Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Black Vomit During Sleep

Views
Started by shinkodude, Feb 07, 2007 9:52 PM
14 replies to this topic
14 replies to this topic

shinkodude

Novice

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted February 7, 2007 - 9:52 PM

got banded 2 years ago lost 100lb so far to my goal weight of 210lb.

Just about 10 days ago started feeling tightness and difficulty keeping food down and on top of that i started to choke while i sleep, saliva and black matter getting in the airway.
The black matter mix with saliva seems to looks like black dust particles mixed with water when i Regurgitate (vomit)
anyone knows !!! help please...
brian

Mommy0105

Loving the Banded Life!

• Surgeon: Marina Kurian
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2006
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 236
  • Weight Lost: 99
  • Current Weight: 137
  • Goal Weight: 130
  • BMI: 22.8
  • My Blogs
Posted February 7, 2007 - 9:56 PM

How long has this been happenning? If you suspect it is blood, I would go to an ER immediately to be checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Shesha

Junior Guru

Posted February 7, 2007 - 9:58 PM

How long has this been happenning? If you suspect it is blood, I would go to an ER immediately to be checked out. Better safe than sorry.

I agree! You'd better get checked out!

enterprise01

Devoted Trekkie

Posted February 7, 2007 - 9:58 PM

Yes, if the vomit kind of looks like coffee grounds, then you probably have some intestinal bleeding and need medical attention. Please take care of yourself.

MEW

Expert Member

Posted February 7, 2007 - 10:07 PM

As a nurse...I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else!! You could have an internal GI bleed, and this needs immediate medical attention! ASAP!!!!

GayleTX

Bariatric Evangelist

Posted February 7, 2007 - 10:12 PM

As a former victim of internal bleeding, I say.....get to the ER ASAP! I almost waited too long....fortunate to be here today.

La_madam

Bariatric Legend

Posted February 7, 2007 - 11:21 PM

vomiting blood or coffee-ground like material, is a symptom of gastritis or When vomit is reddish or the color of coffee grounds, it may mean there is serious internal bleeding. The reddish color may be fresh blood and dark blood may be blood that has been digested.

ser123

Bariatric Guru

• My Blogs
Posted February 8, 2007 - 12:18 AM

You really need to go to the doctor, I would say ASAP. Good luck and please keep us posted as to the outcome.

Do you have black tar-like stools as well? That is another indicator of Upper GI bleeding.

This is a quote from the Emergency Physcician's Review,

"Coffee ground emesis (vomit) contains gross blood that has been coagulated and oxidized by stomach acid and appears as "coffee grounds" floating in stomach aspirate. It usually indicates a signifcant upper GI bleed that has stopped."

The bold and underline is mine. The following is a quote from the following weblink:

http://www.emedicine...d/topic3566.htm

Acute gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding is a potentially life-threatening abdominal emergency that remains a common cause of hospitalization. The incidence of upper gastrointestinal bleeding (UGIB) is approximately 100 cases per 100,000 population per year (Fallah, 2000). Bleeding from the upper GI tract is approximately 4 times as common as bleeding from the lower GI tract and is a major cause of morbidity and mortality. Mortality rates from UGIB are 6-10% overall (Fallah, 2000).

MEW

Expert Member

Posted February 8, 2007 - 12:24 AM

Another thing to keep in mind....while sleeping, it is very easy to aspirate (breathe in to your lungs) the vomit, this can lead to respiratory distress, pneumonia and other respiratory related illnesses.

jillrn

Banded 12-12-06

Posted February 8, 2007 - 6:52 PM

As another nurse-- DITTO ALL THE ABOVE Get to the ER tonight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates