Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY P.C.O.S, & Pregnacy

Hello ladies,

I have no business here but just need to ask a question. My girlfriend and I have been trying to conceive for some time now. Her weight is no help but the main problem is P.C.O.S. (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome). I assume most of you know what it is (given your are all females), if not here is a link explaining what the syndrome is. ( http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.cfm )

She's leaning towards the RNY to help her weight but recent researching discoveries indicate women getting pregnant after WLS and P.C.O.S not being a factor anymore. Any of you ladies have any input or direct info in regards to this? Any of you have P.C.O.S and have gotten pregnant after RNY?

That a good choice I have a friend of mine has the same problem. She was told to lose weight she had the gastric bypass and she got pregnant. The only thing is she needs to wait for 2 yrs at least. Good luck

RNY cured my 13 year horrible reign of infertility & pcos. I got pregnant about 2 weeks post op. good luck to you & your wife.

DOS:358 CW:270 SD:1/28/13

Yes, it is a fact. My surgeon stated in his introduction seminar that, there is an 80% chance of fertility increase after WLS reason why we females are put on BC immediately.

There are plenty ladies/moms here who can confirm it based on their personal experience.

I've dealt with pcos and infertility for a very very long time. I had rny almost 10 months ago, lost 125 pounds and I am 12 weeks pregnant. I couldn't be happier.

HW:331 SW:319 11-26-12 CW: 196 8-16-13 GW:170

I may ever have sex again, y'all are giving me super-fertility nightmares!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 199

Yep! Rny apparently cured my PCOS. Years of nothing and after feeling the best I've felt in years..pcos is apparently gone and I'm preggo. Happy!

I have to thank you for posting this.

My PCOS has destroyed my 10 year long relationship, and my doctor wants to send me in for RNY to try to help the PCOS w/Insulin Resistance. I was unsure as to whether or not I wanted to take the leap of permanent surgery, in fear that it wouldn't help.

I've been fighting PCOS for years as well. Although I have never actively TRIED to get pregnant, my fiancé and I haven't used any form of B/C for 4 years. We want to have children badly and I hope the RNY will not only help make me healthier, but more fertile as well.

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been overweight for years, during my marriage (no longer married) I did not use birth control but we weren't actively trying to get pregnant, PCOS was a constant beast for me, along with insulin resistance, depression and anxiety. I had the GBP, and was told to wait two years before trying to get pregnant due to baby's health and nutrition for both of us.

There is an article from the national institute of health that researched pcos and the different weight loss options. It stated that roux en y is the best procedure for the treatment of pcos and should be considered one of the first line treatments. They suspect that it has to do with the bypassing of the first part of bowel. The second surgery to prove results was the lap band and then they shared that the sleeve did not do much to help pcos. I chose the roux en y because of the research, metformin was NOT doing a darn thing to help my insulin resistance and I want kids in the future so I felt this was my best option. I can't wait for my next round of labs from my endocrinologist to see the results I surgery!! Good luck to you all!

This thread has given me hope. I may be getting old to be thinking about having a baby but regardless I am. My fiancé and I are getting married in August and have discussed having a child. We

met each other late in life so I guess we will just be older parents. Like many of you I also

have PCOS and am glad to hear it can usually be solved with GBP. Gives me hope that 2 years down the road I shouldn't have a problem getting pregnant. :-)

RNY cured my 13 year horrible reign of infertility & pcos. I got pregnant about 2 weeks post op. good luck to you & your wife.

DOS:358 CW:270 SD:1/28/13[/quot

How did your pregnancy go?

Hello! I had gastric bypass in July for the soul purpose of having babies. I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance when I was 17 so I struggled with it for over 10 years. I never ovulated...I have ovulated normally since surgery. It was truly a miracle situation!! I am hoping to not have problems getting pregnant after our 18 months waiting period! It is great to hear everyone's stories of their success with PCOS and surgery!!!

I too had RNY with the main reason being PCOS. My sister suffers from PCOS, and was diagnosed at a very young age. Nine years ago, she was diagnosed with DMII and since then her health has deteriorated quickly. She was lucky enough to conceive a child naturally when she was 29 years old after years and years of not even a possibility. The doctors were ASTOUNDED!!!! She then went on to have another baby naturally as well as once the body goes through a pregnancy, it is often easier to conceive again immediately after. So she has two beautify little girls 17 months apart! We Praise God for the little blessings, however he health was very unstable during her pregnancies and she was on record amounts of insulin. She now wears wigs because she has so little hair due to her PCOS. Now that she is done breastfeeding, she is attempting weight loss on her own however I knew it was time for me to try another route. I have had endometriosis since I was a teen, and at 17 my first surgical experience resulted in the doctor telling my mother that one of my fallopian tubes was already scarred shut so I was down to one working tube. I was able to have one perfect baby girl at age 25. I was a single mother for 6 years to her and I was grateful that I was able to experience motherhood at all. Then I met my husband, and we are undecided at this point if we want to have another child. I have had surgery every year for the last several years due to chronic pelvic pain because of my PCOS and Endometriosis. When I heard that RNY might help me live pain free, get me off of Metformin for Insulin Resistance, and possibly reduce the other symptoms that come with PCOS (For me they were hot flashes, night sweats and night terrors, anxiety, RLS), I knew that I had to try it. One surgery that although MAJOR and a TON of work, might prevent me from needing surgery every year for the next ten. To me it was an obvious choice. I have a life to live!! I am already off of all of the meds that I was on pre-op! All that I require now is vitamins! Not only would it increase my chances of getting pregnant on my own should we decide to try when I can, BUT this will mean that my pregnancy wouldn't be as high risk because weight can affect a pregnancy in so many ways. Good Luck to all you future mamas!