Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Me About the Psychological Testing

It apperars as though there are a variety of ways they "evaluate" individuals. I have not yet heard of any patient being refused,delay, failed or denied surgery, based on psy. eval. Has anyone heard of delay or denial?

(I did wonder though, if anyone could fail it would be me--I have a full past) I was given my surgery date 4-2-2007 so I guess all is good!

I am new here and am considering the lapband. I have an appointment to see the doctor on the 26th, but have pretty much decided that this is what I want to do. My insurance will cover the procedure, but I need to have psychological testing to determine if I will be compliant.....it seems to be a requirement for all prior to surgery. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Is this a "hard test" to pass?

If you have your own psychiatrist he can write a letter of approval to your surgeon like mine did.

Has anyone been seeing a therapist before they decided to get the surgery and was that dr considered for your psych exam????

Goldthimble

I've been in therapy for a long time. Just so happens that my therapist does the final clearance for all my surgeon's patients. He would not do mine as a matter of ethics and I agreed with that. I was evaluated by others in his practice with only minimal input from him. I do know that he regularly denies clearance to anyone who he feels is not equipped to handle the emotional eating factor, one of the reasons for the hours of testing, I guess. They will re-evaluate after 6 months if they turn someone down. The surgeon said I could just get a letter from the therapist, but therapist did not agree and insisted on the eval. I think in retrospect, that I'm glad they take it so seriously, because I don't want to make the wrong decision. Anyway, on to the endoscopy, had my updated sleep study last night. Then in April I should get my surgery date! I'm slowly getting more comfortable with this decision....

When I went through my psychological testing, the psych. said that I show a mild to moderate tendency to be non-compliant.

The only thing that changed things for me is he put me on a "diet" and made me come in 3 weeks in a row with a diet log showing that I had complied. This was enough to show that I would comply with what is asked of me after the surgery. He released me for surgery after the second week of compliance.

It was really no big deal.

Good luck!:(

I have some worries about the psych stuff -- not so much the MMPI. That sounds sort of fun! I have Bipolar 2 (more depression, and the mania is not very high, just very busy). I am on medication, doing well, thank you, and in therapy. I have fully disclosed this to the program coordinator and the counselor (my first appt w/ the coordinator is in a could hours, the MMPI on Thursday, with the psychologist the following Thursday). I just worry that someone may think that my Bipolar might be an issue (it wouldn't be -- really!) Anyone else have similar worries?

Bec

I have some worries about the psych stuff -- not so much the MMPI. That sounds sort of fun! I have Bipolar 2 (more depression, and the mania is not very high, just very busy). I am on medication, doing well, thank you, and in therapy. I have fully disclosed this to the program coordinator and the counselor (my first appt w/ the coordinator is in a could hours, the MMPI on Thursday, with the psychologist the following Thursday). I just worry that someone may think that my Bipolar might be an issue (it wouldn't be -- really!) Anyone else have similar worries?

Bec

I did not have the same worries, however I have a cousin (lives in PA) who was dignosed with Bipolar and she had no problem getting approved for the Bypass surgery. She had the surgery a couple of years ago and still has her ups and downs. She was recently admitted for inpatient treatment for depression. During this they served popcorn and she ate it needless to say she wound up hospitalized for a few days. :rolleyes

Anyway I would think that being Bipolar is not necessarily a reason for denial. I hope this helps.

I did not have the same worries, however I have a cousin (lives in PA) who was dignosed with Bipolar and she had no problem getting approved for the Bypass surgery. She had the surgery a couple of years ago and still has her ups and downs. She was recently admitted for inpatient treatment for depression. During this they served popcorn and she ate it needless to say she wound up hospitalized for a few days. :rolleyes

Anyway I would think that being Bipolar is not necessarily a reason for denial. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! I got some great reassurance from the program coordinator today too. She said that they psych stuff is just to ensure that you have realistic goals about the surgery and weight loss. She is sure that I will pass the psych eval without troubles. :)

MMPI is in 3 days!!

Bec

Good luck greyhounder-I worried about my psy. eval. also(stuff from the past) but all is well and I'm set for 4-2-07 you'll be fine!

I've been in therapy for a long time. Just so happens that my therapist does the final clearance for all my surgeon's patients. He would not do mine as a matter of ethics and I agreed with that. I was evaluated by others in his practice with only minimal input from him. I do know that he regularly denies clearance to anyone who he feels is not equipped to handle the emotional eating factor, one of the reasons for the hours of testing, I guess. They will re-evaluate after 6 months if they turn someone down. The surgeon said I could just get a letter from the therapist, but therapist did not agree and insisted on the eval. I think in retrospect, that I'm glad they take it so seriously, because I don't want to make the wrong decision. Anyway, on to the endoscopy, had my updated sleep study last night. Then in April I should get my surgery date! I'm slowly getting more comfortable with this decision....

Soulful Gramma

A good friend of mine had surgey 6 weeks ago with Dr Pohl. We were banded on the same day. She's on the board regularly and she is an amazing woman. She would be great for you to talk to. Check out Gigi8!

If you click on her name you will see all previous posts and how to email her directly.

Tell her Kim says Hi!

Kim :kiss2:

223ps/217s/203t/135g

banded 1/30/07

first fill 3/09/07

banded 1/30/07

Good luck greyhounder-I worried about my psy. eval. also(stuff from the past) but all is well and I'm set for 4-2-07 you'll be fine!

Thanks for the support! Tomorrow is the Day!!!

Bec

Kim - thanks so much, I'll look up Gigi8.

Bec - you'll do just fine, I know it. We're pulling for you! And so are your Psy testers - they want you to have your health and as much joy out of life as possible.

The key to the psych eval it to let them know you know the sugery is just a "tool". You have to tell them you are willing to work at the eating and exercise and you know it will just help you with all that. That is why my friend had failed hers the first time. I passed mine.