery and is rockin' it. I'm so happy for him, but feeling intimidated as well because he doesn't have the same issues...

Julez,

I hear ya loud and clear. I have been weaning off of a medication (buprenorphine) that was suppose to help me with withdrawals from painkillers. The withdrawals from this medicine is actually WORSE than the original withdrawals from the painkillers. It's been a terrible battle that has caused much anxiety and depression in my life.

I struggle with PTSD and always feel the need to medicate myself (food, substances, shopping, etc) when triggers or flashbacks occur. It's much easier to grab pills, a cigarette, or a bowl of ice cream during these instances and I have to constantly remind myself of the repercussions down the road.

It seems like other people have it a lot easier. I'm sure that's not true, but sometimes it seems like an everyday battle. Great job on your weight loss and remember that you are not alone.

I am a past smoker. It's been almost ten years, and after having surgery two years ago, I would get cravings or thoughts about smoking out of the blue. Since I've been a no smoker for so long, I've been able to control them, but just barely. When I quit I used nicotine gum, that may be helpful for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App