Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you pay for your Gastric Plication Weight Loss Surgery?

$5500 for surgery + $1000 upgrade to Gallenia Hospital +$500 for hernia repair=$7000. It was going to cost me about $4000 with my crappy insurance, just to get my hernia fixed here in US, so I joke that I only paid $3000 for surgery.

Hubby and I spent a week at a resort, and we would have done this even if I didn't do the surgery (we do it once or twice a year anyway), so I don't count the airfare or resort into the price. Plus we have travel benefits, so technically it doesn't cost anything except taxes/fees to fly.

Blue cross ppo. It's because I had my lap band replaced and a hernia repaired.

Blue cross ppo. It's because I had my lap band replaced and a hernia repaired.

Hi have blue cross ppo and they din't pay a cent,That was because my BMI was 33 that's why i had to go to Mexico.Lucky you.

$9900. plication. $1300. for airfare, rental car, hotel. $20. Meds.

worth every penny! (still paying $350. a month to pay it off) I had $6000.00 saved, had to borrow the rest.

$12,000, plus gas and hotel for the drive there. I heard that we might be able to write it off on our taxes!??

$12,000, plus gas and hotel for the drive there. I heard that we might be able to write it off on our taxes!??

Most of the time any "cosmetic" surgery is not allowable. However, if it is medically necessary you can. Based on general accounting theory surrounding these types of surgeries though, I would say that most people would qualify (BMI, Co-morbidities, etc make it a medically necessary surgery under the IRS definition). The transportation to and from is also deductible (of course this is all only deductible if you use Schedule A and itemize on form 1040). Just note that your medical expenses will have to be more than 7.5% of Adjusted Gross Income before you can take any of them off on itemization. HTH!

Most of the time any "cosmetic" surgery is not allowable. However, if it is medically necessary you can. Based on general accounting theory surrounding these types of surgeries though, I would say that most people would qualify (BMI, Co-morbidities, etc make it a medically necessary surgery under the IRS definition). The transportation to and from is also deductible (of course this is all only deductible if you use Schedule A and itemize on form 1040). Just note that your medical expenses will have to be more than 7.5% of Adjusted Gross Income before you can take any of them off on itemization. HTH!

Thanks for this info! I will keep it and refer back at tax time.

Surgery - $9600

Pre-surgery consultation fee - $250

Bariatric Advantage Protein shake powders - $100

Pre-surgical testing (bloodwork) - $366

Total - $10,316

I did not have money saved, but did have my car paid for. I used it as collateral at the local credit union to obtain a loan. Going that route got me a great interest rate.

$6995 plus $777 for airfare for my husband and I, $80 for 1 hotel night (the other 2 nights were paid for by the clinic) plus $135 for meds. Not adding in my husband's meals in this cost.

OMG you guys are paying a lot, I got the sleeve had I wanted the plication it would have cost me 4500 with airfare (i didn't need airfare), medication, ground transportation, hotel you should consider the doctor i went to http://www.drsergioquinones.com/ and you can bring someone free of charge they just need to pay for their own airfare.

I will pay $2500 in mexico in december and im driving there and staying with family so maybe another $300 for gas its the plication the sleeve is a bit more.