Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had GBP on 11/21/11. I have been bouncing around for over a month with the same 5 lbs. this is insane. I tried changing up my exercise and no change. I am seeing the dr and nutritionist tomorrow. I am eating about a 1000 calories a day and sometimes I exercise so much that I zero out my calories. Any suggestions?

Plateaus are a natural part of weight loss and they can last up to six weeks. You might want to try increasing your Protein to 100g a day for two to three days. Or even longer for that matter - I've averaged 96g a day since Dec of last year. That will give your metabolism a boost and sometimes causes the body to start burning stored fat. What was your starting weight and where are you at now? I had my surgery on 10/20/11 so I'm only a month ahead of you. Stay focused on following the protocol, stay active, and stay away from the scales for a couple of weeks. I'd also be very interested in what your doctor says!

The last 4 days my Protein has been between 97-120 grams. My starting weight was 288 lbs, I am now down to 178 - 183 lbs. I am averaging 3+ miles walking a day. My carbs stay below 60 grams a day. I talked to the nutrionist a few weeks ago and told her what was going on, she told me not to worry the 5 lbs were probably Water weight. But for weeks? Been doing a lot of exercising the last few days, walking on the beach, playing in the ocean, riding a bike, pulling weeds etc. and still changing up the exercise did nothing. I know I am developing muscle anduscle weighs more than fat. But I am so frustrated. I will take any help or advice I can get.

Jewels, I'm 5' 9" and starting weight was 285. Five weeks ago I was 171 lbs and the my surgeon told me to increase my calorie intake to 1800 and if I lost more than an additional 10 lbs to call her. So...I didn't ask your height or gender but if your're male and 5' 9" tall, you are very close to a normal BMI of 25. Shorter and/or female you may have a little more to lose. Taller and you may already be there. I also believe that your body has its own ideas about where it wants to be weight wise and it pays to listen. Congratulations on a great job!! What is your height and gender? And what is your goal weight? I can't imagine that you're too far away!

WOW!! DL you are doing incredible. I am a female, 4' 11". My goal weight is 130 lbs. The nutrionist keeps telling me I am on schedule to be down to 150 by september. Honestly the way I have been feeling lately I highly doubt it. I do have other health issues to which I am wondering if tbey are affecting my weight loss. I had brain surgery 7 yrs ago to remove a left frontal lobe AVM, I also had a lumbar peritoneal shunt placed in my back that drains into my peritoneal (I have a condition called benign intracranial pressure/pseudotumor cerebrei. The shunt relieves the pressure in my head, its like having a 24/7 spinal tap). I have a chronic headache 24/7 that bever goes away, its just depends on how bad it gets as the day goes on, I also have some balance issues and memory issues. I was on high blood pressure meds for years and my primary dr lowered my dose two months ago and on the 13th took me off it. Yay!

OK, so what we're looking is a stall, plain and simple. All part of the process. The hardest part is getting your head around that. You've already lost more than a hundred pounds in eight months. Wow! You know that you're following the protocol and you know that it's working. You're exceptionally active and you know that it's working. You're getting a LOT of Protein and doing it on an incredibly low number of calories and you know that it's working. Jewels, I gotta say that you're already a huge success story!! What you're doing is sustainable, it's compatible with your goals and your abilities, and you have realistic expectations. I would not change a thing with one exception - stay away from the scales. Just keep doing what you're doing and let the weight take care of itself. I'd stay away from the scales for at least two weeks and after that, I'd wouldn't weigh more often than every two weeks. You're body has been working hard to adjust to all the changes. I'm thinking it's just taking a little break. And it will know when it's time to continue the journey. Take advantage of the break and give your mind a little rest as well!!

Thanks DL what your saying makes a lot of sense. Your right I have to wrap my head around it. I know its easier said than done. Can I ask you a question? Do you eat mostly nutrious meals or Protein bars/shakes? I usually have one Eas shake a day and a Protein Bar occasionally in the evening if I am want something sweet or low on protein for the day.

Hi Ms. Jewels! I do a combination of both. I have a 35g, 160-170 calorie Protein Shake (Pure Protein) every day for Breakfast. With few exceptions, it's all real food after that. My surgeon requires all of her patients get 100g of Protein a day. Challenging at first but as time went on I discovered tons of foods, fresh and packaged, that make it relatively easy at this point. I've compiled a list of high protein foods and I continuously add to it as I discover new gems. If you're interested, I'd be glad to send it to you (Excel file with three sheets) if you'll send me your email address.

I'm familiar with My Fitness Pal but not "on" it. I started using "Tap and Track Pro" on Dec. 7th of last year. It just happened to be the app with the best reviews on the day I was looking for a way to log my intake on my iPhone and I've used it every day for every single thing I eat right up to today. I've heard nothing but great things about My Fitness Pal and Spark People is supposed to be excellent as well. Food diaries are admittedly a little tedious but they are an incredibly powerful tool and I have every intention of using one for life!! Research studies have repeatedly shown that folks that log their food intake lose more weight and are more successful at maintaining their weight than folks who don't maintain a log.

P.S. I also occasionally have a Pure Protein bar to supplement my protein if I'm running low on any particular day. The chocolate Deluxe is absolutely delicious. Pure Protein makes them up to a whopping 78g of protein but the one that I buy is 20g of protein and 200 calories.

Ok, so I know I am eating right. Like today I had a eas shake for Breakfast, cottage double for snack, spinach salad with fresh veggies, feta cheese, 2 oz of ham, 2 oz of turkey, garlic Cesar salad topping and kens light northern Italian dressing. Then for snack I had dried beef roll ups. No dinner yet. My dr and nutrionist up me about a month ago from 800 calories to 1000 calories, increase my Protein from 60 gr to 80-100 gr. they did this cause I told them I was preparing to walk in a half marathon in sept. They all said to increase carbs by 20 gr and 20 gr for every 1 hr of exercise. But I find if I eat more than 60 gr of carbs I get sluggish the next day. Make any sense to you?

I would love your list of Proteins. Thanks so much!

My email is jewels1223@msn.com

O I like the chocolate chip pure Protein. I also have some Protein Bars from Bariatric Choice that I like. But I try to eat more nutrious meals to get the Vitamins and minerals. Plus I have been having issues with diarrhea, nutritionist told me it is the sugar alcohol that is causing it. Plus with not having my gallbladder I can't tolerate fatty meats.

I have been getting pains just below my breast bone occasionally for about two weeks now. Went to primary dr not my heart or lungs. The pain is like a brick on my chest or someone has a vice grip twisting my chest. The weird thing is that they happen at night but it happened the other morning on our way to the shore. Every time this happens I get up and eat 1 oz of nuts and the pain subsides. Going to have dr check it tomorrow.

Just emailed the Protein food list. Carb loading is important for intense exercise like a marathon or any kind of exercise where you're going to be burning a lot of energy. Carbs are king when it comes to energy. Just look at what the Olympians eat on the day of a competition - some of those guys eat 6000 calories for breakfast. Not sure why your increase of carbs would result in your being sluggish the next day. Possible that you're expending so much energy on heavy exercise days that you're exhausting the carbs and what you're feeling the next day is just the absence of carbs.

I'm pretty much stumped by the pain. Nuts are rich in poly and monounsaturated fats. Unfortunately that doesn't give me any ideas regarding what the cause of the pain might be. Possibly an ulcer? Are you seeing your surgeon tomorrow? The surgeon might be the best bet for diagnosing that pain. You also might want to look at what you have eaten preceeding the times when the pain surfaces. If it's an ulcer (or pre-ulcer), you may be able to identify what food or foods trigger it. Your doctor would probably like to know how long after you eat the pain occurs as well. That might help them narrow down if it's the pouch or lower in the small intestine or not related to the digestive tract at all. I'd be interested to hear what they say!

Hi, DL! Went to the drs today. Definately on a plateau. Two months ago I weighed in at 195 lbs, today I was 182 lbs. I have lost a total of 49 inches. Body fat % went from 56 to 39. They told me the honeymoon period is over. That from here on in diet and exercise are key. Told me to not to go over 1000 calories a day.

As for the pain I have been feeling, dr believes that it is either an ulcer or an internal hernia. He wants me to see a GI dr to get scoped. He is leaning more towards the ulcer due to the fact that I have been taking a prescription called meloxicam for arthritis, it is in the class of NSAIDS.

He also said that it's harder to lose weight for people under 5 ft. Great! Just another obstacle to overcome!

Just emailed the Protein food list. Carb loading is important for intense exercise like a marathon or any kind of exercise where you're going to be burning a lot of energy. Carbs are king when it comes to energy. Just look at what the Olympians eat on the day of a competition - some of those guys eat 6000 calories for breakfast. Not sure why your increase of carbs would result in your being sluggish the next day. Possible that you're expending so much energy on heavy exercise days that you're exhausting the carbs and what you're feeling the next day is just the absence of carbs.

I'm pretty much stumped by the pain. Nuts are rich in poly and monounsaturated fats. Unfortunately that doesn't give me any ideas regarding what the cause of the pain might be. Possibly an ulcer? Are you seeing your surgeon tomorrow? The surgeon might be the best bet for diagnosing that pain. You also might want to look at what you have eaten preceeding the times when the pain surfaces. If it's an ulcer (or pre-ulcer)' date=' you may be able to identify what food or foods trigger it. Your doctor would probably like to know how long after you eat the pain occurs as well. That might help them narrow down if it's the pouch or lower in the small intestine or not related to the digestive tract at all. I'd be interested to hear what they say![/quote']

Can I have the list as well ?