Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve doubles in size after 1 year?

I am scheduled to be sleeved in 2 weeks. I just read on another forum that the sleeve doubles in size after 1 year? Does anyone know if this is an accurate statement? Although I assume the overall volume would still pale in comparison to my stomach volume right now, doubling in size sounds a little scary in respect to regain. I've not heard this before.

I'm am pre op & have been to many surgeon information sessions for the sleeve & have not heard them mentioned that at all.

I have never heard that an I asked my surgeon questions pre-op that would have revealed that if he thought it was accurate.

God I hope so. This eating like a bird sucks.

HAHAHA! I was thinking the SAME THING!

I don't know if it doubles in size or not, but I know most sleevers (including myself) can eat more after a year than we could the first few months after surgery. But for me, it's still a lot less than I was eating before surgery, which tells me it's still a good bit smaller than it was pre-sleeve. I'll be two years post op in a couple of weeks.

After surgery very little can be eaten due to swelling. From that point to a year a doubling in capacity would be true. I do believe my ego has doubled, though. B)

The nutritionist at the hospital gave us an hour lecture on what to expect..during weight loss, after u have completed your soft diet, you will go up to 4 oz of food during your weight Loss phase.. Then on maintenance she showed what a typical person should eat..it was 8 oz.. --one cup each meal.

I hope it doesn't double in size! :-)

I agree that it pretty much doubles in size at a year. But after that, it really doesn't change much, maybe a little bit over the years. The swelling after surgery makes it where you can only eat a tiny bit for the first few months. Then you can eat a little more at about 6 months and sometimes a little more a few months after that. I have a very small sleeve, I think it was just luck of the draw that mine is so small. I either have a naturally small stomach or my surgeon made it that way. The first few months I could only eat maybe an ounce of dense food and a couple of ounces of soft food. Now at almost 2 years post op, I can eat about 2 ounces of dense Protein like chicken, steak and I can eat about 4 ounces of soft food like cottage cheese. I have been able to eat the same amount since about 7 or 8 months post op and that is all I can eat STILL one year later. So yeah, it doesn't continue to change much in size if any at all after the first year. By the end of the first year, you should be pretty darn close to being at full capacity. I've seen a few vets on other forums mention their capacity did increase a bit between years 3-5, by maybe an ounce or less depending. I would recommend getting a surgeon who does a good, tight sleeve and takes the fundus out. Don't get a surgeon who believes in leaving a large sleeve UNLESS you have reasons for wanting a larger sleeve. I know some people would prefer that so it's up to you, just think I'd rather have the safest smallest sleeve possible. Don't be freaked out if you can eat very little at first. You will be able to slowly eat more throughout the first year and then you should be done healing most of the way. Good luck and don't be afraid. The sleeve is an excellent choice. Its worked out very well for me.

I eat more than I did a few weeks post op, but I can't eat a full meal either. I love my sleeve and feeling satisfied with a few bites. All this money saved on food is being put to better use. I've got one really good looking closet ;)

I am scheduled to be sleeved in 2 weeks. I just read on another forum that the sleeve doubles in size after 1 year? Does anyone know if this is an accurate statement? Although I assume the overall volume would still pale in comparison to my stomach volume right now, doubling in size sounds a little scary in respect to regain. I've not heard this before.

It's too bad that MORE people don't ask this question. Yes you will be able to eat more after 1-2 years. If you have used the restrictive time wisely, you will have learned healthy eating habits. low fat and fat free Protein and low carb veggies should be the mainstay. If you have trained your tastebuds/brain, these will be the foods that you gravitate towards. I eat my Protein and CRAVE salads to fill up the extra space. Just be mindful of the dressing that you put on your salad.

I hope many see your question because too many people think that they can eat pizza/fries/ fried foods, etc....because there capacity is so small. But that is not the case, FOREVER!!!

I'm 3 years post-op (today!! woo hoo!) and honestly I probably CAN eat double what I could at 2 weeks post-op (which was probably an ounce or two at a time). It's a natural expansion that happens as the swelling goes down and your stomach organ settles into it's new shape, size, etc.

But I still max out at about 4oz of dense Protein. I will never again sit down and eat a 6oz, 8oz, 12oz steak...not going to happen from a physical standpoint.

Also you need to remember, just because you CAN eat more doesn't mean you SHOULD eat more. Controlling your portion sizes is basically what lies at the root of this surgery. It can't do all the work for you, as you have to be in control of your portions.

So many great responses. I guess it's hard to get around the thought of my stomach doubling in size because I compare it to now (pre op) even though I know that's the wrong thing to do. And also coming from a formally successful bandster, if I felt I could eat too much, bam! I would go get a fill. But it also really helps put into perspective that I really need to make this first year count and really get with the program so that I don't have this problem with regain again. Luckily I have pretty much stopped my Starbucks addiction because that easily was 500 calories a day, every day and sometimes twice a day!