Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

I did a bad bad thing.

Views
Started by natalie_christin, Sep 24, 2013 10:59 PM
72 replies to this topic
72 replies to this topic

natalie_christin

Expert Member

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted September 24, 2013 - 10:59 PM

So, I'm one week postop and I have been very good for the most part when it comes to not eating anything but Jell-O or chicken broth. Today I got to start cream type soups – cream and mushroom, Cream of chicken – that sort of thing. I forgot until now that I was also allowed to go back on my protein checks. I don't know if I'm going to pay for this but, I hoping that I won't. I don't know if any of you live around Central to South Texas but there's a restaurant here called Bill Miller's – people typically like their fried chicken or brisket or things of that nature. I couldn't obviously get any of that but when my father got some chicken, -where would I… I got a couple of small slices of roasted turkey. I didn't anticipate eating both slices but, I made sure that I cut them up small and shoot them about 1 million times before swallowing. I did eat 2 tablespoons of mushroom soup to go along with it just in case but, I really felt like I needed protein. For the past week or so I felt dizzy and sometimes I had to catch myself to avoid falling. I understand the importance of following the diet and being strict about it but, I feel like I tried to make a good choice for the situation. Any thoughts?

a_jap21

Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:03 PM

So, I'm one week postop and I have been very good for the most part when it comes to not eating anything but Jell-O or chicken broth. Today I got to start cream type soups – cream and mushroom, Cream of chicken – that sort of thing. I forgot until now that I was also allowed to go back on my protein checks. I don't know if I'm going to pay for this but, I hoping that I won't. I don't know if any of you live around Central to South Texas but there's a restaurant here called Bill Miller's – people typically like their fried chicken or brisket or things of that nature. I couldn't obviously get any of that but when my father got some chicken, -where would I… I got a couple of small slices of roasted turkey. I didn't anticipate eating both slices but, I made sure that I cut them up small and shoot them about 1 million times before swallowing. I did eat 2 tablespoons of mushroom soup to go along with it just in case but, I really felt like I needed protein. For the past week or so I felt dizzy and sometimes I had to catch myself to avoid falling. I understand the importance of following the diet and being strict about it but, I feel like I tried to make a good choice for the situation. Any thoughts?

I totally understand you... I am so done with liquids i swear i cant anymore.. They give me headaches! Did you feel sick? Cause that is what really matters!

RJ'S/beginning

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Sylvain Beausoleil
  • Surgery Date: Nov 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 8 inches
  • Starting Weight: 381
  • Weight Lost: 211
  • Current Weight: 170
  • Goal Weight: 170
  • BMI: 25.8
  • My Blogs
Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:07 PM

No not a good choice girl. One week out, your stitches can let loose very easily. You have to give your stomach the time it needs to heal....Your body cannot handle solids yet either because the acids that break the food down has not come back yet....

Please don't play with your sleeve and eat stuff that can harm you right now....We want you to succeed!! Lastly we don't want you to get a leak by stretching out your sleeve before it is healed....K

GoldyGirl

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: Lee Trotter
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2013
  • Starting Weight: 263
  • Weight Lost: 131
  • Current Weight: 132
  • Goal Weight: 155
  • BMI: 20.1
  • My Blogs
Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:09 PM

Dizziness is a sign of dehydration. I have had to go in 3 times for IV fluids, so I do know about it. Drink Drink Drink, the good H2O. but if you are already dizzy and if it is worse when you go from sitting to standing or laying to standing, you are already behind…. Go Ask for IV fluids….I had them last week 2 liters….
:o

RJ'S/beginning

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Sylvain Beausoleil
  • Surgery Date: Nov 2012
  • Starting Weight: 381
  • Weight Lost: 211
  • Current Weight: 170
  • Goal Weight: 170
  • BMI: 25.8
  • My Blogs
Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Dizziness is a sign of dehydration. I have had to go in 3 times for IV fluids, so I do know about it. Drink Drink Drink, the good H2O. but if you are already dizzy and if it is worse when you go from sitting to standing or laying to standing, you are already behind…. Go Ask for IV fluids….I had them last week 2 liters….
:o

try some G2 Gatorade and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water and you will be able to keep hydrated that way.....k

natalie_christin

Expert Member

Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:32 PM

No not a good choice girl. One week out, your stitches can let loose very easily. You have to give your stomach the time it needs to heal....Your body cannot handle solids yet either because the acids that break the food down has not come back yet.... Please don't play with your sleeve and eat stuff that can harm you right now....We want you to succeed!! Lastly we don't want you to get a leak by stretching out your sleeve before it is healed....K

You're right, I know you're right. I won't do it again. I guess I just had to tell somebody. I'm just trying to take care of myself.
Get tip on the Gatorade thing, my doctors office didn't say anything about that as far as being able to have it. They actually specifically said no Gatorade even when watered-down yes that was my typical trick. I researched these doctors and have looked at them fully for several years but, I guess I'm not one of the lucky patients that they had because they haven't really come on over things very well and they say one thing and then something different so I'm getting a lot of misinformation.

Kindle

Bariatric Hero

• Surgeon: Ariel Ortiz
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 238 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 101 lbs
  • Current Weight: 137 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 22.8
Posted September 24, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Did they give you a reason for no Gatorade? That just seems like a weird protocol unless its a sugar thing ( in which case G2 should be OK). I'm a big vitamin water/life water fan, so I wonder if your doc would OK those.

mlcarawan

Advanced Member

• Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Current Weight: 232 lbs
  • BMI: 37.4
Posted September 25, 2013 - 12:20 AM

Yum, Bill Millers! :) what area of Texas are you from? I'm near Corpus Christi...

Anywho, about a week after surgery I felt like you, just had the need to chew something. You have to remember to take it slow though and give your tummy time to heal. Start drinking your protein shakes and getting your liquids in and you'll be eating "real food" before you know it! My craving was more for chewing than anything so I also started chewing sugar free gum again. It helped a lot. Good luck to you!!

natalie_christin

Expert Member

Posted September 25, 2013 - 12:25 AM

Yum, Bill Millers! :) what area of Texas are you from? I'm near Corpus Christi... Anywho, about a week after surgery I felt like you, just had the need to chew something. You have to remember to take it slow though and give your tummy time to heal. Start drinking your protein shakes and getting your liquids in and you'll be eating "real food" before you know it! My craving was more for chewing than anything so I also started chewing sugar free gum again. It helped a lot. Good luck to you!!

I love corpus! I love the beach – I'm originally from California but I live in San Antonio now. Honestly, It wasn't an issue of chewing something but rather more of an issue of feeling like I needed the protein. According to my diet, I wasn't allowed a protein shake yet and I guess I should've just chanced that instead of having the turkey but I was trying to do the best I could with what I had I guess. We were already out and I had to pick up medication and I thought that if I shredded it enough that it would go in with the broth decently.

imfatpat

Expert Member

Posted September 25, 2013 - 1:20 AM

Turkey?? At a week out? Not good. Hope you can come to terms with your food issues soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics