Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Ah yes, the famous Mock Danish! I've had my share of those!! Thanks for the reminder, Tracy...that is a good mushie!

Judy - You absolutely crack me up!! "oh honey....my bo-bo's hurt sooooo bad! Can you cook and clean and do the laundry ..." ROFL!!

Ok, here's a new one for ya'll.....I'm 3.5 weeks out, right...and my incisions are all healed very nicely....except for one of the little ones that has a tiny bit of a stitch hanging out of it!!!! AAACK! So it won't heal properly and its right at my waistline and constantly irritated. When I go in for my fill I'll certainly ask them to do something about it...but what a pain in the patootey!!

Somebody please take note that I reached (exceeded) my exercise goals for April!?! I worked HARD for that! I never used to be an exercise person...at all. But BEHOLD!! I DO A NEW THING!!

BTW, Anybody from the Shrinking Violets want to join a May exercise challenge? Just set your own goals for the month and update your signature to let us all know how you're coming along! Those of you who are just banded need to be reminded to take it easy (TRACY!!!) but walking is good! Nobody should be doing weights or swimming until you get the clear OK from your doctor. We gotta all get used to keeping these new bodies of ours moving!

Hi Eveyone,

I'm back from being banded on Friday the 27th... Post op pain has been a lot more than I expected but today I feel much better. I think because my doctor does an extra stitch to prevent a hernia (ouch!).. Anyways I arrived at 10:00 am and had surgery about 12:30 pm and afterwards went to a room and then went home about 8:30 pm, it was nice that I didn't feel I was pushed out the door as soon as possible. I enjoyed being able to use the button for my own pain control (yes, I was pushing it every 10 minutes for a long time). And yesterday I pulled off a bandage that was covering my steri-strips and some of the tape was on top of one of my steri-strips so it got pulled off - shocked me!!! It didn't hurt but I had visions of blood spurting! I had my husband wash his hands really good and put a butterfly bandage on it - good thing is wasn't where my port was because that would have killed me w/the pain!!!

I've been sleeping on the couch and can't wait to sleep in my bed but I still can't lay down straight; too much pulling on my incision.

Today the gas is escaping (finally) but I still feel bloated. Tracy- I too weighed more this am (up 4 lbs grrrr) but it must be Fluid retention. I did loose 8 lbs on my pre-op diet and was happy with that!

I'm on Clear Liquids for another 4 weeks and then full liquids/puried food- can't wait!! Although I'm not hungry now.

TerriDoodle - Try tucking a piece of fleece into your wait band where it's irritating your stich. I did that when I had my gallbladder out and it really helped w/rubbing,ect. I plan to use it again, it's a must!! Great job on your exercise challenge!!! I hope to join in soon :)

Whooooooooohooo Terri! You are kicking butt in the exercise department!

NbJen: WELCOME TO BANDLAND!!!!!!!!!! I expected to gain since it is full of sodium..... but we will be shrinking violets before long! YOUCH! a steri strip coming off would of suprised me too!

Laura: Click on the link in my signature then log in....... to google... I tried it last night but wouldn't let me, so I dont know if its down or what.

Its way past my bed time and I have to face work tomorrow......

See ya in the am....

Sweet dreams VIolets@

Hi Eveyone,

I'm back from being banded on Friday the 27th... Post op pain has been a lot more than I expected but today I feel much better. I think because my doctor does an extra stitch to prevent a hernia (ouch!)..

I've been sleeping on the couch and can't wait to sleep in my bed but I still can't lay down straight; too much pulling on my incision.

I'm on clear liquids for another 4 weeks and then full liquids/puried food- can't wait!! Although I'm not hungry now.

nbjen,

I had a hiatal hernia, so my doctor repaired that....I wonder if that will delay my recovery time at all? So far I feel great. I've been a little sore internally, but only enough for the liquid Tylenol...no Vicodin! I hate the way those pain meds make me feel! So far I haven't had any incision pain, it's been mainly muscle soreness and gas LOL!

I've been sleeping on the couch recliner as well...I'm hoping to be sleeping in my bed by tonight or tomorrow! I miss it sooooo much!

Wow 4 weeks of clear liquids...I'd go nuts! I started mushies today...I wonder why the surgeons are so different in their post-op diet orders??? That just is bizarre!

Good luck on your recovery and congrats on your banding!!! :clap2:

Laura: Click on the link in my signature then log in....... to google... I tried it last night but wouldn't let me, so I dont know if its down or what.

Tracy,

The page is "view only"...that's why it can't be edited....

Hi Shrinking Violets!

I like the name, unfortunately, I may not be shrinking as quickly as the rest of you. I had an unfortunate eating day. No restriction nor did I use my diet muscle.

So i commit for tomorrow -

1) Weight in

2) Exercise

3) Log my food

4) Write my painful thoughts in ( Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life workbook I am following on the B2G website)

I'll report in, We can all do this. I can do this. Send me good vibes.

Hugs to all of you,

Michelle

Hi everyone-

Another day spent sitting, and walking the loop at the hospital! Rick is the same. Spends most of his time in A-fib....occasionally going into a normal rhythm. We did get a possible scenario today. When they cut down the size of his heart back in August at the original heart surgery, they did what is called a Maze procedure, it is like electro-cautery, they use to teach the blood pumping through the heart the new pathways. Often times patients are in A-fib for up to 6 months following the procedure, so they are kept on blood thinners, usually coumadin, during the 6 months. The second issue requiring the 6 months of Coumadin, was the valve surgery itself. Anytime a foreign body is introduced, madeof plastic, it needs an average of 6 months to cover with tissue. Covering in tissue is necessary to prevent blood clots---blood tends to clot, on the foreign body. Well 2 months out from his heart surgery, he had the Massive GI bleed, that come so close to killing him. In order to save him, they not only removed him from the Coumadin, they pumped him full of Vitamin K (for clotting) and platelets for clotting. While it worked to save him at the time, it is now causing serious problems. His CAT scan, shows he has had minimally 2 strokes. So for right now...the plan is to continue to anticoagulate his blood, walking a fine line with the bleeding issue. He is also getting arythmia drugs, to try to slow and regulate the heart, they cannot get his heart rate to go below 121, and stay without super strong IV drugs, the oral meds, do nothing. He is also getting nitro through a patch type thing on his skin. They upped his Coumadin to 10 mg. tonight, as his PT/INR has not changed either---3 days and no changes to date. He received a Lovenox shot tonight as well. Hoping to see changes with the blood thinnning. Tomorrow we have our local Dr. who is the blood Dr. conferencing on a call with the local cardiologist (who has recinded his hospital privileges in a contract battle), and our cardiac surgeon in Albuquerque. They will be deciding whether he is a candidate for ablation ( further electro cautery surgery---either open heart, or through a catheter similar to angioplasty). Lots of big words---and unknowns still.

The inlaws are barely speaking to me---tough sh#*!!! His sister trying to order me around about transfering him was more than I could take so I hung up on her!!! I do not call every hour on the hour---I call his Mom, 5-6 times a day---and it isn't satisfying her. I figure the phone lines go both ways, and she is 10 miles away. She doesn't like it, there is plenty she can do about it!

I love his family, I just am not handling this the way they want. Rick is awake, aware, and able to make his own decisions on this, I will not use emotion to try to sway him, and that is what his Mom wants.

Anyway------ain't family GRAND?!!

Thanks so much-----your prayers and thoughts mean the world to me!!!

(((((HUGS to ALL of you!!!)))))

Kat

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Laura---if you don't get a disk by the time I get back from ABQ (if we have to go) or when I get home to really be home, I will hunt up my old one, this computer is history as of this week I believe!

Kat- I'd appreciate it! And I would send the disk right back! My thoughts have been with you and your husband, hope it all works out!!

Terri- I saw someone post about stitches poking out on another thread, they said they took cuticle clippers and snipped it off. I feel a knotted lump under my port incision, he said he had to stitch it underneath.. but I haven't seen anything poke up! It's all mostly scarred over now, so I guess if it was going to poke out, it would by now.

Good morning to everyone, I was banded last Tues 24th and apart from gas pains Im doing ok. The whole procedure went very well with no complications.

I am at times find the gas pains really hard to deal with. I get them in my shouldors and around the band area. I have no hunger yet and I find that after I eat something they get quite bad. I am just having smoothies and Soups. Im wondering if anyone has any tips how to ease them. I have been going for walks but it doesnt seem to help. How long will this last?

I live in Ireland and we dont have GasX strips. From reading your posts these really seem to help a lot. I actually thought I was having a heart attack last night and my DH was really worried about me.

Apart from the gas pains I am so excited to be banded. I am having my stitches removed tomorrow and cant wait because my bra is irritating one of my incisions. I had a slight problem with Constipation but I had prune juice and that helped a lot!!

Anyone any advice would be so good. Brenners x

Congrats Brenners! If it makes you feel any better, gasx and walking didn't help me either! Mine finally went away, but someone mentioned laying on the bed on your stomach with pillows under you with your bum up in the air! She said it worked for her, and I was going to try it but then my pains finally stopped. I could push my 'pain' spots and make them subside/move for a little while. It'll go away eventually :)

Wow, what a busy night/morning already

Kat, I you are a wonderfully strong person - you and Rick are in my prayers. It is nice that you feel so comfortalbe with the new april group to be able to share/vent. I know I always feel better when I get stuff out in here.

Laura - I have xp professional and a new computer, I don't know if it even came with a disk, I need to make a recovery disk, it is strange.

Tracy - I'm up for the may challenge, I'll update my signature when I get home this am. I think I'm going to have a treadmill challange, as I hate using it and need to add minutes more than days using.

To everyone else, Keep up the good work! this is such an impressive group of people and I feel like you are all part of my family. I am slightly jealous of all you super loosers, but hey, I'll take 19lbs in 2 weeks, 19lbs less than I was!

Tracy - I just looked at your pics and although that is way cool...I don't have a strong stomach and YUCK. lol

That is way cool, You are so funny for getting them, I would have never thought to ask.

Good Morning all you Shrinking Violets..

Terri.. I too have a stitch on the outside. It's at the port area and I'm afraid to pull it for fear of unraveling the whole thing!! YIKES!! I go in for my meeting with the nurse and nutritionist on the 8th so will ask her to check it out then. I finally figured out that the incision between my boobs is the port. I was expecting it to be on the lower left side of my abdomen, but after rereading parts of Dr. Ortiz's book last night, it says the port can be just about anywhere including the sternum and that's where mine is. I was brave enough to push on it last night and yup.. there's the port!

Kat.. stay strong and continued prayers to you and Rick. I hope the problems get resolved and he gets better and you both get back home soon.

Brenners... congrats on being in Bandland!! Can't help you with the gas pains.. I hate to mention it here, but I didn't have any that I noticed. Just the motorboat ones DH said I let rip while I was sleeping. I didn't come home with any so I feel extremely fortunate.

nbjen.. I too had a hernia repair at the time of banding. I am sooooooo grateful not to have acid reflux anymore! It's so nice to be able to sleep on my stomach again and with only one pillow, instead of being propped up on my right side so the acid didn't back up into my throat during the night.

Tracy... hope all goes well at work today. Don't overdo.. I'm betting your work isn't as physical as moping the floors so you should be fine!!

To everyone else.. have a great day, stay true to the bandland rules and we'll all continue to be Shrinking Violets!!!