Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Age and surgery

I am 69 and will be 70 a month after surgery. My date is November4th. It's so great to read about others in this age group that have undertaken this adventure.

In the airport on the way to San Diego, I guess it is startin'! And after a week of liquids I'm not really hungry... or I'm nervous.

Wish me luck & blessings!

In the airport on the way to San Diego' date=' I guess it is startin'! And after a week of liquids I'm not really hungry... or I'm nervous. Wish me luck & blessings![/quote']

Traveling mercies for your trip and positive thoughts for your surgery.

i am 27. I am now 3 weeks post op and 22lbs lighter haha!

I am 62 , sleeved on 8/21/13. I was not weighed pre op in the hospital, so I do not know what my preop weight truely was. The day after surgery in the hospital I weighed 254, but that was after liters of IV Fluid. I know my regular Dr, has me 246 last time I weighed in with her before surgery. Any way, as of today 57 days post surgery I have lost 35 pounds, from my weigh in with my primary care doctor. If counting the hospital weight then 43 pounds. Down one shirt size, and clothing I was stuffed in are now loose. I think my weight loss is slow, as when I was younger 30 pound loss in 1 month was easy for me. Is anyone else in their 60's finding they are having slower weight loss, than in their youth.

Weight loss has never been easy for me. The most I ever lost on any diet was 38 pounds on Adkins 40 years ago. I don't remember how long that took. I was sleeved on 8/22/13, eight weeks tomorrow, & as of this morning I am down a "grand total" of 18.9 pounds since the day before surgery. The last two days I went back to Clear Liquids & 4 Protein Shakes a day just to try to "kick start" losing again. Tomorrow I see if I gain back any of the 5 pounds I lost in the last two days.

I am glad in a way that you shared about losing slow. I am 68 and will be sleeved on Tuesday. I expect to not lose extremely fast so I won't get discouraged.

I am 65 and glad to hear that I am not the only one having surgery. I just got my date yesterday. It will be November 11. Looking forward to feeling healtier after the excess weight is gone.

Well I did gain but only 0.1 pounds, nothing really. Time will tell. I don't think I should have to go back to clear liquids & Protein Shakes every week or two just to lose some weight. I'm eating about 800-900 calories a day & walking 30-45 minutes a day (as much as my knees & sacroiliac will allow). It just seems that every pound is a struggle. I could understand that if I were close to goal, but I'm not even half way there.

But you will get there. I absolutely do not want to regain the weight again, which is what happened in the past. We are at an age to appreciate and Celebrate every pound we lose.

Turning 67 in a few weeks. Was sleeved on June 4 and am down 64 pounds from 284 pounds. One 3 week stall and now another this week but I feel successful enough. Had hoped to break 200 for my birthday but will Celebrate the new year at a weight I haven't seen since I was in 8th grade.

I am 61, from the UK and funded my own sleeve op on 09/18 in France. Since then I have lost 21 pounds. In four weeks I am well pleased with that. But the biggest result has been my high blood pressure. From seven, yes seven, pills a day I am now down to one!

I emailed my French surgeon and his co-ordinator yesterday with my results and they were absolutely delighted with my progress. The co-ordinator has even invited me to post my progress on their testimonial page. Their emails back to me were so positive and encouraging it give me a real boost. Being self pay I have no NUT and a lot of food items have been trial and error.

I read a lot of the topics on this forum and people worry about the craziest things. Their common sense seems to have flown out the window.

I say to anyone in their sixties to go for it, you will not regret it. Especially if like me you take a lot of pills. It doesn't matter if you lose it slowly and it maybe takes two years to get to your goal. You WILL get your life back. The doctor does his job but the rest is up to you.

Best of luck to everyone who has surgery coming up. You CAN do it and my thoughts are with you.

Thanks for your positive reinforcement and for sharing your success. I can hardly wait until Tuesday. I will be rewarding my weight lists with a trip to Europe next fall. Wand to feel beautiful.

When I started this process my general practioner was on medical leave. Yesterday was my first visit to see him. He was not positive about the surgery and asked me loads of questions about my thought process in this decision. He also asked about the preliminary testing I went through. I think I answered the questions to his satisfaction, but the last thing he asked me was about the mental issues that sometime arise after surgery. I have never had a chronic depression but in different stages of life had situational depression (children leaving home, problem with marriage). I get over those thing fairly fast but do experience a definite dip in life during them. Has anyone experienced a depression after this? I must say I had psychological test and spoke one one one with psychologist and that was never a concern of his.

I'm 51, and was 50 when I had this surgery 10 months ago. I've lost 122 pounds and have around 30-40 to go. Weight loss has slowed in the past three months, but still coming off. I look and feel better, and I'm so happy I did this every day. It really changed my life for the better. Even if I never lose another pound, I'm so much better off than I was!