Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Hello everyone, I was banded on Thursday April 5th and I just want to check that everyone is feeling the same way I am.

Day of surgery, Water only, just sips, took pain medicine, felt some pain in the shoulder but was fine when I laid down.

Day two, liquids, water, fruit juices cut, protien mixed with water, I felt some shoulder pain and I also noticed that the lungs felt tight when I took a deep breath but I am able to cough just fine. I also noticed what I would call a burp but nothing like I am use to. I feel a pressure in the stomach and then a slight burp and relief. I am thinking it is in the area of the band.

Day three, similar to day two, had two naps and took pain meds. Still feeling the burping pressue build up then relief.

Day four, feeling better today, lungs still feel tight when I take deep breaths but caoghing is fine, no meds required. I am still feeling the pressure but it does not seem as bad. I had that Soup in a cup today, it went down just fine.

Anyone have the same symptoms as me?

Dave, if your doctor did not prescribe breathing exercises maybe he should have. Mine did and it helps. Every 2 hours or so take 5-10 SLOW deep breaths...as deep as you can....and do this for a 4-5 days. This helps to prevent pneumonia...and you don't want that!!

Are you taking Gas-X or Digel for gas? That might relieve the burping and tightness you're feeling. I have a lot of gas too, and I take that stuff regularly but I think moving around, especially going for a 15 min. walk 3-4x a day, is the best you can do for it.

Oh, I've had my share of shoulder pain. It comes and goes with no real pattern.

I'm making yogurt Protein smoothies, cream of wheat, and cream Soups. All about 3/4c at a time, eaten slowly. I think I might try a little fish and canned green Beans (just a few) tonight, but I think my doctor's post-op diet is more liberal than most.

Sounds like you're right on track!

Hey Everyone,

Just had a quick question about the post op diet. I am doing the shakes and Soups, but read that some people are blending up "real" food. I love the soups, they feel warm and yummy, but I am only having 1/4 cup at a time. I am just wondering if there is more variety out there?

Dave,

I will feel tight in the chest from time to time, but I am also doing the breathing exercises Terry talked about. And the shoulder pain comes and goes (much prefer it when it goes...that really hurts). Keep breathing and sitting upright as much as possible. I am going to try to go to the gym this afternoon and just do 30 min on the bike (not fast, but to just get things moving). If not today, tomorrow for sure. I think moving as much as possible helps.

Dave:

Banded same day as you. Some things same/some different.

Actually on Day 1 they gave me Soup, juice and ice cream at the hospital for dinner. Lots of meds but I never had the shoulder pain. Definitely had the lung 'tightness' and after reading on the board about the breathing excercises, that has helped a lot.

Day 2 had broth and a mediocre EAS vanilla shake. Some pain, but better.

Day 3 I tried some egg drop soup (protein and broth, right?) and have had no problems. Trying to just have a little. Was concerned about the chunks, but have been tolerating it well. Weight Watcher pop for dessert.

Feeling good today. No pain meds needed and the gas has been helped by the Gas X, also recommended by others on the board.

Bottom line, it sounds like the two issues you are having (Gas and Tightness) are fixable (at least they were for me) but it sounds like you are doing pretty good.

By the way, to all of the posters, this board has helped me a lot. Thanks to all who are posting and soon to be losing a lot of LBs. Best wishes to Tracy in getting thru her bad day.

Cred

Hello everyone, I was banded on Thursday April 5th and I just want to check that everyone is feeling the same way I am.

Day of surgery, Water only, just sips, took pain medicine, felt some pain in the shoulder but was fine when I laid down.

Day two, liquids, water, fruit juices cut, protien mixed with water, I felt some shoulder pain and I also noticed that the lungs felt tight when I took a deep breath but I am able to cough just fine. I also noticed what I would call a burp but nothing like I am use to. I feel a pressure in the stomach and then a slight burp and relief. I am thinking it is in the area of the band.

Day three, similar to day two, had two naps and took pain meds. Still feeling the burping pressue build up then relief.

Day four, feeling better today, lungs still feel tight when I take deep breaths but caoghing is fine, no meds required. I am still feeling the pressure but it does not seem as bad. I had that soup in a cup today, it went down just fine.

Anyone have the same symptoms as me?

Tracy,

I am sending you positive thoughts and prayers that you get through this day!!! You really are a great inspiration for everyone on the list! You also have lots of good info!! Hate to see people down!!!! Hang in There!!

TerriDoodle, Cred and kitty, thanks for your responses. I too learned of the breathing exersices on this board and I have been doing them, amybe not as often as I should be.

I feel better just knowing that others have felt the sames pains and tightness that I have. I will try more breathing, more walking and more gas-x, thanks everyone.

Fellow pre-op "sufferers":

Janiebug, PSWashburn, DynamoMini, TracyinKS:

Hey guys...hubby and I are in the preop phase as well...He started the Clear Liquids phase today...I started full liquids this past Monday and clear liquids yesterday...it IS hard...especially cooking for the kids...They are in the habit of warm food at every meal, so we have met in the middle...I've been cooking one or two meals a day...plus our Easter tradition is to make "resurrection Cookies, " so we did that yesterday. I got a little bit of melted butter on my finger and licked it...my first and only cheat (if you can call it that)!!! And the few times they've had sandwiches this week I've actually had to WILL myself not to lick the "meat juice" from the cold cuts off of my fingers...and I don't like cold cuts!!

I'm telling you guys, I would not have made it this far without God and my faith in Jesus and you guys...If I get discouraged, I pray then I come here!!! Thank you ALL so much for that!! We leave for Monterrey Wednesday morning and have surgery Thursday. WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Lunasa:

I think we are all in a phase of self-discovery. This is a hard journey...it's like we're saying good-bye forever to a best friend. Sad as that is, that's what it feels like!! As someone who has dealt with depression for 20+ years, I'm all for making a pact with anyone who wants to...lets seek eachother out if we have problems in that area...it's so much easier to isolate yourself and push people away when we get depressed...I think we need eachother...we DO live in a different world than those who don't have this struggle! If you get depressed, lots of times, you just don't feel like talking to ANYONE. All you have to do is type a post with the words "I'm depressed." If I see a post like that, I'll respond as soon as I see it!! I'm not on everyday, but at least every other day.

Sara Mos:

Thank you so much for your thoughts and well-wishes! Hubby and I are leaving our four children with my mom and traveling to Mexico Wednesday. I am a bit apprehensive about the after-affects, but I am blessed with a lot of family close by.

APRIL 12 BANDSTERS:

WE ONLY HAVE FOUR DAYS!!!!!!!! Is anyone else going to Monterrey by any chance? We'll be there from April 11-15. If any of you are going to be there, let me know! Maybe we can sit next to the pool in the 90 degree weather and roast and recover together!! In a sick kind of way, I'm almost looking forward to the discomfort of the recovery...that way I'll know for sure that it is real and that this change is going to be real.

:hungry: I am REALLY HUNGRY RIGHT NOW, THOUGH!!:hungry: I'd suck on a BBQ rib bone in a second...mmmm, that actually sounds good!!!

Hello there everyone. Happy Easter to all. Well today has been my best day since I have been banded. Today is day six and this is so much more better. I was able to go to the movies with my husband today. It was so nice to get out. The gas pains are getting sooooo much better. And I am learning that small portions are great. We are all so lucky to be here. The oly problem I am having is that I am still bloated and my incision where the port is is a little itchy. Can any of you tell me what you are doing about Protein drinks? I have tried some from GNC and let me just say GROSS. Well who ever is getting banded this month just remember that we are here for you. I was banded on 4-2-07 and let me tell you every day gets better. Trust me we all know that has had it done. Hugs to all my new lb friends. Stacey

Hey Stacey,

I was banded on 4-3! I posted earlier today about post op diet options...looking for some alternatives. However, I like making my own shakes, don't care for the premade ones. I am using vanilla yougart, some skim milk and strawberry Unjury Protein Powder. I make about 8-10 oz and usually drink it in 2 or 3 sittings. A few sips and so far, I am full. I like making my own better. I also am using Carnation instant Breakfast (no sugar added and choc) plus the strawberry unjury protien powder and some milk...that tastes good. I am using the magic bullet...I love that, but I need to let whatever I make sit for a bit, to get some of the air bubbles out.

I agree with you, today is a pretty good day as far as pain etc. I have used Tylenol 2x and no pain meds (first time all week). I will probably take a swig at bedtime.

Does anyone who was banded this week have to go back to work tomorrow or this week? I have the week off, but was just wondering.

FOR OUR FUTURE BAND SISTERS AND BROTHERS JOINING US THIS WEEK...YOUR IN MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS. SPEEDY AND PAINLESS RECOVERY.

Here is something fun to do. Check out the Jan or Feb bandster threads and read the last pages of the threads. It is just great to see their sucess on their tickers and think about what our tickers and successes will look like in 2-3 months!!!!!!!:clap2:

7.5 days to go. My wife and daughter offically told me a few hours ago, that after 7:00 my full moon comes out and I become a werewolf. This is not good for a man who is a pastor like myself. I guess it was good that I we canceled services tonight for Easter. A werewolf in the pulpit could be the starting for a good movie. My daughter was very hesitant, but quickly agreed with my wife.

If it was not for the encouragement from you guys, my wife would be looking for a new pet. Her boston terrier looks better every minute past the hour of 7:00

Hanging with the rest of you.

:faint:

Phil

post-217713-13813134819405_thumb.png

Good night everyone

I am all caught up on reading, or I think I am. You all have such wonderful ideas. I am so excited.. and Yes I am freaking out because no scale

oh well, nothing I can do about it now. LOL

going to Walmart tomorrow, maybe i'll take one off the shelf. LOL

night

7.5 days to go. My wife and daughter offically told me a few hours ago, that after 7:00 my full moon comes out and I become a werewolf. This is not good for a man who is a pastor like myself. I guess it was good that I we canceled services tonight for Easter. A werewolf in the pulpit could be the starting for a good movie. My daughter was very hesitant, but quickly agreed with my wife.

If it was not for the encouragement from you guys, my wife would be looking for a new pet. Her boston terrier looks better every minute past the hour of 7:00

Hanging with the rest of you.

:faint:

Phil

Phil,

My hubby came in a few minutes ago with Domino's pizza for the kids...Oh MYYYYYYYY...My youngest son is three and doesn't really understand what's going on...I was eating my SF Jello and he asked for some. I told him that right now, mommy is being selfish because she can't have foods like his pizza...so what does the sweet young man do? Holds the pizza up in my face and actually BUMPS MY LIPS WITH IT...and says, "Here Mommy, you can have some of mine." I thought I was going to die!!!

I see that you are a preacher...that's cool! Are you finding alot of support from your congregation? We all know that our preachers aren't perfect, but most sins aren't apparent to the eye...We can't hide ours!!!! I have to say that my prayer life is so much different now than it was just a week ago! I didn't realize how much I had put food on an altar!

I have to say, one of my biggest struggles with the decision to do this was that if "I can do anything through Christ who gives me strength," then why have I failed and failed at this? Is it "cheating" to have the surgery...does that mean that I'm not relying on God? Well, my hubby (who is a wonderful spiritual head of our household!!!) pointed out that the struggle isn't over once we have the band...that just means that there's a punishment in place if we fail...a punishment that we can see (or feel or taste or throw-up...BLECH!) here and now. God will give us tools to do what we need to do to please Him...this is a tool. My hubby and I both feel called to overseas missions and have begun to explore our options...all of them require that we be in better physical health. It is so exciting to know that soon, we will be able to allow God to fullfill His plan for our lives and we won't be holding him back!!!!

We're on a countdown now...This is SOOO exciting!

Hey Phil.. my DH is a pastor too. He's trying to get the lap band, but has to wait for a pre-auth which we are told will take up to 14 weeks. My surgery is Tuesday. He'll be there for me as he has for the last 37 years. He's my rock.

Well it looks like I have a new flock. Kristy since you asked, "Whatsoever you do do so for the glory of God." If you are doing this so that you can give him the glory for it. If you are doing this so that you will learn to depend more on Him. If you are doing this that you can share His strengh that you gain later. Then my answer would be it is not sin. If you He led you to do this and you did not, that would be sin. My wife and I were on the mission field for 14 years. I could not have made it physically in the condition I am now. If I ever return, I hope I am not the size I am now. "So we walk by faith not by sight." I am not what I was neither am I what I am gong to be, because He began a good work in me and will not be finished until he is ready.

OK there is my Sunday evening sermon.

It is good to have you guys out there to help lift me up. This is not going to be easy. However, we are to hlep carry each others burdens, so lets stick together and lift each other up to Him who can and will carry each of us through this.

I had REAL food tonight! (which is allowed on my post-op) I had about 1-1/2 oz of baked fish, about 2 Tbsp of mashed potatoes and 4 bites of canned green Beans. I chewed and chewed and chewed and chewed and chewed!!!

:):bananajump::(:bananajump: