Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Crystalsleeve - Dr Kim did my sleeve in Jan 2012. You have made a great choice with him. Th BU class covers what to expect during the pre-op and post-op. Since you have already been doing liquids, you pretty much have that down. That is one of the hardest parts. The class will help you understand what to expect right after surgery and the post-op diet you'll be on for the first 6 weeks. Take advantage of the class to ask any questions you have. They are more than happy to answer all your questions.

I think we have all had our doubts as we approach the date. I'm what is considered a light weight, less than 100lbs to lose, and so I kept trying to convince myself that I didn't need the surgery and it was too drastic. I was up very late the night before trying to talk myself out of it but I am sooooo glad i didn't. Losing weight is hard but keeping it off is even harder. The sleeve is the best tool I could have given myself in this battle to get my health back and stay healthy. Don't let fear and doubt talk you out of something that you really want.

Dr Kim also has an amazing support group that meets monthly and online. I've met so many great friends through that and they have helped to keep me inspired and motivated. I hope to see you at a support meeting soon!!

Edited by JoAnn99

I'm scheduled for my preop visit and Bariatric University class Nov 11th. What should i expect from this class or rather what did you find most helpful? I have been on liquids since 7/11. I had to lose 26 lbs before I was allowed to proceed with any of the other tests. So it will be about 4 months on liquids by the time surgery is here. I'm down 50 lbs so far. It's weird because one I got my date at the two month mark I was a little defeated. I thought about two more months on liquids and got down. For some reason I began having fears of losing to much weight before my surgery. Like that somehow meant I didn't need the surgery or something. I don't know it's hard to put my finger on it. Has anyone else gone through anything like this?

How exciting for you to be getting so close!! Was the 4 month liquid a requirement or something you self imposed? That's a really long time on liquids! Glad to know you are down 50 lbs! WAHOO!! I know my life has changed tremendously since surgery....in a very good way! lol I know you will do great!

Thank you so much. I was on liquids for 8 wks initially to lose 26 lbs but did it in 4wks. So them they didn't want me to gain so they kept me on liquids. Then when it was finally time to schedule they want 8 wks of liquids prior to surgery and Dr Kim was already booked so Dec 1st it was.

Crystal : December 1 will be here before you know it, hang in there, it will be SO worth it to get healthy. Try to look forward to this and all of the other benefits that go with WLS, being able to walk, exercise and take no medicines except the required Vitamins, such a great feeling!!!!!

Dr Kim was my surgeon as well. You are going with an expert in the field. I have had zero complications and he has a 0% leakage rate. I love the PA's and my hospital stay was really nice. The staff was fabulous.

This week presented a new challenge and a beneficial practice experience. I had to go out of town unexpectedly to be with my grandmother in the hospital. I'm a nurse so I sit by her side to help and make sure she's taken care of. Well with that i had to plan for being on shakes while in the hospital all day. I'm proud of myself because. I manage to pack my backpack every morning with my powder, shakers, and Water for the day. I may look funny but it is helping build my confidence that I can plan ahead. I know I will have to plan my meals for the test of my life in order to make the best choices and this is a baby step in that direction. On a side note, my Grandmother is everything to me and for her too see me losing weight and expressing how proud she is of my dedication and progress just means the world to me. Should this be the end of her days I'm so greatful that she saw me changing my life.