Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting Article about The Biggest Loser

http://health.usnews...e-biggest-loser

Big takeaway from the article for me was the similarity (intense weight loss with biggest loser and WLS) in regards to metabolism.

Quote from the article:

"Unfortunately, fat free mass preservation did not prevent the slowing of metabolic rate during active weight loss, which may predispose to weight regain unless the participants maintain high levels of physical activity or significant caloric restriction."

Anyway, it's an interesting read.

Edited by M2G

Good stuff girlie.

Thanks chica...

Yep. No doubt. Regardless of type of weight lost, metabolism will go down. Maintaining muscle will lessen the effect. So will increasing exercise. But no matter what you do, it simply takes less calories to haul a 150 pound body around all day than it does a 300 pound body. The good news is most 150 pounders have more energy to be more active than the typical 300lb person....thus balancing it all out.

The good news is most 150 pounders have more energy to be more active than the typical 300lb person....thus balancing it all out.

Tell that to this 150 pound body...

Tell that to this 150 pound body...

You apparently had energy enough to walk/bike 100 miles last month....plus whatever energy it takes you to fly back and forth to the emerald city everyday. That cannot be easy. :P

One of the problems I had was that I had a very low metabolism due to only eating 1 large meal a day...It went to a slow crawl.. They worked with me and now it is better then it was, but the idea of it going beck to a crawl unless I exercise in extreme..Crap...now this is another thing I will worry about....

Right now I can't sit still always on the run....Love the renewed energy...Really, really don't want to go back....yikes!

You apparently had energy enough to walk/bike 100 miles last month....plus whatever energy it takes you to fly back and forth to the emerald city everyday. That cannot be easy. :P

f**k you...

You know the fact of the matter is most of our metabolisms are screwed from years and years of yoyo dieting...

That is unless you were one of those lucky ones that were just fat always was never exercised and ate nothing but crap until surgery.. :D

My surgeon and I have had these discussions.

My metabolism is altered and don't get comfortable at any point and think you can eat like that 150 pound woman sitting next to you that never had a weight problem...

I always wondered how many of those contestants succeeded in keeping the weight off after a few years. If the author's interviews showed around 85-90% of the contestants regained some or all of their excess weight then that seems to be totally in line with the other weight loss (without surgical intervention) studies.

Guess the echo of Jillian Michaels shouting in your ear fades over time... If only it were that simple :lol:

I always wondered how many of those contestants succeeded in keeping the weight off after a few years. If the author's interviews showed around 85-90% of the contestants regained some or all of their excess weight then that seems to be totally in line with the other weight loss (without surgical intervention) studies. Guess the echo of Jillian Michaels shouting in your ear fades over time... If only it were that simple :lol:

Yes very few of them! The fact of the matter is unless you turn into a crazy exercise addict afterwards it unsustainable...

And I may have the crazy addict part down but that's about it :P

M2G, Thanks for sharing the article. The article contains some interesting points, but is lacking in a lot of detail. To me the most interesting omission was the reporting of a 500 excess calorie decline in BMR after 7 months after the show ended. To me that is totally expected and makes no comment at all regarding long term effects. Instead the study would be much more useful if it showed if the BMR increased from that dip over the next few years. I would expect that after that much weight loss that there would be some excess slowing of BMR for life even, but it really matters if the participants showed a 500 calorie slowing of BMR after 5 years, or a 100 calorie slowing of BMR after 5 years.

The fact that most participants showed a regain of most of their lost body weight is not a surprise either. In fact, I would have been surprised if it had shown that. It is a little surprising that only 85 - 90 percent of the participants showed substantial regain, since it is my understanding that most people who lose weight by dieting and exercise alone without surgery show a higher percentage of people who regain.