Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness and sleeping

I don't know if this is relevant for you but when that happens to me' date=' it's my thyroid and the meds are over correcting and making me hypothyroid or over active thyroid. Could you have a thyroid problem? Random guess here but prominent in my mind since I had to get my dose reduced today for exactly this reason. Maybe worth looking ip other hypo symptoms to see if they fit.[/quote']

Interesting theory. No idea. It might be worth following up on. My sleep is still on the to be desired front as I wake up at 3am nightly. Falling asleep is no issue at all. I have never been told I have anything interesting going on with my thyroid. Is it a blood draw or some other type of test?

It's a simple blood test. Easy to check. Hope you can figure it out!

Interesting theory. No idea. It might be worth following up on. My sleep is still on the to be desired front as I wake up at 3am nightly. Falling asleep is no issue at all. I have never been told I have anything interesting going on with my thyroid. Is it a blood draw or some other type of test?

Your comment here reminds of an article I read recently on the "myth" of the eight hour night of sleep: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

If you're sleeping, but not feeling rested upon waking, perhaps research the symptoms of adrenal fatigue and see if they apply to you. Emotional and physical stress can lead to adrenal fatigue, and the above suggestion of possible overtraining might be that physical stress. Just a thought...

Your comment here reminds of an article I read recently on the "myth" of the eight hour night of sleep: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

If you're sleeping' date=' but not feeling rested upon waking, perhaps research the symptoms of adrenal fatigue and see if they apply to you. Emotional and physical stress can lead to adrenal fatigue, and the above suggestion of possible overtraining might be that physical stress. Just a thought...[/quote']

That was a seriously good read, especially since I am awake to read it here at 3 am. :) My sleep pattern does seem to be just that; two blocks, with 30 min wake time in between. I sometimes also like to have a 30 minute nap after lunch before returning to work (at home). Working out for me is usually about 1-1.5 hours around 4 or 5 pm. It is not 90 minutes of constant working out hard. It is more like 30-40 minutes of mobility work and stretching, 20 minutes of warming up (a moderate workout of running, rowing and gymnastic exercises like push-ups, pull-ups, situps, hand stands, etc), 20-30 min of a strength skill work (deadlifts, cleans, s n a t c h e s, push press, etc), 10-40 minutes of a WOD (an all out intense workout), and then 20 minutes or so of more gymnastic skill work like double unders, rebound box jumps or kipping pullups. Cross fit is my exercise 5x a week. Length of WOD really does vary every day. I would say most are between 10-20 minutes, but some have been longer between 30-40 min. Not sure of the calorie burn. Weight has stayed fairly constant (175) and I eat when hungry (every 2-3 hours) something Protein and good carb.

What stimulants are you using to handle all that training? Guarantee that is your problem. Even if you think you are stim free I would bet you are not and that there is an ingredient in something you are taking that is keeping you awake.

What stimulants are you using to handle all that training? Guarantee that is your problem. Even if you think you are stim free I would bet you are not and that there is an ingredient in something you are taking that is keeping you awake.

Just some caffeine from coffee before training.

There an insomnia thread in the powder room with people reporting exactly what you're going through. Fall asleep just fine and then wide awake at 3 am. Maybe worth checking out

Ugh! I'm with you on the 3 a.m. Wake up call. I've tried everything over the years but not the GABA

When I had my sleep study, which I knew would be a joke because I would be unable to sleep just because I needed too (that may be tough to follow) the physician's conclusion was I had "poor sleep quality." Really.

I actually slept through the night last night. The small miracles in life that get taken for granted... :)

Well that's good! sleep is crucial.

Spoke too soon. :( 5 hours last night and interrupted 5 hours at that. Should I go to the dr and get a big hammer to force sleep?

Spoke too soon. :( 5 hours last night and interrupted 5 hours at that. Should I go to the dr and get a big hammer to force sleep?

Melatonin's not working? New studies showing melatonin isn't just helpful for sleeping, it's also helpful in preventing alzheimers and other brain function.

Melatonin's not working? New studies showing melatonin isn't just helpful for sleeping' date=' it's also helpful in preventing alzheimers and other brain function.[/quote']

Actually, I went to the PCP yesterday and talked to him about my sleep issues. He said the melatonin I currently take is very low to be therapeutic (1 mg = 1 ml). He suggested I increase to 5 mg and try that for a few weeks. So I went and picked up some 5 mg nature bounty brand. There is also 10 mg. I took the 5 mg last night and slept much better. However, am groggy this am. Trouble getting up. :) Not a problem though because I am sure my body will get used to it soon. Starting vacation today also and will give me an opportunity to get used to it, since not needing to get up at 5am. Yay.

I'm still struggling with this as well; 4am seems to be my 'wake up time', but my alarm doesn't go off until 6. So basically I toss & turn until about 5:45 when I finally start to settle down, only to be woken back up by my alarm in 15 minutes. The melatonin doesn't work for me; makes me too groggy. I find if I can go to bed early then the 4am wake up doesn't affect me so negatively, but I live in a house of night owls, so going to bed early would necessitate earplugs!

I'm going to have to find a solution soon - the sleep deprivation is starting to affect my memory and ability to function at work. I'm tired all the time, and the constant yawning is irritating.

Wow, I am experiencing the same thing. I wake up around 4am every morning. Using herbs help me sleep till 5am. On occasions a very small glass of red wine helps to relax my muscles and my racing mind. I can sleep all night then. When I am desperate, kava kava root power. Use very sparingly! I may use kava once every 3 months, or if I am having muscle spasms.