Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a Tummy Tuck four days ago (Halloween). Today is the first day that I feel human. This surgery makes the LabBand surgery a walk in the park, lol. I learned a few things that I would like to share (I would blog this but…..)

Day 2 was hell. Extreme pain, I couldn’t get up from sitting without assistance. I hurt from my boobs to my crotch (and have the colorful bruises to show for it). It is really important to stay on top of your pain meds.

Day 3 was better but still needed a lot of assistance. The highlight of the day was a sponge bath and hair washing (Mom helped with this).

Today, I’m human. Last night was the first night I could get out of bed without waking my husband. Pour guy felt like he had a newborn again, up every 2 hours.

So what did I learn?

My doctor did not require removal of Fluid from my band for the surgery, however FOR ME I wish I had about .2cc removed. My band has been extremely tight (borderline too tight) ever since I woke up. Yes I’m on liquids and soft foods. I had to be sure I was staying hydrated and that was difficult. On Friday I considered getting some Fluid removed but the thought of a needle going anywhere near my stomach….. I decided to manage the situation. Things are settling, I was able to eat about 1-2oz of meat last night. So with good management on my part I was able to get through the worst. In the future (if I have the option) I will remove just a little fluid.

The second thing I learned is that I have the most wonderful husband in the world. He had to step in as my nurse, emptying drains, helping me dress, picking me up (yes he can lift me – that was cool).

I will post pre & post pictures once the tummy doesn’t look like a war zone.

Being as I just had this done this past spring (and STILL get twinges of pain even now, 6 months later) reading your post made me wince. You're definitely right, a Tummy Tuck makes Lap Band (or any other surgery I've had for that matter) look like a walk in the park. I think it took close to two weeks before I was able to walk truly upright again without hunching at all.

You're also so right about having the Fluid removed. Like you, in retrospect I wished I'd had some removed. My band was so tight afterward I was afraid I'd need an emergency unfill. But, like you, I figured out how to manage because I did not want a needle anywhere near my wounded tummy.

Right now you may not feel the love for the tummy tuck, but I promise you once you're not in horrible pain anymore you'll look at your newly flat tummy and love it. Oh and just wait until you go clothes shopping!! Oh my gosh, it's addictive! LOL!

I am so glad you were able to do this. Get lots of rest, walk as much as you can handle and often, and stay on top of those pain meds for at least another week.

((hugs!))

Thanks for your post! My surgery date is December 2nd. Any other words of wisdom? Did you spend the night? When I had the band put in it was overnight and I'm glad it was. My tt surgeons scheduler said this might not even be overnight. That really surprised me to say the least. I figure if I push for it they'll let me stay. What are you wearing? Sweats, dresses? Did you have a full tt or just below the belly button? Congratulations, I hope I'm as strong as you!

Glad you made it through and are making it through , as y brother just pointed out to me that my arm skin is hanging more now that I am losing weight I had wings before now I can almost fly with them lol I am a bit scared that I might have to have p,s, surgery later but if it is or the better than I will, and someone else told me I need a push up bra so I guess all the weight I am losing there noticing , I guess that's their way of saying I am losing lol that's how I understand it in my head, I am happy for you now take care & rest& recover.

First, congrats on a successful surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery. Can't wait to see the pics (tapping Alex on the shoulder....cough cough)

I did want to share my experience so others considering Cosm. Surgery can get other opinions/experiences.

I had a Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift and Augmentation and Arm Lift on October 8th. I don't know if it's because I had 3 previous 3 C-Sections or what, but the pain was nowhere I was expecting. First couple days I needed help with most things like getting up from the couch (aka bed), cooking, and of course household chores like laundry etc. But the pain in general was manageable. Everyone from the get go said the tatas and arms would be nothing compared to the TT pain and I disagree, the arms have been the most uncomfortable but even they are manageable. By day 3 I was more mobile and was starting to get around with less assistance. By Day 7 I was wearing normal clothes and only needing assistance putting on my sports bra because my arms have limited range of motion, but I was getting out of the house for 3 hours or less. Walking for long periods was the most stressful, not because of pain but ab muscles felt tight/fatigued. By week 2 I was flying alone back to Canada, wearing regular clothes and I was able to get my own sports bra on, do my own cooking etc. I am now 2 days shy of one month and the only thing I don't do is heavy lifting (think picking up kids, picking up laundry baskets or heavy food items like milks and dog food). Now there is sensitivity and will be for many more months as the incisions continue to heal. My arms are uber sensitive and I think it's because you always use your arms, therefore they don't catch a break, even while sleeping because pressure is being put on them.

As for the band, I did not get any Fluid taken out and have had zero complications. I too transitioned with liquids to solids over 3 days to rehydrate and get my band readied. But I am SO grateful I did NOT get any taken out.

Pain tolerance, healing, acclimation/adjustment and coping ability is highly individualized so there's alot of variance in what we experience and what we can tolerate. I won't post any opinions or recommendations. Just sharing my experience as an example of how things can go a different way :)

Did you folks who had surgery stay overnight in the hospital?

Thanks for your post! My surgery date is December 2nd. Any other words of wisdom? Did you spend the night? When I had the band put in it was overnight and I'm glad it was. My tt surgeons scheduler said this might not even be overnight. That really surprised me to say the least. I figure if I push for it they'll let me stay. What are you wearing? Sweats' date=' dresses? Did you have a full tt or just below the belly button? Congratulations, I hope I'm as strong as you![/quote']

I did not stay overnight. Surgery was at 7:30am and I left the hospital at 3pm. I have to wear a crotchless corset and I have 2 drains. I had a full TT. I wear sweat pants and a shirt during the day. You definitely need someone to help on day 2. That was my worst day.

I got out of the house today, saw Last Vegas this afternoon. I laughed so hard it hurt my stomach.

Good luck to you.

First' date=' congrats on a successful surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery. Can't wait to see the pics (tapping Alex on the shoulder....cough cough)

I did want to share my experience so others considering Cosm. Surgery can get other opinions/experiences.

I had a Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift and Augmentation and Arm Lift on October 8th. I don't know if it's because I had 3 previous 3 C-Sections or what, but the pain was nowhere I was expecting. First couple days I needed help with most things like getting up from the couch (aka bed), cooking, and of course household chores like laundry etc. But the pain in general was manageable. Everyone from the get go said the tatas and arms would be nothing compared to the TT pain and I disagree, the arms have been the most uncomfortable but even they are manageable. By day 3 I was more mobile and was starting to get around with less assistance. By Day 7 I was wearing normal clothes and only needing assistance putting on my sports bra because my arms have limited range of motion, but I was getting out of the house for 3 hours or less. Walking for long periods was the most stressful, not because of pain but ab muscles felt tight/fatigued. By week 2 I was flying alone back to Canada, wearing regular clothes and I was able to get my own sports bra on, do my own cooking etc. I am now 2 days shy of one month and the only thing I don't do is heavy lifting (think picking up kids, picking up laundry baskets or heavy food items like milks and dog food). Now there is sensitivity and will be for many more months as the incisions continue to heal. My arms are uber sensitive and I think it's because you always use your arms, therefore they don't catch a break, even while sleeping because pressure is being put on them.

As for the band, I did not get any Fluid taken out and have had zero complications. I too transitioned with liquids to solids over 3 days to rehydrate and get my band readied. But I am SO grateful I did NOT get any taken out.

Pain tolerance, healing, acclimation/adjustment and coping ability is highly individualized so there's alot of variance in what we experience and what we can tolerate. I won't post any opinions or recommendations. Just sharing my experience as an example of how things can go a different way :)[/quote']

Thanks for sharing your story too. You are right everyone is different. I am not saying what others should do, I shared my story and said what I will do in the future.

How are you feeling today?

To all of u that had plastic surgery ( Tummy Tuck, arms etc). How much weight had u lost? Still

Losing or at ur goal ? Does insurance pay anything? I've only had my lapband since end of may but have lost 70 pounds and I can relate to the post if "flying with wings" my arms are driving me crazy and I know I will want to look at TT and having my arms done for sure. Feels so good to be thinner but looking at my naked body still scares the hell out of me!!!! Lol.

To all of u that had plastic surgery ( Tummy Tuck, arms etc). How much weight had u lost? Still

Losing or at ur goal ? Does insurance pay anything? I've only had my lapband since end of may but have lost 70 pounds and I can relate to the post if "flying with wings" my arms are driving me crazy and I know I will want to look at TT and having my arms done for sure. Feels so good to be thinner but looking at my naked body still scares the hell out of me!!!! Lol.

I was banded Feb 2012 and lost 80 pounds, I reached my goal Dec 2012 and have maintained for almost a year now. My insurance doesn't cover plastic surgery (didn't cover the band either) so I paid cash (approximately $7,000 for a full TT).

Did anyone get a new lower profile port after Tummy Tuck surgery? I'm just curious that might be something I would consider

I already had the lower profile port so that wasn't an issue.

How are you feeling today?

I am feeling really well. I take Tylenol during the day and a pain pill when I go to bed (I still hurt at night cause I keep trying to sleep on my side and stomach). I am walking as much as I can, even logged 5,000 steps on my fitbit yesterday. The hard part is going from standing to sitting and vise verse,

My follow up appointment is Wednesday morning, I'll post an update after that.

Thanks for asking.