Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wife doesn't want me to get surgery

Yes in the beginning bc he was listening to his dumb brothers that i would leave him.. when i told his bros where 2 go and told him i am doing it for us he then was 1000% behind me in my decision=

Sent from my DROID4 using RNYTalk

My husband says he's excited but I beg to differ. He should be happy for me because it's something I want to help me live longer. I don't take any medication no blood pressure, Cholesterol or Diabetes. But I am so scared of losing my life because of weight.

My husband didnt even bother checking on me when i had surgery.... Talk about unsupportive! :(

In the begining my boyfriend wasn't very suppotyive of me getting what he called "elective surgery" But when he found out how informed I was he realized I didn't make this decision lightly. He was at the hospitalthe whole day of surgery and visited me every day I was in there. I am now down 114 lbs since May. 79lbs since surgery in August. It will be worth it and I hope she comes around.

So despite the lack of support, do you regret your decision to do it?

I do not regret my decision, i had surgery in october and have lost 40lbs since.... I had to do what was best for me, sometimes in life you have to be selfish. if i would have listened to my husband i would still be obese and unhappy.... Listen to your heart, you do not want to have regrets later in life......

I do not regret my decision' date=' i had surgery in october and have lost 40lbs since.... I had to do what was best for me, sometimes in life you have to be selfish. if i would have listened to my husband i would still be obese and unhappy.... Listen to your heart, you do not want to have regrets later in life......[/quote']

Couldn't had said it better my self. Except lost 84 pounds but now hubby can't get enough if me.

It's sad to see partners (spouses, wives, husbands, boy/girlfriends) who cannot even show up at the hospital to see how you are doing, to offer their support.

My boyfriend has been part of this journey from the first seminar. He took time off from work to take care of me post op. He has been so caring and supportive, and makes sure I don't push myself. He makes sure I am getting all the liquids I need, he has taken care of all the housework and taken care of my cats. I couldn't ask for a better partner to share my life with. I feel so fortunate to have him in my life.

I agree with those who charge ahead - take care of yourself first. You want to be there for your kids and your family. You are brave to do it without the support that would make the journey that much more meaningful if your partner were there beside you. God bless you for being brave.

Stitch I am so happy you have had such support. That guy is a keeper no two ways about it. My Husband is very supportive also and I can't imagine him not being. But I would have still had the surgery even if he wasn't. I just would have probably made his life a bit miserable lol.

Fear of something happening to you is usually a lot of what is going on when a spouse or partner or even a family member is against you having surgery. They just remember any horror story they have ever heard and are afraid it is going to happen to you. My Husband new there were risks but he also knows the risks of my high blood sugars, high blood pressure and asthma. Like me he knew it was worth the risk to get healthy.

Obesity is a life-threatening disease that is the number two cause of preventable death in the U.S. No different in all of the ways that are important from any other disease. And the question you have to ask yourself when deciding on a treatment is what is the most effective option? Bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment known to medical science for treating obesity. Not by just a little, but by a huge margin. Diet and exercise for anyone with a BMI over 30 is a myth - it doesn't work. Doctors are just beginning to understand why it doesn't work but they've known for a long time that it is ineffective.

Sooner or later someone will likely tell you "it's the easy way out". Absolute nonsense spoken by someone who is ignorant of the facts. Treatment for a life-threatening disease is not a question of easy or hard. It's a question of effective.

Yes, there are risks as there are with any surgery. But the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor of having a successful, life-changing experience. And the risks of doing nothing are overwhelmingly against you.

Nuff said.

My mother is still giving me a hard time about the surgery. Its been 11 days and shes still telling me how she "cant have her daughter being smaller than her". Rude