Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One procedure I really want to have... (other than the band)

kyethra

And its not plastic surgery either (at least not yet! Gotta lose the weight first!)

I want to get my turbinates reduced!

I know its not major surgery, but it doesn't sound like fun. But it sounds worth it. So does anyone else have anything they want done thats not plastic surgery? Maybe get that pesky spleen removed?

At first I thought turbinate sounded like a big thing, like turbine or so large brass instrument. But its actually part of the nasal anatomy. Its on the inside of the lower outer walls of the nose if that makes sense.

I have terrible allergies. I take zyrtec in the morning. I take hydroxyzine at night. I take guiaphenex (thats sudafed plus guiaphenesine) twice a day. Astelin twice a day. Flonase- a bunch of it- in the AM and some PMs too. I can't take more stuff- I'm already taking all I can. I also get three allergy shots twice a week. And my turbinates get big and they make me stuffy! And I'm getting might sick of it.

Okay, I totally thought this was about breast reduction! LOL!

I was going, "I can't BELIEVE I didn't know that slang term! Turbinates? Whoda thunk- huh? ALLERGIES? NOSE? Ah, shucks..."

:)

Turbinates are the bones that sit under the mucus membrane of the nasal passage. They are divided into 3 sections -- upper, middle, and lower turbinates. The turbinates cause the mucus membrane in the nasal passage to be bumpy, thus increasing the surface area of the air flow and better cleansing the air before it gets to the lungs. For people with severe allergies, removal of the turbinates and the surrounding soft tissue can lessen the swelling that they experience during an allergic response. The upper turbinate area is close to the brain, so they do not remove turbinates in that area.

I've had 4 turbinoplasties and 2 turbinectomies. Don't expect it to be a miracle cure for allergies. While the actual bones won't grow back, the soft tissue can regenerate and grow. And you can develop scar tissue that will require correction. The surgery itself is not that bad, but you'll wake up feeling like someone hit you in the head with a baseball bat. That headache lasts for a good 3 weeks. Despite the turbinoplasties, turbinectomies, ethmoidectomy, and 2 septoplasties that I've had, I was still congested almost constantly. For years I was on decongestants, antihistamines, and steroids, which gave me minimal relief. I finally discovered Singulair, which has been a miracle cure for me.

I want to get my turbinates reduced!...I have terrible allergies. I take zyrtec in the morning. I take hydroxyzine at night. I take guiaphenex (thats sudafed plus guiaphenesine) twice a day. Astelin twice a day. Flonase- a bunch of it- in the AM and some PMs too. I can't take more stuff- I'm already taking all I can. I also get three allergy shots twice a week. And my turbinates get big and they make me stuffy! And I'm getting might sick of it.

Why don't you get this done now? Insurance will pay for it since you suffer from chronic allergies. As a bonus, it will kill your appetite for a few days. All the nasty drainage makes eating very unpalatable.

And its not plastic surgery either (at least not yet! Gotta lose the weight first!)

I want to get my turbinates reduced!

I know its not major surgery, but it doesn't sound like fun. But it sounds worth it. So does anyone else have anything they want done thats not plastic surgery? Maybe get that pesky spleen removed?

At first I thought turbinate sounded like a big thing, like turbine or so large brass instrument. But its actually part of the nasal anatomy. Its on the inside of the lower outer walls of the nose if that makes sense.

I have terrible allergies. I take zyrtec in the morning. I take hydroxyzine at night. I take guiaphenex (thats sudafed plus guiaphenesine) twice a day. Astelin twice a day. Flonase- a bunch of it- in the AM and some PMs too. I can't take more stuff- I'm already taking all I can. I also get three allergy shots twice a week. And my turbinates get big and they make me stuffy! And I'm getting might sick of it.

CHECK THIS OUT

TOM, that was a great vid.

I got so excited watching that- I wanted a little rotary drill to whack away all that restriction and open up that sinus cavity for good! LOL.

Man, when mine get plugged up and the pressure is going I sort of half-fantasize about drilling in into them with an electric drill... But I wouldn't want all that pressure in there to blow up my drill bit! LOL.

Get my torn ligament sewn back together *sigh*

I see my ENT at the end of the month and I'll bring it up again... if he won't do it I'll go back to my old ENT who first mentioned it to me. I tried singulair before... really didn't do anything for me. But yeah I think I will get it done. Though I might wait until after the semester is over.

TOM, that was a great vid.

I got so excited watching that- I wanted a little rotary drill to whack away all that restriction and open up that sinus cavity for good! LOL.

OMG, it made me positively weak in the knees!! Yikes!

Not THAT kind of implant, though. Dental implants. I hate my partial.

I'm actually trying to talk DH into taking me to Mexico for them. Everytime he leaves US soil, he thinks he's going to die.

Not THAT kind of implant, though. Dental implants. I hate my partial.

I'm actually trying to talk DH into taking me to Mexico for them. Everytime he leaves US soil, he thinks he's going to die.

I had 2 dental implants put into my lower right quadrant last year. There is a 3 tooth crown across them. Insurance did not cover a penny, so it cost me almost $7,000, but well worth it.

I had no teeth on the right lower side and big chucks of food were always going down my esophagus, cause me to jam up. That problem was solved thanks to the implants.

I previously had 3 partials made, but due to an unusual saliva gland placement, they alway gave me problems, so I never wore them.