Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I SOOOO COLD??

Ok, this question is really for my hubby. We've always slept with the a/c on 68, ceiling fan on, one blanket. I've always been a hot person all year long. Well since the surgery 3 weeks ago...I'm FREEEEEEEZING! I have to have an extra blanket, socks, flannel pjs, and sometimes a sweatshirt! We are fighting over the setting of the ceiling fan now. LOL!! He wants to know what in the world is wrong with me. I'm in Florida..it's always pretty mild, but this month has been pretty cold so far. Well..the lowest has been in the 20's, but I'm blaming it on the weather. What do you think?? Has anyone else experienced this??

Thanks!!:lol:

YES!!!! Before surgery i was always hot. Now I am always looking for an extra shirt to put on or even an extra pair of pants. I'm not sure as to why, hopefully someone will tell us.

My guess would be that your body is working hard to heal and can't spare the energy to keep you warm too! I get this way when I have a bad period too. Also being in Floida you are used to warm weather, whenever a cold snap comes I alwasy need to have the heat set a good 4 degrees warmer than in summer, winter time the house is 72 summertime it's 68. And you my dear are probably not used to 20 degree weather.

I'm 18 months post-op and still freezing. I was told it was 3 things, 1. lower calorie intake, makes for a colder body. 2. less fat to keep us warm 3. possibly low Iron, common after any weightloss surgery.

Grab a blanket and stay warm. ~Mandy

At my original seminar, they had 2 people who had been banded speak, and both of them said they were always cold now. The woman said it began immediately, and the man said his only started after losing about 60 pounds.

The Dr. explained to us, that the fat cells hold estrogen in, and when it begins to release that you can feel hot flashes, but more than likely you will lose the always warm feeling. Then as you continue to lose weight, you literally lose a good layer of fat insulation.....

I am much cooler natured now, but it is regulating itself. I wore a winter coat and gloves this year, for the first time since Junior High I think. I feel less like having multiple layers on now, I am slowing down my weight loss (doggone it!), and my body is settling in I think to how it is going to be.

Kat

I wear socks all the time now in the house. I even wear them to bed. This is the first time I've experienced cold and now understand skinny people when they complain. I'm so cold in the fingers and feet sometimes it is actual pain. I just put more clothes on than ever. :lol:

As a formally very warm blooded person, I am always cold too. We used to keep the thermostat at 68 or 69 and my wife would always complain it was too cold. Now, I am the cold one and we have it at 74 or 75 all the time. I would be happy to leave it at 78. :lol: I think the Texas heat will be much more bearable this year! :Banane43:

Well now it makes more sense to me!! Hubby was on me to call my doctor..thinking I must be sick!! LOL The "less calories in" makes a lot of sense to me. My body must be working less??? Now if I could just get my hubby to lose a little weight with me...think how cheap our electric bill would be!!! LOL!! Thanks for your input guys.

Your right about the electric bill :lol: I also take long showers and now that I go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week and shower there after a workout, our bills are really coming down! :Banane43:

I wore a winter coat and gloves this year, for the first time since Junior High I think.

Kat

Dang you mean I am actually going to have to go buy a coat next year?

Good to know I am not the only person to go through the winter coatless lol

Cold here too. My wife is pregnant with twins so the ceiling fan blanket situation in our bedroom has become a bit of a issue.

I am also cold. It is warm here in Louisiana today and I did a bit of yard work and did not sweat. I sleep in a long gown and heavy blanket. Before I would just have a tee shirt and sheet. My friend cannot believe that when we were in the 20's for the low I was in a flannel gown, robe and sitting in front of the space heater.

My dad had bypass surgery 3 years ago and he also is very cold nature now.

Another popsicle here!!! :becky:

Fortunately, DH had lapband last month so we are freezing together. Most nights we go to bed early and snuggle under the electric blanket.

It's so weird because before this I sweated profusely. Walking to the kitchen could have me looking like I'd just gone 3 rounds in a prize fight. Gross! :)

I too am always cold, it has created a problem in the bedroom, my hubby has been sleeping on thecouch for over a year now, I am always freezing and he is always wanting theair on or the window open. I was told by my PCP that it is from a number of things, one I lost over 100 lbs, less insulation...two, my blood pressure is borderline low, and threee I am anemic. I had none of these problems prior to my band , but it is all worthit to have gotten my life back once I lost all that weight. But it is a struggleeveryday, a battle with co-workers over the air conditioning, I wear a sweater or jacket all day long everyday..no matter what the temp is and I live in sunny so cal. you are not alone here with always being cold